Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not a big problem but annoying...

• 07-09-2003 7:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭

iv just put togheter a pc and its running good but i have to click the power on button twice to boot the h/d n such..

quiet annoying.. all the connectors are perfect aswel..
    im a bit baffled,

thanks in advance,
    cartman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

possably a mainboard setting? sounds a bit odd. what's happening exactly? does it boot and say "no hard disk detected" or something similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Make the hard disk pre-delay in the bios settings longer, cos your hard disk isnt up to a sufficent speed for it to be read. On your second boot up the disk is already spinning so it would get to the right rpm before it is read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Dempsey
    Make the hard disk pre-delay in the bios settings longer, cos your hard disk isnt up to a sufficent speed for it to be read. On your second boot up the disk is already spinning so it would get to the right rpm before it is read.

Yeah have had this as well. Pretty old hard disk, is it ;)
    Dempsey's solution should fix this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Make it do longer POST checks. - esp. the memory one or the floppy sek test . - might give it time for the Drive to settle down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

This is a brand new 80gig Maxtor 7200rpm... Ill try Dempseys thing n get back to ya,
    thanks for the advice

• Advertisement

Ok,
    theres no option in the bios to pre delay the hard drive:/
    The board is k7s5a... also when i click it twice most of the time i have to ctrl+alt+del it to actually get into the bios mostly not always though...

I really need this fixed..

any more ideas.
    thanks,
    cartman

[just incase some1 advises to flash the bios i did that a week ago...]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If none of my other suggestions work - change the boot order

PXE
    CD
    Floppy
    Other Removable Devices (SCSI)
    Then HDD.

Should slow it a bit

ok, this is starting to piss me off big time:/
    This is exactly what happens...

I pres the power button.. The Red light comes on for the H/d running but the green power light doesnt light up...

I press the power button a 2nd time, Green light comes on but still doesnt boot....

I do ctrl+alt+del and it finally boots.....

Very odd and very annoying:(

can anyone help me all the buttons connectors are on properly and everything is fine with the pc apart from this,.

thanks,
    cartman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

out of interest, have you tested it in any other machines? if it boots fine its a mobo setting/problem.

Advertisement