Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new pc world woes

• 06-09-2003 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Well lads, bit of a nightmare story here.

The brother rang me at 2pm, I was in bed with a severe hangover, the type your only 40% functional with, he wanted to go pc shopping. I said yeah no problems as hes helped me out of sticky ones in the past.

I told him I'd buy him the parts online and get a ninja to do the building like gerry here. But no he wanted the pc now. I said **** it, hes not a demanding fps gamer or CAD artist so he just needs an alright pc.

Drive down to Pc World and a couple of others places, the best deals are in PC Wolrd. After much debate we settle for a pc that actually hasnt got integreated gfx and 256ram. It was an Emachine, basically 512 ddr ram, radeon 9200 64meg, 80 gig hard drive and a celeron 2.4 ghz processor, tft 15 " inch etc etc 999 euro. I kept saying we can do better etc but no this was it.

The bro dropped me back to my apartment and brought the pc home, got a call at 10.45 pm saying that an error 'operating system not loaded was coming up. I asked yer man specifically was the OS pre-installed and if the CD was with the package, he confirmed both with a yes. I have a windows 2000 cd here and have access to a dell XP cd. What should i do? first and foremost is to get it up and running but he really should have his XP cd and key instead of 3 system restore/backup disks? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Don't touch it, bring it back first thing tomorrow. Cause a huge stink. See what you can get in the way of compensation, or use it as an excuse to dump it and convice your bro to let you assemble from parts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

I reckon its fairly ripped apart right now, I'm very placcid with a hangover..............oh **** it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

just put it all back togeather and got down there and complain they will sort out the pc for you but i would really recomend to give it back if you can and build it yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

if you cause a bit of fuss they'll give you some freebies... you know the whole... this is a disgrace type of thing.. this shouldnt have happened etc.... the guy in the shop usually rings his manager and asks how much free stuff he can give away...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 441 ✭✭colin300

I was buying a new PC a while ago and I bought it from Currys in Blanchardstown and I asked the guy will I be able to put in a Zip 100 internal drive and to my surprise he goes 'WHY? You have a cdrw drive with this computer. I started to get really annoyed with him then. Challengen me on something he wants to sell. Eventually he said yeah it will work all you need is a 5'25inch bay which I had asked in the first place for. He said no you'll have to get it somewhere else but he didn't know where. So then I went down to PC World and they said go over to Maplin they should have one and they did.
    So I got the computer home and tried to put the zip in but when the computer loaded nothing came up on the IDE cable not even the CD/rw i took the cdrw drive off and it found the zip then after a while i took the ide cable from the computer I was changing and it worked. So i tried ringing PC world support to get a new cable send out but no thats software so they gave us a 1.27euro a minute line. Took me a minute to find out they had nothin to do with currys so then I brought it back and got a refund they were going to give it to me at the time i was bringing it back but they had no cash.

I then went for a dell which was my original nothing like custom built computers and actual support. Plus I have to say they have the best computers. I didn't really want to buy a converbelt machine and that just sealed it.

Just go in and start waffling about this and that about the computer and since they are all thick you'll out smart them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I bought a laptop of them.. I moaned and really pushed my luck.

Got a Laptop bag (80 quid), MS Optical mouse (60 quid) and a Panasonic MP3 player (400 quid)..... Poor fella didnt know what hit him.

Thanks for all the replies lads.
    I just got off the phone with my brother. Hes bringing the pc back in now. I told him to push his luck and try get extra goodies like some of you cowboys seem to have done ;). I dont think he will even wait and extra week or whatever to go get a dell *sigh*.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

this is the ladder of pc buying

pcworld/currys/dixons (same company)

Hp

Dell

Building your own

he should wait and build the pc cos ppl should never rush into buying a pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    this is the ladder of pc buying

pcworld/currys/dixons (same company)

Hp

Dell

Building your own

he should wait and build the pc cos ppl should never rush into buying a pc.

Nice one the "ladder" :) Mind you you forgot the step between Dell and building your own: have it built by decent professionals like Marx or Elara or some others. Almost same benefits as building your own and they don't charge you for it as long as you buy all components from them

Personally, I build my own :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

omg jesus_thats_gre where u dealin with a retard!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    I bought a laptop of them.. I moaned and really pushed my luck.

Got a Laptop bag (80 quid), MS Optical mouse (60 quid) and a Panasonic MP3 player (400 quid)..... Poor fella didnt know what hit him.
    Was there something wrong with the PC or did you just get that stuff when you bought it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

bring it back:rolleyes: get them to fix they should have done it for you

Alright lads,

My brother brought the pc back in the next morning and told them the problem balh blah. Some indian techy guy said that yes something was majorly wrong here so my brother aksed for the same pc but a different pc :). They were somewhat reluctant at first but agreed anyhow. Yer man said that it was very rare for one of these emachines to come back into the shop>?!!? He didnt go rambo mode and ask for free ****, just not his style i guess.

All is fine anyhow, until about 9pm that night i get a buzz from the bro. 'John the pc is shutting itself down after a few minutes online'? i asked him what the error message was , RPC he says. Basically after being online for 10 minutes, registering on the eircom site as a user, he got the blaster worm. L'O' FU*KING 'L.
    whats the story with that? is the rat still not clean or what? i spent the next hour telling him how to make the pc stay up logn enough to download the patches, enable firewall etc. ****ing joke ***.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

afaik very few places are actually applying the patch in the shop/factory, so i.e. every new xp user (unless they leave on the internet connection firewall) will get this, i spose until MS release a ew service pack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭irishguy

there is a new service pack out for xp version 1a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

dont trust pc world ffs haven't u heard wot happened to gary gilter?

Advertisement