Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Qestion??

Options
  • 07-09-2003 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Ok I have a bit of a delima, I have 4 years no-claims bonus in my own name, I havent had a insurnace policy in my own name for nearly 2 years, After 2 years this no claims bonus will go dead on me...

Ive been driving a company car with nearly 3 years now..

I have got quotes for insurance in my own name for a few cars, the Insurance company will allow my driving under the company pilicy aswell as my private policy that I had myslef

But If I loose my no claims and need to buy a car after a 6 months, my insurance will be crazy high as im on 23 years old

So my question is can I take out an insurance policy on lets say my fathers car, even tough the car wont be registeted in my own name just so I wont loose my no claims bonus

What would ye recommend???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

apologies if I'm way off here but...Have you tried tried to insure your no claims bonus, ie ya pay a bit more but if you do have an accident and have to claim your no claims won't be affected. Think its mad myself but its there. Maybe you gotta have a set level of no claims before you can, I dunno, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Im afraid your on the mark on this one, but thanks you see I havent held a policy in my own name for nearly 2 years , so come November If I dont take out a policy in my own name I will loose my 4 years no claims bonus, I think the only way to keep my no claims active is to take out a insurnace policy in my own name again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

I'm sure you can make up a car and insure it. Insurance co's don't check anything unless you make a claim. At least this has been my experience, but mileage may vary etc. But I would be amazed if it's worth the money. One thing you can do is insure a car, imaginary or otherwise, and then tell the insurance company that you're taking it off the road. You will then get a significant discount as you're only insured for fire & theft. This is typically a discount in the order of 75%. Set the value of the vehicle to something very low and you might even get a higher discount.

Perhaps you can explain how you can have 7 years driving experience when you're 23 as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭tech

Well I strated driving in my own name once I was 17 for 4 years , But between those years I was insured on a company car even tough it was a part time job for a years so that 5 years between 17-21, I ve explain this to the insurance company and they are allowing 5 years no claims in the space of 4 years, I now Im driving a company van since 2001-Date so yep they are allowing me 7 years no claims ... how bad

I got a full comp quote from AXA last week for a 02 Golf GT TDI 110BHP for €1200 which isint bad for a 23 year olf?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

I work for a big insurance co, and As da man said i reckon ur best bet would be to buy a cheap heap o sheet 1 litre take out insurance on it for the year, and then after the first month just suspend it. You'll be refunded 75% of ur premium pro-rata on the remainder of the policy as the car is still covered F&T and you'll get to keep ur NCD and also add a year onto it at the end of the year...........

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Hey Pedro, do u get any sort of discount on insurance as an employee like? I was just wondering that.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

So Pedro - can I get this right. I am currently in the North, have full no claims but am going to have to cancel my insurance.
    So to keep my NCB you recommend buyin a heap, insuring for it for a month or so and cancelling, this will keep my NCB intact for the year?

Originally posted by yop

So to keep my NCB you recommend buyin a heap, insuring for it for a month or so and cancelling, this will keep my NCB intact for the year?

No not cancelling, just SUSPENDING. there's a difference, ppl usually suspend their policies for a lot of reasons, u can make 1 up, a good 1 is that ur goin away for a year and dont wanna sell the car.

And yes i get a 50% discount of all insurance policies!

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Is it possible to do this (suspend and keep NCD) for more than one year ?

I have heard of people (in their 30's) who have been away for a few years and have been asked silly prices to get insured again here - even asked to produce ALL of their old insurance certs !

dont know if u could supend for more than 1 year.......but then again u dont have to since ur NCD lasts for 2 years until expiring. Therefore u could suspend for 1 year and then let it lapse for the second and then take up a policy again a year later using ur NCD.

Peter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opto

Some insurance companies will give you NCB in respect of your company car period, your company has to provide whatever information is required

Advertisement