Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting Ti4200 into old mobo.

• 07-09-2003 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Ive an old motherboard. Bought the pc itself in `00.

How do i find out what AGP speed it is. Its either 1 or 2.

I want to put a Ti4200 that i have into it. Currently theres a Tnt2 M64 32MB card there. My new Ti is a bigger looking card and all, so will it fit and i know i wont get full performance out of it, but will Agp 1/2 and could i harm it in any way.

The rest of the sys is 1.0 Athlon, 384SdRam, XP Pro.

Anf if i do install it, will i have to reinstall my XP Pro which i dont really want to do, as i just done that a few wks ago whe ngot new HD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Its not so much the speed but the voltage you need to worry about. The GF4 is a 1.5v card.

AGP v1.0 is 3.3v and AGP v2.0 usually (but not always) supports 3.3v and 1.5v. New boards support only the newer 1.5v cards. You can damage both the motherboard and the card by getting it wrong. You'll have to find a model number of the motherboard and do some detective work on the web to get the specs.

Generally boards have slightly different slots to stop you doing this but not all of them do. So its not sure thing which is the problem. There some more info here.

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,78044,pg,2,00.asp
    http://www.plasma-online.de/textual/almanach/acronym/agp.html

A 1ghz Athlon board is likely to have a AGP v2.0 slot so you'd want to check carefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,654 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by rander00
    I want to put a Ti4200 that i have into it. Currently theres a Tnt2 M64 32MB card there. My new Ti is a bigger looking card and all, so will it fit and i know i wont get full performance out of it, but will Agp 1/2 and could i harm it in any way.

I think the TNT is AGP 2 at least so you should have no problems fitting in the AGP 4 TI4200. AGP 1 is ancient and most unlikely to be in a PC that was brand new in 2000. Not 100% sure though m8 :)

Yes but AGP 2.0 can be 1.5 or 3.3v thats the problem. So it could work in the 3.3v slot, but the GF4 might not. That said I had an old board with a 1Ghz Athlon in it and my GF4ti4200 worked fine in it. I reckon it would be fine too. But its only a hunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

you will be fine i have the same tnt and agp and put a 9800pro it ran ****e but it ran

Generally a TNT2 will work in either a AGP 3.3v or a 1.5v board. Thats no proof of anything. The fact that a TNT2 card works in your motherboard does not mean that a GF4 will work in his motherboard. Its the motherboard that the important bit. The TNT cards were made at the time when they had to work in both kinda motherboards so the made them so they'd work on 1.5v or 3.3v.

Another example if the Matrox G400/450 cards some of them work in 1.5v boards and some of them don't. If you out the wrong one in your motherboard you damage both components. The only way to know with the matrox cards is to check the serial number on the card. Some of them are 1.5v and some of them 3.3v.

In this case if you can't find out if the Motherboard supports 1.5v cards and I reckon it most likely that it will, then I'd be inclined just to try it. But there is a risk. Again with AGP v2.0 the motherboard may support 1.5v or 3.3v and some of them support both. But not all of them.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You can damage both the motherboard and the card by getting it wrong.

True but surely only when you stick a newer (1.5v) card into an older (3.3v) mobo? AFAIK all new mobo's were AGP2 1.5v from about '98 or '99. Fully agree with you though that to be absolutely sure you'd better get the details of your mobo from the web :)

BTW one of my previous mobo's had an interesting gimmick: when you'd connect the powercord to the PSU a led beside the AGP card would turn red if it was a 3.3v card and green if it was a 1.5v card so you'd know not to boot up with the old card that the mobo obviously couldn't handle

Originally posted by unkel
    True but surely only when you stick a newer (1.5v) card into an older (3.3v) mobo? ....

rander00 - GF4 (1.5V) >>> old motherboard....(1.5v or 3.3v).....?

Odds are it it would be ok though. I reckon. What board had the handy LEDs?

It's actually my current mobo: Asus A7V8X. Here's excerpt from manual:

"AGP warning LED. Serving as a smart burn-out protection for the motherboard, this red LED lights up if you plug in any 3.3v AGP card into the AGP slot. When this LED is lit, there is no way you can turn on the system power even if you press the power button"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/florida.htm

There links to my exact motherboard pic and manual.

http://support.packardbell.com/fr/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=spec_florida

It doesnt say amongst the specs whether the Agp is a 1.5 or 3.3. It says the Dims are 3.3, but does that mean the Agp is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The 4200ti will work fine in an old motherboard. I've attached mine to a p2 266 and it worked fine. The voltages should be fine because AFAIK it's not a 3.3v card, unlike the ATi radeon 9xxx's, but you will need a good powersupply to deliver all it's juice.

• Advertisement

Hay Civilian,

it wont work for me.

Did you see my other thread there in technology section too?

My Ti4200 wont work in my old sys or my new system. I think the card itsef is faulty.

But i was thinking if my old mobo doesnt support 1.5v then installing the Ti4200 may have been damaged by that. So i need to find out if my old board does support 1.5v so i can rule out that possibility in order to get a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I've got an AOpen AX6BC (440BX chipset), AIDA32 and Sandra2004 report that it's AGPset supports AGPv1.0 , 1x/2x and Volatage of 3.3V.
    It's running a Slot1 P3 800Mhz, and was bought at the end of August 2000.
    I'm currently about to buy a GF4 Ti4200-8x (essentially a Ti4800SE afaik).
    Now, from the Plasma Online AGP-finger-connector diagram for 1.5V + 3.3V and a pic of the card from the manufacturer's website, that the card will accept both 1.5V and 3.3V, even though it will run at 8x, which hints that either it's not fully AGP3.0 spec (ie 0.8V) or that it can handle any of the 3 voltages.
    The only thing that worries me is that AGP3.0 has removed support for 1x and 2x AGP, which is the max my board supports.

Even if the card won't run in my board, I can still use it in another machine I'll be building, I just don't want to fry it or my machine, because i don't want to waste money or be without a PC at a critcal time like this (project deadlines looming).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by rander00
    There links to my exact motherboard pic and manual.

http://support.packardbell.com/fr/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=spec_florida

It doesnt say amongst the specs whether the Agp is a 1.5 or 3.3. It says the Dims are 3.3, but does that mean the Agp is?
    Quote from that link:

PCI AGP CPU Mode
    33 MHz 66 MHz 100 MHz DDR 3x synchronous
    AGP 2.0 compliant

It states clearly that the board is AGP 2.0 compliant.

It states clearly that the board is AGP 2.0 compliant.

Ok you muiffty. I know its Agp 2.0 compliant. But not all Agp 2`s cater for 3.3 and 1.5v cards. Some only support 3.3v cards only.

I was trying to establish whether it was 3.3 only or both, but thanks for your valuable input.

So is my board 3.3v only or will it accept newer 1.5v cards aswell?

Advertisement