Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC hardware qualifications

• 08-09-2003 3:17am

Hi everyone. I'm looking for courses which I would be able to undertake to obtain a certification as a PC technician or something similar. I've been doing part-time "contract work" for a local man since May 2001 and want to expand my career into full-time work. I already have a huge knowledge of this sort of thing but I want to get it on paper to prove it. I have no problem travelling to do a course, but for reasons I won't get in to right now I wouldn't be too keen on doing a full-time 18-month course in a third-level college.
    I want to try for the CompTIA A+ certification but so far haven't found many colleges offering it. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction. The most expensive was in Templeogue in Dublin for € 1,300, the cheapest being an online course from FÁS for about € 280.
    Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could inform me of where and how I can do this, plus how much it'll cost me. Also, if anyone could suggest alternative certifications I'd be happy to hear them. Thanks.

Oh, and apologies if I put this post in the wrong part of the board.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

I did the A plus cert about a year and a half ago. My suggestion would be that you do this yourself in your own time and then go and take the tests at a testing centre.

Unless the online FAS course has changed from what it was a year ago, its better than nothing but its not great.

As regards private colleges/training centres, IMO the fees they charge are extortionate...its fine if you work for a corporate company whos going to pickup the tab but to shell out a couple of grand to do the A plus is just not worth it.

You say that you already have a comprehensive hardware knowledge so this should be very easy for you. All you need is :

- A good internet connection
    - A plus training manuals ( i should be able to assist with this)
    - Test engine software ie. mock tests (again, i can help you out here too).

The A plus is a great intro if your starting on a certification path - i would recommend it to anyone as a starting point - and it will always be useful regardless of what area of IT you are specifically interested/involved in. I am not aware of any other hardware related certification out there that carrys the same level of recognition.

Hope this helps and if you need my assistance with any of the above, pm me with your email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

I started of with my a+certification did it last year through ICS cost me around 750 pounds,
    You can do it through fas have a look at these courses

http://www.fas-netcollege.com/

Advertisement