Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed - Windows 2000 Server

• 08-09-2003 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Have a new server here running Windows 2000. Last Friday i installed Service Pack 4. Today while trying to install ARCServe backup agent i get the error - "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. You may be running in Safe mode or Windows Installer may not be correctly installed".

I have re-started the Windows Installer Service but no joy.

Has anyone else come across this problem with Service Pack 4?

Any help solving this would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

start the ARCSERVE service as administrator instead of system, it often fixeds thie kind of problem.

control panel>admin tools>services

locate win installer service , properties , logon , probably loacl system in the log on tab

locate arcserve service(s) , properties , logon , probably local system in the log on tab.

Try changing ARCSERVE service(s) to domain/administrator and stop and start the services and see what happens.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LebonIRL

Thanks for the swift response Muck but that has not worked. i changed the logon of the Windows Installer Service.

However, there are no Arcserve services in the services control panel because i have not even got that far with the install. I just have the CD in and after i pick the program to run, i receive the error still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GreenDemon

Go to C drive properties then go to the security tab and see if [everyone] is listed . If it is not there add it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LebonIRL

Thanks Green Demon but the everybody group is already in the security tab of the C Drive properties.

Any other suggestions. I have a fix that involves editing the registry but i'd rather not do that.

I was also told to try installing Microsoft Office 2000 because this alters the MSI file on install but i don't have Office 2000. I have Office XP though and will give that a try if nothing else works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GreenDemon

Try this. Go to administrative tools then go to services in there scroll down on the list look for windows installer and make sure that it is set to manual or automatic

• Advertisement
Advertisement