Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake3, Biitches. (A Devore-length post, and no, I'm not ****ed)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

so like, is the rock vacant then like?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

For the very first time I understand how you Q1 guys feel when it comes to Q2.
    I feel sorta cheated now that Q3 is coming out. I've worked hard to learn the Q2 levels and develop a feel for it... get to know players... learn to love the weapons...

Yes thats the thing, but we can all have a fresh start with Q3, anyway Vor your talents for this type of game is never a waste, the basic principles that apply to one apply to them all, ie. Movement, aiming etc, only the physics, weps and maps change, I noticed for example when we played last night that even though I beat you bad on DM4 that your aim was actually better than mine, just that you hadn't a clue what to be doing, I just had the advantage of always having more armour and being in a better position than you, but on a more even situation you always won the fight.

Anyway as zero said we have to try and make a commitment to at least give Q3 a real chance if we are to save the "Quake" scene here but I can't say I agree with zero and Mickah on splitting quake clans up and starting from scratch because personally ourselves in CW go back a long long way from Indigo CTF when we hardly knew anyone or anything about DM and theres a strong bond there that I don't want to see broken and I'm sure most of the others in CW feel the same. I'd imagine MP wouldn't like INC split up either after all the work he's put in to building the clan up to what it is today and like CW thats a clan thats been here for years and always stayed "IRISH" and never gave in to taking a) D*ckheads and b) UK ninjas and still manage to be strong. It's very easy for anyone to go around and pick people who they see for the first time on a server kickin ass and forming a clan but these clans don't last p*ssing time, the one thing that makes a clan strong like INC and CW is that we all know each other in real life and get on well. The likes of ABAT's strength lies in the core of it's Irish players who know each other in real life but their UK players will come and go when they feel like it causing instability in the clan, a perfect example of this is one of their UK players 2 weeks ago asked me could he join CW after he had a row with Daaa, and I'd only seen this guy for the first time! The reason I formed CW was to get away from this sort of muppetry when we were all in DAoD (American/Irish clan)

Blade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

One major problem I can see with q3 is that its one of the new breed of games that NEEDS a 3d accelerator. The problem is that I doubt (maybe i'm wrong) that many college PCs will have such cards. This will make college play alot harder and lets face it, a good chunk of Irish quake players are playing from college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

Yeah, unless microsoft release word 3d, although our pc's in college have an 8mg rage 3d card i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Just coming from a half-hour discussion on IRC on the whole thing.

Anyone can see that if the four main Q1 clans in Ireland move to Q3, forgetting Q2 for a minute, the whole thing would end up like it is today, the few top clans know their sh*t in a clan war, know their tactics, etc., everyone else is left behind. The reason CA is so big in this country is because u only have a few clans worth talking about, they learn new tricks, keep their teamplay, anyone new starting Quake was either drafted into a mickymouse clan or left to rot on the CA servers. There are a lot of so-called muppets who would probably be very effective as a teamplayer if they were playing for any sort of decent team.
    I'm not saying, Oh all clans split up and form new ones with muppets in them. What we need is a decent even distribution of talented players, not four clans with 9 or 10 players in them hogging all the power and the knowledge of how to play the game.
    Quake is dead, or at least Irish Quake is dead. The IQCL crashed and burned, there are f*ckall decent clans around, yet loads of players. More is done in Quake1 on the f*ckin IRC server than anywhere else, and I'm sure most people will agree with me, Quake is gone boooooooring.
    Quake3 will be new and fresh, a race to see who can be the best, it will be FUN again.
    I volunteer to run the IQ3CL, hopefully we can start it late this summer if enuff ppl start playing, and we can have some fun.

Zero.

P.S. While it's bothering me :
    <von> you're talking specifically bout splitting CW up i think z : )

The good thing about Q3 is it will get rid of 'up-ureself' attitudes like this one, at least for a while. Just think of it, for at least 6 months nobody sitting up on their Beast's knee looking down their noses at you. von, I was best in this country when you were still in ure Quake nappies. Looking forward to raping ure gay a$$ in Q3.

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited 05-05-99).]

• Advertisement

I'd say that the IQ3CL will be a toss up between HIV & DzR, I really don't think you guys should worry about it smile.gif

on a more serious note, you can't compete in the UK unless you have at least 8 active dedicated players in a clan so I can't see the main Q2 clans splitting.

Oh and before anyone splits CW up, HIV formally challenge their arses in a Q3 war. prepare to TAKE IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

In Q3, right, will there be a Rocket Launcher?

If so, will it fire rockets or will it just be like... a dud? Like if there IS going to be an RL in there like in Q1 and Q2 then like will they bring rockets over aswell or will it be like a melee weapon? You know like a big pipe for bashing heads?

Were there rockets for the Rocket Launcher in Q1 and Q2? I never found out 'cos my fire button was bound to MOUSE1 and like MOUSE1 is broke... have to navigate windows using the keys... getting sorta good at it now tho.

Anyway I've never killed anyone with the RL in Q1 or Q2 'cos like all I can use it as is like a weapon for bashing in heads and it's sorta hard to bash heads when other players have guns that fire bullets at me like and kill me.

Did y'ever think about going to sea on a boat? Fishing like. You know on 2FM they have that thing where they give people Friday off from work. Like they organise it with their boss or whatever... dunno how it works. Well what if your a self-employed fisherman. How do you get the day off then? Do 2FM give you money equal to the amount of fish you would of caught?

Sometimes people forget that we're actually living on an island... maybe it's just things have got so busy...

...I dunno.

[This message has been edited by Vorosha (edited 06-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

here, what did i say about those pills?

and where did yur rock go?

you are getting too weird. put yer suit back on and reform dali.it'll give you something to do

[This message has been edited by WhiteWashMan (edited 06-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

I hate to put a downer on this but we're prolly not gonna see q3 till just before xmas, so why don u q1 lads move to q2 and start practicin for it smile.gif

Re clans: I can't really see DzR splitting up either.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

I think I agree with Zero in that clans should be more fairly distributed, but its never gonna happen. I can't imagine anyone in CW leaving the rock-solid core of Beast + Tomb behind, or anyone in scobe wanting to leave and not play with the likes of Koopa and Bunny. However, I think clan competition has the potential to be large and self-sustaining (!), so long as a majority of Q1 and Q2'ers play the game. Personally, I'd love to 'ave a go at HIV and DZR, as I'm sure they'd like to take a crack at CW and INC. So bring it on, and let us move forward together, to heal this rift between q1 and q2, building new bridges together. (I insist that the members of Q2 fully decommission their railguns first tho).

Anyway, I'm going almost totally concentrate on Q2 between now and then. Man, I really like Q2 smile.gif

Dan

challenge.jpg

• Advertisement

Jesus people arent going to wait till the game actually comes out for sale to play it, you can play the test for a few months. Anyways you quake2 lads should move to quake1 to get practicing. Quake 2 muppets will be shafted in Quake3! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Well playin the test is all well and good, but if you've played it you'll know there is only one proper map in it. id did hint that there would be a demo released and seeing as the full game won't be available for a long while yet I reckon we may see a demo this summer.

shank1@usa.net
    q2n.quake.ie

Scarab, the only things we'd learn from qw is the maps plus the physics of the game, thats where I found I was weakest when I played it, whenever I did play CA I tended to get killed when I reversed into a wall instead of a door etc. in the middle of a fight or misjudging the reload/speed of the RL etc. the fact that i can't setup my keys the same way as i have them in q2 also gets me, as afaik you can't bind stuff to the numeric keypad in qw.

anyways, the qw shaft is just a short range q2 chaingun, same principle of use applies.

theres no point really in us q2'ers learning the qw physics when q3 is going to be different.

[This message has been edited by ButcherOfNog (edited 06-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

you can hold ppl in the air with the quake2 chaingun??

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Ahhh but Q2 doesnt have air movement, def doesnt have the gameplay speed or weapon change speed.. and q3 will have all these.. yahay smile.gif

And my point was that it isnt going to be Quake2 either. It's a mix between the two. There is poxy stupid annoying useless weapon change times and weapons from quake2, mmm railgun, and from quake there is air control as part of the physics, u lads really dont know what u are missing with this, also there are going to be quake weapons in there too, ive used that chaingun thingy and its not at all like the shaft, possibly it aims a little the same, but that is where the similarity ends. i mean you cant bokk someone up into the air and hold them up with the chaingun, now can you.

ID are aiming for a game between quake1 and quake2, i think they realise that they went too far in terms of realim with quake2, making it slower and no air movement and all.
    Which is why quake was so much more popular, even if it isnt as popular now.

Dont play CA if you want to experience Quake as it is rather ****.

pffffffffffffffffffff

U c unts nicked my points while i was typing!

Ken duel?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Dont knock CA Scarry, its a great game for ppl like myself whose quake time is severely limited!

I just dont like it because you dont really have to think in it.

Devore please do not reply smile.gif

i only played CA cause theres rarely anyone on the other irish servers. got fed up of it and qw is sitting in a zip file on my HD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

go onto irc.quake.ie #quake.ie, and ask for a duel..

only if you promise to b gental smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ChRoMe99

A few points

1 ID are _not_ catering for us hard core players. This is the game that is being used to get mr playstation head onto the net and playing on-line games. So i think a fair few people are going to be disapointed.

2.I rember the _exact_ same discussions being had when Quake2 was on the horizon. Hmm wounder who will switch,will everyone switch,will we all stay with q1 etc etc. I find this kinda funny becuase with the irish quake "community" you can not plan these things they just evolve.

3. System spec in 2 areas is going to be a huge problem. Someone has allready commented about collage machines so i wont bother retyping that view. The other is the server spec's required. I'm not sure what the quake.ie servers are running on but I doubt they would be capable at running more then 2 servers (if even that). How is a community supposed to grow and be active on 2 servers.

4. The game is ages away from being released. Dont listen to stores or anything. Read John Carmacks .plan file the stuff he is doing is indicating that it is far from complete.

All those negative comments can be countered with the simple idea that Q3 will be excellent. I havnt been reading loads about it but from what i have read I dont think its what a vast majorty of people are looking for.

Eamonn "ChRoMe" Dunne

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

the only dual you should play koopa in is pool wink.gif
    i cant wait for q3.
    i just hope the physics arent as dramatic as q1 as thats the part i find hardest to get used to. when youre hit you go flying, and if you dont really know the level, you have no idea where you are or what youre looking for.

i also dont think the reload speed for rl is THAT fast. i played the other day and i kept pressing fire and nothing came out as it was still reloading. after all the talk about reload speedsi can honestly say i was a bit frustrated. although im used to q2 reload speeds and q1 is definately faster... but not to much. firing is faster thou.

shaft and chaingun are same idea, but different physics as well. i think chaingun is harder to use as you dont have a big white line from your gun to wherever and and you cant 'pin' someone with it. personally its my fav weapon so i'll hear no more derogartory remarks about it.. or else!

i like the idea about armour and stuff going down like the megahealth. will make for very different tactics.

one thing i would like to know is will binds and configs be the same as q2? since q1 was vastly different than q2 for setting up your config, i dont want to have to do another bloody config!

and i'll be starting a clan as soon as the demo appears. hopefully i will be able to entice them other clan memebers of mine to be in it, and no doubt the will, nut i'll be looking for a few more players. imgoing to call it [DZR3] hehehehehehe
    later

mate jana ma na
    hockey dockey boss
    numba 12 wif flied lice an lychee
    white(toomany drugs)wash

Game over man, game over....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Erm, is the shaft in Q3? smile.gif

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Zero: anyone new starting Quake was either drafted into a mickymouse clan or left to rot on the CA servers. There are a lot of so-called muppets who would probably be very effective as a teamplayer if they were playing for any sort of decent team.

[22:02] <Zero> well blade im hardly gonna start a clan and pull q1 muppets in there to conserve the peace

Zero: Mick, you and me sort a clan when q3 gets goin?
    Mickah: yeah kewl, but the problem is that people want to be in a good clan

Amazing contradiction and anyone here whos not blind can see exactly what your trying to do, on one hand your saying "poor muppets don't get a chance to learn" while at the same time you admitted on IRC that you won't be taking muppets in your clan. So basically you expect CW and INC to break up so that theres plenty of good players free for you to scoop up for your own clan now that ND are no more and your all on your little owney-o. And anyway you don't give a Sh*te about newbies, what have you ever done to help a newbie? nothing! while you gave your smug smiley on CTF servers kicking these 200 ping newbies about with your 50 pings CW members helped them all along their way, you only have to ask the likes of Devore and iceman if this is correct and when we moved to DM we did the same thing, ask Tarzan and OCB and anyone else who was willing to listen to us. As a matter of fact I even heard from a certain newbie in UL that you guys were less than co-operative about sharing certain quake information to help them out.
    P.S. While it's bothering me :
    <von> you're talking specifically bout splitting CW up i think z : )

The good thing about Q3 is it will get rid of 'up-ureself' attitudes like this one, at least for a while. von, I was best in this country when you were still in ure Quake nappies. Looking forward to raping ure gay a$$ in Q3.

more on the indigo ctf server than anywhere else, and those of us that were able to win all the time (me, krusty, g.o.w., tomb, cloud, scaryspice)

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black, if Q3 will get rid of 'up-ureself' attitudes like this one will it also get rid of 'up-ureself' attitudes like: 'I was best in this country' and 'those of us that were able to win all the time'?

First of all, you may have been the best dueller at one time but you were sh*te at CTF and your sh*te in TP wars now. All lpb's looked good especially back then on Vanilla quake when everyone else was running into walls with 200 pings on their 28.8 modems, do not compare yourself to g.o.w. or tomb or any other deacent HPB back then because you were nothing like them.
    Just think of it, for at least 6 months nobody sitting up on their Beast's knee looking down their noses at you

I seem recall Beast's knee being very comfortable for you to sit on at QP when you had to face CT, by far the top scorer for ND in both games, then the real ND lost to who was it again? TLP or something? a spurr of the moment makey up clan who'd never even played together before. Amazing the difference when everyones on the same ping as you for a change isn't it?
    The IQCL crashed and burned, there are f*ckall decent clans around, yet loads of players

Yes well some of us modemers like inc, cw and abat have been playing continuously since we started, while certain college boys stopped when they had to go home and face playing on modems like everyone else. Koopa and Bunny were the only 2 who continued playing, it's not our fault the rest of you scarpered, so don't expect us to split up now just to suite you. Your here throwing shapes about about what we should all do and yet we never see you even playing quake, cept for the odd CA game where you come in as an alias and if you manage to come on top with your 30 ping against modemers then you exec 'ZERO.SCR' and give your stupid smug grin. Try playing more and preaching less, yes I know UL lag is bad ATM but there are plenty of times in the day that there is no lag so don't use that as an excuse.

Anyway your complaining that theres not enough clans yet UL is full of new and upcoming players, surely you could form some clans from them, or are they all too crap for Mr. Quake 1997? Seems there were quite a few players ND overlooked, tarzan, osiris etc why didn't you take any of them and train them in? INC trained osiris and Tarzan learnt from CW and now look at them, their better than you are in wars anyday. You can have your wet if you think your going to get "ready made ninjas" from other clans now wink.gif

Take it!
    Von-Swine

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

smile.gif...qp was fun, can we have a repeat if that clan match..

/me liked that game lots smile.gif..

Ro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

when i started playing quake 2 blokes helped me with it don ron on the shareware iol quake server and koopa who kicked me around in a duel one day and showed me how bind weapons to keys n stuff oh and clouds helpful web pages
    well thats all i can remember but know i have the common sence to help a newbie along rather than tell him to **** off and frag the sh1te outta him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

****ing Newbies? Do you not know why they're called 'Newbies'?

1= Cos they're 'New-'
    2= Cos they're '-bies'

If I even SUSPECT someone of being a newbie I beat-up upon them and ridicule them. FFS like. I think they should basically cop-on to life and it's many meanings.

Secondly I think Von-swine is pretty cool... I rarely read all of people's posts but his was deadly like.

Advertisement