Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Zire 71

• 07-09-2003 11:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭

does anyone know anything about this pda? im thinkin of getting it, looks farely alright. digital camera built in and mp3 etc.. its either this or a camera phone and considering this has a lot more and a lot of the things on it i'd use. so if anyone has one or knows anyone who has it if they could share some info it'd be great,
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Didn't you hear -
    PDA'a are dead -
    convergence devices are king, so say IDC

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/68/32409.html

get yerself an SE P800/900

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Theres a world of a difference between a phone with pda functionality and a proper pda.

The only complains agains the Zire 71 seem to be its a little thicker/bulkier than you'd expect and the joystick thingy seems to be a bit fiddly. Other than that it quite good if you like the Palm OS. It doesn't have bluetooth either. Thats only on the more expensive models. Personally I'm prefer the Pocket PC OS so I wouldn't get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

Theres a world of a difference between a phone with pda functionality and a proper pda.

If you absolutly need the bigger screen then, yes they are different.
    But the XDA/XDA2 run your favourite, PPC 2002/3 and the SE runs the Psion OS aka Symbian, one of the longest runnig pda os's.

You were correct up 'till about a year ago - but modern convergence devices are where the PDA scene is headed.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

right...and another thing, ( i wouldnt especially need bluetooth) can i get a wireless card for it or does it have to have it built in?

actually ive just been browsing through some stuff and i saw Sony Clie PEG-NX70V, any know anything about this one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

you can do both. compaq/tosh/sharp have models with wireless built in, but alot of the Compaq Ipaqs (and i presume other makes) have ports for addons - MMC wireless cards

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tribble
    If you absolutly need the bigger screen then, yes they are different.
    But the XDA/XDA2 run your favourite, PPC 2002/3 and the SE runs the Psion OS aka Symbian, one of the longest runnig pda os's.

You were correct up 'till about a year ago - but modern convergence devices are where the PDA scene is headed.

tribble

Ok show me a Phone/PDA that I can buy NOW that gives me the battery life of a 6310i and allows me to write word/excel docs on the move, can handle fully featured databases, send and recieve email and browse the web, read ebooks play back digital photos, movies and mp3's, had a radio take digital photos pf decent quality and I can use on any GSM network in the world, and allows handwriting recognition. Also it has a resonable size.

Phones like the 9210 and the 7650 are waaaay too big. XDA only run on O2 and it has limited expansion. Its also too big IMO. Of all the PDA's I've used the best imput mechanisims are the Pocket PC transcriber and the Psion 5's keyboard. Personally Graffiti is too slow. Having a seperate keyboard is another thing to carry.

Like combination portable radio/music players or DVD/Video/TV combos they have a small market because not everyone wants everything on the one device. Most people reckon they want a decent camera than the iffy quality from a camera phone, or the mp3's capacity is too small, or theres too many compromises in the OS functionality usability - wise when you combine too much stuff on the one device.

Personally the XDA would be very useful for me. Only I'm stuck on the other network. Its also too expensive, (for what you get) and its too big with too short battery life.

Originally posted by Spike
    right...and another thing, ( i wouldnt especially need bluetooth) can i get a wireless card for it or does it have to have it built in?

actually ive just been browsing through some stuff and i saw Sony Clie PEG-NX70V, any know anything about this one?

Its HUGE! Expect "are you happy to see me or is that a Sony Clie PEG-NX70V in your pocket?" comments a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

ah right...i might go for the zire 71 so...but i'll do a bit more research and see what i come up with. ta for the info lads

If you're in Dublin you can see them in a few shops like Dixons, Mr Calculator and of course some of the Sony shops etc. I wouldn't buy them there but you can pick them and get a feel for the size of the unit and also quality of the different screens.

Advertisement