Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewall picked this up...

Options
  • 07-09-2003 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Sygate personal firewall picked this up for me....
    hmmmmm1.JPG

Any thoughts? A trace back shows up arpanet...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Search results for: 66.220.17.151

Hurricane Electric HURRICANE-3 (NET-66-220-0-0-1)
    66.220.0.0 - 66.220.31.255
    C2 Media Ltd HURRICANE-CE1076-331 (NET-66-220-17-0-1)
    66.220.17.0 - 66.220.17.255

Strange that it resolves like that though, somones been fiddling with their dns servers or set it up wrong in the first place.

Having a look for 'c2 media ltd' on google returns, amongst others, this little nugget.

Im sure a little more digging will reveal what theyre up to in what they were at with you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'd say you have a browser hijacker DMC, which is trying to interact with the task scheduler to make sure it gets reloaded if you change the browser settings. Grep the web for lop.com for more info and run AdAware to see if I'm right or talking blarney.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

slightly OT i know, but werent adaware bought out by gator a while ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html
    install that, it blocks all that activeX crap by setting the kill bit for known spyware CLSIDs,
    its not a TSR so it doesnt hog resources either.
    at least your firewall caught it,
    also consider using spybot in conjunction with adaware, it has some advanced tools for preventing homepage hijackers and ad blocking
    http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?lang=en&page=download

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

First thing that I did was run ad-aware, but it picked up nowt, no more than the usual crap cookies.

The only thing that I have installed recently that could have a bearing on it, is a plug-in for Winamp from audio-tracker.com that lets you display the title of the track you are playing in Winamp, as below in my sig.

I think I'll reset Sygate so that all the applications that need access to the net can be seen again, so I know whats leaving my PC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by Moriarty
    slightly OT i know, but werent adaware bought out by gator a while ago?

Can't find any info on Gator buying Lava Soft so don't look like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Firstly, thanks for all the tips. :)

I installed Spybot, and it found a rake of ****e there, removed more than Ad-aware. I also reset Sygate, which then turned into the problem of saying yes to "Internet Explorer is trying to connect to blah on port 80" but I now know what programs are requesting where they want access the net.

I did turn off the audio-tracker stuff, so later I'll turn it back on to see if it is it thats causing that message of woe.

Thanks again.

Advertisement