Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Dog To Get?

• 08-09-2003 2:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭

Hey
    Well what do you think.
    I live in a town house, have a large garden and my family is looking for a small dog. It must be good with kids. We were thinking of the following:
    King Charles Spaniel
    Westhighland Terrier

Oh yes, importantly there is nearly always someone at the house to take care of it..
    Any information is appreciated
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I've had spaniels almost all my life.

They're fantastic dogs. They are very smart, friendly, and cuddly, should you want to hug them (my last springer spaniel made a habit of sleeping on the end of my bed for most of his life. Aww, etc :) )

I never had a king charles, but I hear they're pretty much the same as cockers and springers, maybe a bit smaller.On the whole, I'd say that spaniels are a bit friendlier.

That said, I've known some really nice terriers too.

I'd go for the spaniel, mostly because I prefer the look of them, all floppy eared and furry.The personality of the dog generally develops closely to the family (which may explain why every dog I've ever had shows varying degrees of worrying insanity...)

Terriers will eat less and need less excercise. Spaniels can do with a good run about every now and then. And our dogs, at least, took up a lot of the couch. A terrier is much easier to fit on your lap:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

I've had terriers for years , terriers tend to be high energy dogs and need to know that YOU are in control. I LOVE terriers but also know that if you let them they will walk all over you. They are great for home "protection" as they become very territorial and get very vocal when a stranger intrudes or attempt to intrude into their home. They are very protective of their family. They also have a tendency to not know how small a dog they can be. Most terriers I know won't back down from a fight and will take on a doberman just as fast as they would a dog their own size. But saying all that .... if you think you can live with the attitude .... get a terrier . ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I kick terriers.*

Ankle biting, car chasing dim wittted catdogs.

tribble

*when they snap at my ankles in the bike,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

thanks for that info ppl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 roadhog

Would you consider a mongeral? They tend to live longer than pure breeds and you could pick one up at the pound foc!

• Advertisement
Advertisement