Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the institute of education is a hole

Options
  • 07-09-2003 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

the institute of education is a hole. Unless your willing to work yo uwill go no where there. What made you pick that dive of a place. Four and a half grand promises you nothing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bono_85

Hey the institute is no hole, I loved it there last year, I'm goin into 6th this year and the teachers and overall attitude of everyone there is excellent,I'm lookin forward to this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'm sorry but it is, sorry.

Well thats your opinion but fair enough, i found most ppl there were there cos they wanted to be and they enjoyed it

Its all exam exam exam, and no atmoshpere, everyone on edge. All about the top and the eleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

Originally posted by Boston
    All about the top and the eleet.

Yeah, get used to it.

• Advertisement

How about you get used to it mate. To me school is not about getting the best student, the best result, its about getting the weakest student the best result he or she can get. To many weaker students in the IOE are just passed over.Every year we would have at least 3 or 4 repeat students from the IOE in our school, people who failed because teachers never took the time to actually teach the course just hand out notes and collect up home work. Why do you think it takes them only a year to go through the course. Just don't like seeing students who struggled through a leaving cert, looking at the IOE for hope. I got an A1 in physics from the institue, other weaker students failed the course. If you got 505 points and the course you want is 555 points then by all means repeat in the IOE, they will show you how to get the A1, feic all use if your struggling to pass the subject. I look at the IOE publish results example 169 student went to XY and z colleges, and that impresses people, any school with over fifthy students going to trinity is impressive, but i say to mayself, in any given year theres at least a thousand students from the IOE sitting the leaving cert (repeats included) what happened to the rest of them? There where 110 people sitting the leaving in my school, 5 failed, thats less then 5% and they where people who never turned up, compare that to 10% of students failed nation wide.

But if you've never been there how do you know what its like??,The teachers are the best and go through the course as slow as possible in 5th year,and if 3 or 4 ppl are repeating in your school out of 1,000 then it seems like they didnt put enough effort in, if they did they wouldnt of failed, its not all up to the teachers,the student is the one who has to do the learning and the exam

Originally posted by Bono_85
    But if you've never been there how do you know what its like??,The teachers are the best and go through the course as slow as possible in 5th year,and if 3 or 4 ppl are repeating in your school out of 1,000 then it seems like they didnt put enough effort in, if they did they wouldnt of failed, its not all up to the teachers,the student is the one who has to do the learning and the exam

actually i have been there, spent far to feicing long there. For the top 10% teacher doesn't really come into it. Any decent teacher should be able to get that students his or her result. But for the lower end, you better believe the teacher plays a big part. Several lads in my year would have failed the leaving cert where it not for teachers taaking that tiem for individual attention and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Eh, yeah. Boston go see a counselour or something. You've obviously got issues with the insitute of education.

People who go there know what to expect. No-one goes there for hands-on support or superb student-teacher relationships. They go there to work.

Now if you can't respond to CUlt's original request, then don't respond at all. Thanks.

Originally posted by seamus
    Eh, yeah. Boston go see a counselour or something. You've obviously got issues with the insitute of education.

People who go there know what to expect. No-one goes there for hands-on support or superb student-teacher relationships. They go there to work.

Now if you can't respond to CUlt's original request, then don't respond at all. Thanks.

Sorry but i'm voicing an opinion about cults choice of school, that not allowed? A but your right IOE is brilliant sure everyone that goes their does great and its all very good. I've no issue with the place, just telling it likek i see it. Abite of like reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Now. That's better.

You can vent your spleen all you want, but you know damn well when you should be taking it to a new thread.

Originally posted by PHB
    you get a lot of wasters in the institute who are only going there because they got expelled from other schools.

kinda supports my whole, the institute is a hole arguement, doesn't it.

Its what you make of it...If you want to work and learn the stuff off then you will get a decent leaving cert. But for someone like me who just went through the motions, never studied etc - I would have failed in the IOE...badly. I did go there for grinds every saturday in third year, because I reckoned it would magically make me pass honours maths - E

I tried doing a quick revision course there also this year in honours irish - dropped down...The essays they gave me in history were good though, even though I only learned 5 of em the night before the test.

Just don't expect your grades to rise magically because you're attending a "good school".

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

kinda supports my whole, the institute is a hole arguement, doesn't it.

No not in the slighest.
    You seem to think that people who need special attention won't get it in the Institute, and thats not true. I know people who have asked their teachers for help and gotten it. Its just what they make out of it, they arent going to shove it down you're throats. They treat you like an adult and in turn you should act like one, if you dont then you should go to a different school.

bull its all about da money, as your own posted showed clearly. They will take anybody with the 4.5 grand. Even no hopers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

its about getting the weakest student the best result he or she can get. To many weaker students in the IOE are just passed over.Every year we would have at least 3 or 4 repeat students from the IOE in our school, people who failed because teachers never took the time to actually teach the course just hand out notes and collect up home work.
    They will take anybody with the 4.5 grand. Even no hopers.

Consistency in a world gone Boston

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

He's just throwing a tantrum as he watchs his IOE peers surge ahead in education - leaving him with nothing more than a mouthful of dust and a poor leaving cert.

I'll have fries with that.

tribble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

jebus 4 and a half grand!!!

the dept of education should make people who go to grinds schools pay fees instead of upping the college fees imo..

So are you angry that its expensive or that it doesnt look after weaker students, which i've shown it does.

They will take in anyone, it is about the money, but that doesnt change the fact that the teachers actually care how their students do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

....Well on the bright side, it is mixed....

/me mutters angrily

I'm just angry all the time...

• Advertisement

No need to worry, college is mixed!
    Infact trinity have a 60% girls to 40% guys!

Rub it in my UCD face why dont you!

I would assume there would a majority of girls in most places, what with them sleeping with the cao and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

(insert flame here, well don't mind if i do)

ah at the end of the day it is only the stupid people that need to go to IOE in the first place cause they can't get the marks they need in a 'normal' school.

In all seriousness the institute can't have all the best teachers, as my science teacher was clearly the best on the planet

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Is there still a teacher there called John Brown (short guy, kinda mad, brilliant at Maths...) ?

DeV.

Yeah, hes still teaching away.
    Best teacher ever ***.
    LETS GO GO GO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by ella minnow pea
    jebus 4 and a half grand!!!

the dept of education should make people who go to grinds schools pay fees instead of upping the college fees imo..

gerards costs somewhere around 8k/year and michaels, rock, etc all cost around 4k. Its not too much considering its one of few mixed schools in dublin with a high standard of teaching :P

boston unless you went there as a day student i dont really think youre in a place to throw assumptions around the place. Half the people who teach grinds at weekends there dont teach during the week, not to mention the different caliber of attendees. Ive been there for a year and no complaints yet, well worth the money.

Think michaels and rock are around the 3 grand mark, i think.
    Andrew's is very expensive aswell although it is mixed.

The institutue is a very good school for those who got 400+ I would say, it is designed to help you get the most of your previous years work. Although it is a complete waste of time if you're not going to study or whatever. Those who slag the institute are usually those who didn't work.
    at the end of the day it is only the stupid people that need to go to IOE in the first place cause they can't get the marks they need in a 'normal' school.

OMG FLAME TROLLL MUPPET GAG BAN FLAME!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭ella minnow pea

see me being a culchie didnt know that

does this prove the auld Dubs Are More Intellectually Challenged Than the Rest Of Us theory?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Bruce is costing me 5,100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

it is scandalous what the institute charge but no more scandalous than what many private schools charge - they may charge a fair bit less but you can get nothing for your money, at least the institute are great at what they do.

i think people's experiences there depend on whether they want to go and whether they work. also your perspective is different if you are just there for grinds, 6th year or both 5th and 6th year.

i was lucky enough to go there for the 2 years (major bank loan!) and i can honestly say that there was nothing impersonal about it - you got a lot more individual attention right down to the friendly faces in reception. and from what i could see, if you were struggling, the teachers were only too happy to try and help you.

the place ain't perfect but it's far from a hole!

Advertisement