Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few Quibbles

• 08-09-2003 9:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I've a few minor annoyances that I've been meaning to post about, but kept putting off. So here they are!

1. CD/RW - Freezing mid-burn

Okay, this is probably the most troublesome. Half-way through burning a cdr/rw the drive will just 'give up' which usually ends up locking the writing software, and leaves me with yet another coaster :/

The 'Writing' LED just stops, and the 'Disc Active' LED just keeps blinking on/off slowly, and the drive won't eject the cd until after I restart. Then there's another thing..after a restart cause of one of these crashes, it always reaches windows login, and restarts once again without me doing anything if I don't plugout the cd-drive. I know this happens randomly if I leave it plugged, but it consistently happens after these crashes. No matter what software I use it's the same

The drive is an external USB 4/4/6x Freecom Class-Series. Really Old. The only other thing I can say is that it use not always be like this...and that it only occurs on my own PC.

2. Re-Installing OS

Another annoyance. Whenever I'm installing an OS of the Windows 2000/XP/2003 flavour, it will always 'give-up' once it gets to the "installing network" phase if I leave my NIC card inside the machine during the install. I have to physically remove the card everytime I need to re-install XP, and it doesn't matter which brand of NIC I use, it's always the same.

3. GFX Ram not being used.

I recently purchased a GeforceFX 5600 which tells me it has 256mb of ram, yet windows and any benchmarking software I used tells me it only has 128mb. The card is 8x AGP compatible and my motherboard only supports up to 4x. Would that be the cause, or have I been conned?

And one last question: In hard drives, are bad sectors physical manifestations on the drive itself, or are they only corrupted data that can be fixed?

Details:
    Motherboard: Abit KR7a-Raid
    CPU: Athlon XP 1700+
    CD-RW: Freecom Classic-Series External USB
    GFX: MSI GeforceFX 5600 256mb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

*bump*

sorry. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Kairo
    1. CD/RW - Freezing mid-burn
    I'd say dodgy drivers (usb or cd writer) or a dodgy cdrw drive, will it work in someone elses computer?, is it USB1, USB1.1 or USB2.0? if you have usb 1 or 1.1 ports on your pc and the writer does not have buffer-underrun protection it may create the problems you are seeing

2. Re-Installing OS
    Try updating your motherboard bios ... or it may be a known problem with that motherboard, check the manufacturers website or forum if available

3. GFX Ram not being used.
    Dunno about this, did you try sisoft sandra?, did you look in the adapter details in display properties? there are loads of tools used for tweaking graphics cards, some display ram on the cards ... try a few

And one last question: In hard drives, are bad sectors physical manifestations on the drive itself, or are they only corrupted data that can be fixed?
    bad sectors are irreparable sections of the hard disk platter, some are caused by head crash where the read/write head(s) hits the platter(s) and scratches sections, making them unusable ... also sections can have small pieces of debris (maybe caused by a head crash) stick to it and cause confusing data to be presented to the head and if the head cant correct it, it gets marked as a bad sector

Advertisement