Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The two fingers to Archery

• 08-09-2003 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Ya know the two fingers archers (yes they're the one you use for the 'V' sign insult) are suppose to use when pulling back the arrow - is this still standand practice?
    Because when I was a wee fella I use to use my thumb and fore finger to pull back the arrow. Always found that I'd get a better grip this way than with the two fingers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

I use my index finger and middle finger.

I find this quite easy. You can also get a thingy to proctect your fingers. Yes I know I said thingy cause I don't know what it is called.

But this softens on the finger when you pull back and doesn't cut into them.

Quite usefull.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

In fact in the more serious form of archery which I practise we don't hold the arrow at all.

The arrow clips onto the string and we pull back the string.

We use a "finger tab" to protect our fingers. The most common way of pulling back the string is to tuck your thumb and little finger out of the way-like making the boy scout sign-then put your index finger above the arrow and your other two fingers below the arrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Thats the word. Finger tab.

Thnx for that.
    Even with the arrows you buy in the shops these days they clip to the string. I just rest the arrow my finger to ensure it doesn't slide down the string.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

They also have bow gloves that cover the two fingers and run up over the back of the hand and snap around the wrist. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

I think that's mainly long bow/recreationist stuff if ya get me.

I've not seen it used though I've seen the gloves for sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Aryzel

Giving people the two fingers actually came from archery.

During the wars between England and France, if the french captured an english archery, used to cut off the two fingers he used to draw his bow.

The english to insult the french would show them the two fingers to show that they could still shoot them.

Hence showing the two fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Originally posted by halenger
    I think that's mainly long bow/recreationist stuff if ya get me.

I've not seen it used though I've seen the gloves for sale.

I know many Traditional bowhunters and competition competitors , they all use the glove instead of the tab . They also use an "armguard" on the opposite arm ( of the hand that holds the bow ) those that don't usually end up with some wicked brusing from the string provided the bow has sufficent draw strength to be a hunting bow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Turin

All Archers that i know use armguards. You do not have to using a hunting bow to get a very bad bruise. My own bow is only a 30 lb draw weight and I have gotten some bad bruises my self.

Even a very light bow can give a bad bruise eg 15lbs. (From Exp!)

Advertisement