Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet connection woes.

• 07-09-2003 9:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭

My ISDN connection recently has got into the habit of constantly sending data, which messes up my connection big time.
    I wonder if it's some type of virus/spyware type thing.

I've used Spybot and ad-aware and Norton, and got rid of all the crap, but the problem still remains.

Also, not sure if it's related though, my computer slows down after about 30 mins to a point where even the mouse becomes unusable.

Anyone have any idea what could be up.

It's a Dell Dimension 8100 1.4Ghz 128mb ram.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Couple of basic things to try first of all. Is your Nortons anti-virus software up to date? If not, open up Nortons and run live update.

Firewall: Do you have one? Most firewalls have application protection - which will show when an application is trying to access the network/internet - identifying the offending app. If you dont have one, get one. There are a couple of free ones - i think theres a free version of zone alarm and sygate ?

When your machine slows down, press control/alt/delete & go to task manager to identify what applications/processes are running at the time - see which process is using a lot of resources ie. memory/cpu useage.

The aboves a good starting point, see how you get on with that and post back ref. how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like the welchia worm.

Get a removal tool here: http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm.removal.tool.html

It is possible that it may be something else though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Ok, I found out the files causing the problems.

Scrsvr.exe + various components relating to it and Alevir.exe.

The files were in use and couldn't be deleted, and because I use ME, I couldn't end the process (ME only has a basic task manager)

These files were picked up by spybot, and it said they were fixed, but the had placed a few things into various .ini files.

I did a search through various files, and deleted anything to do with the files, rebooted, and then I was allowed to delete the files.

Now everything is back to normal.

I still have some problems getting some programs to run, like mIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

scrsvr.exe/alevir.exe = The opaworm.
    Details here

&

here

Advertisement