Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading Laptops?

• 08-09-2003 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I'm getting a Dell laptop soon. I've never owned a laptop and don't know much about them.

Anyway, the system comes with a standard gfx card, Radeon 9000 4XAGP 32meg... I might need something a bit more powerful..

How does the above compare to the GeForce 256 32meg I'm used to? :(

Is it possible to upgrade/replace laptop gfx chips?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 GreenDemon

I don’t know much about laptop either but I am sure that u can upgrade gfx chip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Alienware are trying to introduce a new system by which you upgrade the graphics card on tha laptop. With regard to Dell, once you buy the laptop, you are stuck with the same graphics card. So I would advise you to choose carefully!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Jesus_Thats_Great! I'm amazed. Surely the advice you're looking to give here is "Never ever buy a Dell laptop"? You of all people should know!

Go for a brand called Advent - you'll get far more for your money. If you live in the Dublin area, you should be able to get one from Peats. Alternatively, if you're in the North, Currys should stock them. I'm sure Jesus_Thats_Great can give you way more information than I can.

Advertisement