Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a GPRS mobile as a modem via Bluetooth?

• 08-09-2003 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭

Has anyone set up a connection on their computer that uses their mobile phone as the internet connection via bluetooth? I have a Billionton USB dongle and an O2 GPRS connection on my 7650. I've set up the dial up networking connection on the PC but I have no clue what settings I need to set in it.

I have tried 'do not prompt for password/phone number' but any time I try the connection it says that it can't connect because of a hardware failure in the modem or something like that.

The Bluetooth connection works fine and I can sync via the serial port type connection. I can download mail/browse from my phone but just can't hook them together.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you can use the Nokia Installed Modem Config Control Panel, with the 7650 Bluetooth Modem installed

http://www.nokia.com/cda1/0,1080,2018,00.html

if you are pre pay you use internet or open.internet as your GPRS access point, for post pay it's pp.interent. (if not already set up on the access point you need O2 need to do this on their side before you can connect)

ensure the Modem is using the correct COM port (the Bluetooth DUN port), it should be detailed in your Bluetooth Software, if you can't find it post back...

you then create a Dial-Up Networking profile based around the Nokia Modem

user: gprs (or anything)
    pass: gprs (or anything)

dns1: 62.40.32.33
    dns2: 62.40.32.34

and dial: *99#

that's a bit short and sweet, post back if you are still having hassle (an alternative is to use the default modem if you bluetooth software installed it - but try the Nokia route first)

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Cheers Brian, a font of knowledge as usual :)
    I will take down those details and I will try tonight and let you know if I have any problems.

Just moved house and its going be another couple weeks before I get the landline installed, so I am relegated to posting from work.

Just an update...
    I tried this last night and the Nokia modem program would not install because it couldnt find a Bluetooth 1.1 compliant device (even though my USB adapter says its 1.1).

I then tried using the Billionton dial up networking and used the settings suggested by Brian. It almost worked - 'Dialling', 'Registering your computer on the network' then it fails with a message like 'The TCP/IP link connection was dropped'. All this time the G symbol on the phone had appeared but it never gets the box around it.

It looks like some sort of authentication failure (it mentions this if you click on help when the connection fails).

ok - when using the adapters modem/dial-up connection you have to enter in an INIT string (this is what the Nokia Modem Conrol Panel would have built for you using the GPRS access point name - if it had worked!)

in the Modem control panel open the adapter's installed Bluetooth Modem and find the tab to enter in an INIT string and enter:

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","0.0.0.0"

(where "internet" is the access point you are trying to connect to or another option is "open.internet", for post pay it's "pp.internet")

also, if you have only connected via WAP on the handset previously, you need to call 1740 and make sure you are set up at their end to allow connection to the internet access point

hth,
    BrianG

Cheers Brian

I will once again try this tonight. Btw, I have been using GPRS to browse, and get email for a while on the phone and I am on a contract with O2 - post pay i think? I have 2 connections on my phone; the first is for email and it's access point name is open.internet, the other seems to connect up when i connect to a wap site and it's access point name is wap.dol.ie.

Sound like the phone is set up right?

• Advertisement

perfect, you can use

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","open.internet","0.0.0.0"

and should also have this available

+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet","0.0.0.0"

btw, what OS are you running at home?

BrianG

Hi Brian

I'm running Win2k Professional at the moment and using the Billionton software that came on the CD as I havent been able to find any updated versions on their site.

Brian, I owe you a pint.

looks like you got set up ok then :)

btw, keep an eye on your GPRS usage - can easily eat thru' the KBs using a computer / laptop - if you are set-up for online viewing of your O2 account you can track the data usage for your GPRS sessions in your 'call since last bill' details (or keep an eye on the GPRS counter on the phone)

atb,
    BrianG

Advertisement