Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q3 - OMG

Options
  • 11-05-1999 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

Lo,

As I sit here, gibbering and quivering from the excessive mental stimulus recieved from my fist Q3 game, I cannot but feel a certain sense of optimism for Quake as a whole. This game is worthy of ANY hype it has been given. I don't care if it has only two maps, or that I keep getting railed by Q2ers, I dont care about the wierd lighting that is being misprocessed. I dont care that I get 15-25 FPS, and can't see enemies because they're all the same colour as the background. What I care about is that this is a game that Q1 and Q2 players can play together. It has old, familiar elements, aswell as new and exciting things.

Things I love:
    1. Displaying the enemy name on crosshair.
    2. Fast respawns.
    3. The cool text bubbles when some1 speaks.
    4. Quad. (See it, it needs no explanation.)
    5. No Daaa, or Daaa wannabes (yet).
    6. Fairly easy to get telefrags. (Think I'm the first to do that, but I may be wrong.)
    7. No Grenades = No spam.
    8. Vocal updates on leader.

It was an absolute joy to play. I'm gonna be on ALL night with this.

But there is a purpose to this message. It's brand new to all of us, so lets pool what each of us learn from playing. We needd tips on aim, FPS improvement, ping improvement, Weapons damage, physics tricks, (maybe even an RJ script.) smile.gif

I'll even start, "cg_drawfps 1", shows ure FPS (like DUH.)

Any ideas on how to make enemies easier to see?. Is there away to sort out that crap lighting? And tips at all? Lets make a start on this, contribute all you can. It's been a long time since we've had something new, so lets make the most of it.....

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Like i agree
    Tis a game that both q1 players and q2 players are equal in when they play.
    had my first game there and as the pic sugests it wont take long to swap over.
    Right who said something about new q3 Clans?

http://leo.ucg.ie/quake/pictures/quake3_scores.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Here's a list of known console commands, from sCary's shugashack

team s = spectator mode!

cg_drawfps = show your framerate

r_railcorewidth , r_railsegmentlength ,

cg_railtrailtime = all visible railgun
    graphic adjusments.

cg_gibs = turn on or off gibs

cg_footsteps = turn off your own footsteps, people still hear you though.

cg_bobroll , cg_bobup = client view (not player) bouncing and rolling adjustments

cg_gun = turn the weapon model on or off
    crosshairhealth = crosshair changes color to
    reflect your health (on or off)

r_dynamiclighting = dynamic lights. turn them off for a nice framerate improvement

Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Lets bate those Quake2ers:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Yeah i agree i can't wait till i get it d/led should be fun playing with all yuo q1'ers as well
    Ohh hold on were all q3ers now what?

:0
    Cyas later q1 lads its Railing time smile.gif

[This message has been edited by JaneyMackers (edited 11-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭juNkie

I got it today in like 35 minutes, twas a grand site. I'll be on from 5.30 till late tonight.

Btw lads, I think the old Strafe jumpin works, actually, yes it does, it does work. But don show the Q1ers.

O yeah, there's no fookin chain gun, so wtf is the Q3 alternative?? the lightnin yoke??

I will make the Q1ers love me...

juNkie

• Advertisement

Oi Junkie ya putz...
    Quake 1 people were strafejumping before Quake 2 even came out. So there tongue.gif

Dan

PAH! U Q1 leds dunno what real strafe jumpin is, it only came out in Q2!

When I say Srafe junmp I don't jus mean pressin the strafe key and jump at the same time, there's an art form to it ;]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Daa

I'll be there shortly when I get me TNT2 Ultra shipped over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

Here's another one, dunno bout the rest of u but I think the crosshair is a little on the skanky size, "crosshairsize 6" is like a dot but makes it easier to see yr nme, if u could change the colour it would be sweet.

BTw the default is crosshairsize 24.

bstep@tinet.ie
    q2n.quake.ie

Hahaha Junkie if only you knew... Q2 learned all of these things from Q1 players who knew it all smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

and by all accounts regi, that wasn't you smile.gif

Oh yeah totally smile.gif
    I'm so old skool at q1 now, it hurts smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Just cut the CD... ...now for some gore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

haha q2ers strafe jumping??
    q1er's strafe jump permantently..wall run, and strafe leftright..you dont need any fancy q2 tricks. Just aim.

OK sry lads I don't think yis know what I mean when i say strafe jump, in Q1, when u strafe jump do u accelerate to nearly 3 times your normal speed???? no, I don think so lovers. try again wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Riker

Have a question,

What kind of res/colour depth and fps can I expect with a V3 3000, p2-333 and 64mb RAM ?

Thanks,
    Riker

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Listen to yourselves!!
    Pack of Q3 muppets smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

roflmbo

junkie and regi are officially now classed as worlds first q3 muppets

take it b!tches

who do ya love?
    whitewashla

lol nice one Eamo!

who do u luv..

juNk (the jump pads r for easy wheelchair access) laa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

naw strafe jumping in q1 moves you like 10% further and faster...small percentages are very important to us now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Jaden

Lo lads,
    I've played a good bit last night, both on the servers, and gimping around at home, and I've come up with some stuff thats useful.

1. Already alot of ppl with no tha renaming ure demoq3 folder to baseq3 will allow you to exec configs and stuff. So, theres a starter for 10. smile.gif

2. Telporters. for those who don't know, or opaque when u look at them from the teleporting side, but completely transparant from the other. Nice for railing saps, erm, I mean other players, as they wander in.

3. The shadow that appears under a player, (a black circle), actually becomes visible at time, on the surface of the wall they are behind. Try it. Stand at the Rocket launcher, near where the armour shards are, and face down the steps, so that u are looking at the 2 yellow health bubbles. Now, get some one to move up the steps to ure right.(The ones passing the armour shards.) You will see a black line on the wall, giving away their position. I've gotten a couple of frags tracking ppl with a railgun like this. smile.gif. Theere are other locations on the map where this happens too. It would be nice if we could get a couple of people on a server to explore such things. I've seen a few other quirks, but I have to look into them futher to see if they can be exploited. Any volunteers? I was planing on doing it tonight.

Hail To The King, Baby.

Jaden.

PS, Who the f**k can I make thaqt crosshair a bit more visable?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I dunno - just fom arsin' around at home (Billy no mates here), it seems nice. Thing is - the lighting is really screwed on my machine. I dunno - it's throwing like solid lines instead of light around the place and it's rather an annoyance - especially when I get to the (what I think is) Lava bit with the rail gun and jump pad to quad on the first level. I'm runnin' a PIII 450, 128 RAM and a 16 Meg TNT. I've feiced around with all the video settings to no avail (trust me, it looks really weird on the lowest settings).

If memory serves from IRC last night, Von was having hastle with his TNT aswell. Did ya get it sorted lad?

HELP!i! I wanna play too!!!

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 12-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think its a bit dull I was expecting a bit more considering the past 2 games.......
    Still its not finished yet, plenty of time to improve it, & theres always Unreal Tournament to look forward to smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Jaden theres stuff about gettin a new crosshair up here - www.planetquake.com/ra2io

and lovely it looks too smile.gif

Advertisement