Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help!! Partion FUK Up

Options
  • 07-09-2003 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

I was just resizing my c drive to make a swap drive for a linux install, i was resizing with Partion magic 8 and my PC crashed in the middle of resizing, Restarting my pc i got an Os Error and i used a windows recovery disk and it said that c drive has errors or is corrupted, i quickly installed xp again on a different partition (which im using now) and my C drive is showing up as "healthy unknown partition"

Is there anyway i can recover this as a bootable drive and save the data on it?

I have BB connection so downloading software isnt a problem

I really want this back if possible

Sean

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

a program called get data back wil do this for you, but it costs about $70

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ouch! 70Euros........ bang it on the company CC!!!
    Will look for it now...........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

http://www.runtime.org/

You can try it before you buy the reg code, it gets to the stage where it scans and tells you which files are recoverable before you need to register. Make sure you get the right version for your fliesystem (FAT or NTFS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Ooooops! Me not like the sounds of dat
    Had the very same prob just this week. The partition is marked as a PqRp partition? Unfortunately chances of recoverin all data are slim - I used runtimes s/ware and that really didn't help either. There is a DOS based app called ptedit that you can mark the partition as being a NTFS partition but this will be limited in its success too :( Even tho you can see your data the file pointers are all mucked up as they no longer point to the correct locations on the physical disk due to the resize process so you end up gettin the middle/end of a file for the start of one. An app opening it up will just see a corrupt file. Best try the above suggestions recover what you can if at all (don't hold out any hope if the partition contained many small files) and then reformat the partition.

Dizz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Ok,
    I used easyrecovery 6 (neaver heard of it either)
    And it recovered all of the files with "minimal loss" I then Ghosted the recovered Partition to another partion (same size) and tried to boot from this drive, i got as far as the XP Pro splash screen and then i got a quick flash of the BSOD and the PC restarted, keeps doing this, so i just booted into the working partion (this one) and took all the important stuff off the recovered drive, but im gonna have to do a fresh install.......... Suxx ass, its gonna take me 2-3 weeks to install all my shiP again to get it back to what it was like!!!!!
    All i can say is thank god i keep a folder of all the program install .exe/.zips files that i downloaded on another drive.

thanks Guys/Gals

Sean

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Sean,

Is it possible for you to do the following:

Boot up with xp cd - at the prompt press 'r' for repair - then enter the following command;

chkdsk /p /r

this should fix any errors on the disk and leave it bootable. Try that and see what happens - i had a similar problem earlier and this command made it bootable again - i then got a copy of acronis partition expert (as opposed to partition magic which had caused the problem in the first place) and resized the partition with it.

Give it a shot and see what happens...

Advertisement