Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBP Article: "'Dismal' Take-up puts DSL in crisis"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

FRIARCO never took off in the Netherlands as BB was there first - making FRIARCO obsolete [/B]

That is interesting. I always thought that FRIACO and BB of most flavours would co exist for many years. Surely there are many people out there who would want to try out the internet without the higher cost? Perhaps sign up for the €10 per month service to give 30 hours a whirl rather than commit to an install fee and contract.
    Also, I guess the Netherlands is different to Ireland geographically and in deployment, it would take a huge effort to have BB coverage across the whole of Ireland. Couple that with line compatibility and distance issues and I would think there will be a fairly strong interest in FRIACO for some time to come here, regardless of the price of DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by iwb
    ...rather than commit to an install fee and contract...

I'm guessing what makes a big difference here is that in most European countries, there are no install or modem fees. And there are no long term contracts either.

For example I was looking at a company in the Netherlands a few days ago. The install + modem were priced at 0 euros, monthly it was 30 euros, and there was no obligation to stay with the service like you have with most services here (with Eircom for example 12 months). I think all that adds up and makes a huge difference.

Advertisement