Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Carvan instead of car???

Options
  • 08-09-2003 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Have been searching through old threads on 'motors' and have a few questions you people might be able to help me out with.

I've been driving my old Nissan Pulsar '92 (no laughing at the back! :D ) for a few years now and while it's given me no trouble circumstances have changed and I'm now considering changing it.

I'm 28 still on the provisonal (stupidly never got off my arse to do the test but am in the queue) and am now facing a 150 mile round-trip to work about 3 or 4 times a week mostly on the motorway.

Having been asking around people seem to reckon a diesel would be a good idea given the mileage I'll be doing and trawling old posts seems to suggest that a carvan (golf? 306? Punto?) would be much cheaper to insure too.

Also something confusing about being able to import from the uk with minimal vrt since it's a commercial vehicle??? (if someone could clear this up i'd appreciate it since it sounds like a good idea if true)

Gratefull for any advice/info! :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Jeez i thought ya said Caravan... roflmao.. :D

Insurance companies have wised up to this.. a few years back, all kids were driving small carvans, such as 205's, golfs etc.. and the insurance companies were none the wiser... but thats now gone..

As for importing due to cheaper vrt, dont think thats true as it will be for private use.. and anyway, you can pick one up here cheaper than a car without too much hassle..

If you have a company then by all means buy one, they have the comfort of a car (slight bit noiser) and the fuel economy of diesel and then can claim the VRT and expenses back, but beware of benefit in kind..

If youre doing that sort of mileage, a diesel car is definitely worth it, you will get anything up to 250 miles more per full tank that a petrol and although initially more expensive to buy and tax, the savings will show over the long term...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

The VRT is 13.3% of Irish market value for a small van so it is lower than for a passenger car.

Used cars are so cheap these days that unless you're using it for a business and you can claim back the VAT on purchase and on diesel, I doubt it's worth getting a van. Ultimately being limited to two seats is a pain in the arse.

If you're worried about being hammered by the insurance companies, there are a few smaller cc diesel engines on the market these days. I think VAG does a 1.4 litre TDi that's available in a few of their cars, the Polo probably. They're quite expensive, though, so may not make sense to buy over a similar powered petrol car. If you're buying used and you want value, pick a French diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Hmmm yea it's for private use so I wasn't aware of the limitations with that. Shame they're onto the insurance thing... Thks for the vrt info Da Man.

Ah well...

Plan B was a Tdi Octavia since a mate has one and is always singing its' praises but they seem a bit out of my budget even second hand.

I was thinking about trying to pick one up at a car auction (bringing the same mate along as he knows what to look for) but there again it will likely be a high mileage model that I'm going to be putting a helluva lot more mileage on myself!

I know they're basically VWs in Skodas clothing these days and have read the reviews online but has anyone else experience/info on these or other cheapish turbodiesels?

Any thoughts on what I should expect to pay?? (say budget of around 6-8k)

Cheers :D

(P.s. ToxicPaddy.. Jasus a carAvan!! :eek: U might be onto something there.. Forget the 150 mile roundtrip I could just live in the carpark at work.. 50 yard roundtrip!! ;):D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I agree about the van option - its no longer worth the trouble/compromise. As for your 6-8k motor I'd go for
    an Octavia. They've been on the market since 98 (?) so will now be in price range that said there are'nt that many about....

http://www.buyandsell.ie/scripts/lootsite.dll?mfcisapicommand=search&Query=skoda+octavia+1.9+TDi&Location=0-15
    Im 28 still on the provisonal (stupidly never got off my arse to do the test but am in the queue) and am now facing a 150 mile round-trip to work about 3 or 4 times a week mostly on the motorway.

Have you enquired about the insurance you're likely to pay?
    No licenece + 1.9 engine = Ouch!

Example from www.ripoffireland.org
    Male 29 Honda civic Louth Provisional 3 Years €2700

Mike.

Mike65.. Yea many people seem to have realised the old Skoda jokes just don't apply to the new Octavias and Fabia (VWs in Skodas clothing as I said) and this is keeping second hand value high and availability low.

They're popular as taxis too which is the only thing that worries me esp about buying a high mileage model.

Insurance is gonna be about €1500 but I'll have to bite the bullet sooner or later :mad: (helps that it's diesel though and have a quote for bout that amount thru 123.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bluehair

just checked on cbg.ie for you - there's a blue '98 tdi with 100k miles and 2 years NCT for €6250

Seems good value to me. Better still look at the taxi's as mentioned. A few years ago mainly japanese family cars, now more and more Octavia's almost always tdi

Pursuaded my mother in law to buy new Octavia 1.4 petrol 2 months ago and nobody can believe the excellent value for money the car represents once they have been inside it. Boot is as big as I have seen on any car. It might even fit a small caravan :cool:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

another possible car is the good oul Toyota Carina E diesel...

Fab car and they will go forever, because the Carina has now been replaced by the Avensis and you can get standard diesels instead of turbo diesels which will be easier on the pocket from an insurance point of view..

If ya cant get an irish one, a jap inport version is always an option..

Or you can also go for its little brother, the corolla...

Have a look here for sample prices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

wouldnt get a van unless u really need one man. I changed my civic for a vw caddy thinking the insurance would drop by a good bit but i only got €500 off. Unless you can claim vat it makes no sense whatsoever. Plus I hate not being able to go off with the mates in the car somewhere. Two seats is a pain.

Thanks for all the info folks and cheers to unkel for that cbg.ie octavia link :) must follow that up...

Advertisement