Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PS2 60Hz problem sorted

Options
  • 08-09-2003 10:14am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is kind of strange. I remember a thread that was posted ages ago about people who could get the 60 Hz mode working with their gamecube but when they used 60Hz with their PS2 then they would only get a black and white screen. I used to have this really annoying problem as well. However ever since I got my PS2 chipped I can now play 60Hz games perfectly on the same tv. Anyone else noticed this, or does anyone have a decent explaination for why this happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Strange!!

When i would use the 60hz option on my ps2, the screen position would move an inch to the left. Gamecube and xbox work fine though. maybe there was some damaged or out of place in your ps2 and he fixed while chipping it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I thought it was something to do with my GC AV cable being the crappy analogue one you get with the the GC instead of the digital one you get with the PS2. My console was pretty dusty and he cleaned it up a bit and probably did fix some stuff around. Anyway, it's nice having 60Hz now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

The cable that comes with the ps2 is terrible, its not scart as so many ppl assume. Its composite cables fired into a stripped down scart head missing a bunch of pins. More often than not, black and white is what happens when you use a useless AV cable such as the one that comes with the ps2, or are using a tv that doesn't quite support NTSC. Composite scart also gives a woeful picture, compare a game/dvd using a proper scart or x-rgb and you'll notice the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

i had the EXACT same problem. The GC works fine with 60hz games, but the PS2 wont. Stupid thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    This is kind of strange. I remember a thread that was posted ages ago about people who could get the 60 Hz mode working with their gamecube but when they used 60Hz with their PS2 then they would only get a black and white screen. I used to have this really annoying problem as well. However ever since I got my PS2 chipped I can now play 60Hz games perfectly on the same tv. Anyone else noticed this, or does anyone have a decent explaination for why this happened.

The PS2 has had a colour mod done to it, so that it forces out at 60hz. Picture quality isnt as good as using a True RGB scart lead (all pins on scart plug connected) which will display all games in 60hz and colour provided your TV has an RGB input, which most do nowadays. Hope this helps.

mfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

this force pal 60 is not down to the mod itself, it is a separate wire that connects a pin on the graphics chip to a gnd point on the ps2 motherboard or the joining of two pins on the graphics chip depending what type of PS2 you have, as regards proper scart cables, all they do is take the green screen away from out of region dvd films...

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭mfield

Originally posted by thelad
    this force pal 60 is not down to the mod itself, it is a separate wire that connects a pin on the graphics chip to a gnd point on the ps2 motherboard or the joining of two pins on the graphics chip depending what type of PS2 you have, as regards proper scart cables, all they do is take the green screen away from out of region dvd films...

An RGB scart cable does not remove the green screen you need to do another mod to remove that. They allow you to play NTSC games and films in full colour on a TV with an RGB input.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭thelad

a blaze scart cable form GAME does it for me, not all versions PS2s have the green screen fix......

Advertisement