Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake3 going to bring Q1 and Q2 ppl together?

Options
  • 12-05-1999 4:58am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

In short I think not, all this new game will do is split the few gamers we have into even more groups, now the Q2'ers will be calling Q3'ers muppets. Now before anyone says "give it a chance it's just a test" for a start they'd want to replace the fog thrower with the quake1 rocket launcher and secondly they'd want to do some serious sh*t for fps enhancements and visability (flashes/fog/smoke).

Blade

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

hehe nice1 blade, 'fog thrower' smile.gif

i think ure wrong tho, the reason q1 ppl didnt go to q2 was preference, as might be the case this time. but the difference is that quake has been around for so long that ppl will probably choose to play q3 anyway for the change and 'new beginning' if u know what i mean. once they sort some of the stuff out, i reckon a lot of ppl will play it, me for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Yes Zero is right. Quake is a cool game but its been around far too long and its time to move to Quake 3 and have a united community with a solid league and maybe as someone said before a fresh start with Clans. No point in *****ing about a TEST. I'm sure ID will sort out some things like the excess ammount of Rocket smoke. As far as this FPS thing goes though, there are options in the settings to use either High Quality graphics or Fast Graphics and you can go further to customise the whole thing. Remember ID made no bones about ppl on ****e systems not been able to play. Its a 3D accelerated only game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

p233 with 40M ram and a v2. at 640x480 it ran fine with everything turned down to q2 quality type graphics. yeah my ping sucked, but then it does during the week smile.gif thought the net code was v good considering but neither of the levels are "that" good, one is v open "scourge of armagon" style rise of the triad jumpy level while the other is too dark imo. very hard to see the player models in certain areas of it but apart from that its the better of the 2.

having said that it was great fun, fast n furious and i'd presume there'll be config tweaks for the rocket trails etc in a later release. plasmagun. yuck. silly weapon, can't see a damn thing when you're firing it like.

Overall, so far Q3 is looking good.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Personally, I see it bringing people together. Yer gettin' a lot from both games and judging by the buzz so far (amongst ourselves), people are gonna get the game and most likely play it if for nothing else than a change and fresh start etc as Ronan said.

Now, if only I could sort this video card problem and I'd be away for slates!

All the best,

Dav
    curlydav.gif
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

[This message has been edited by Kharn (edited 12-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nah, it'll split everyone into little groups

we'll still have the hardcore q1 muppets

we'll have the cool q2 players

we'll have the 'knew kids on the block' q3ers

white(extreme left wing q1,2 and 3 sepratist clan)wash

heheheheh
    i like the fog-thrower. cool. great name for a clan!
    [FT]whitewash
    smile.gif

Game over man, game over....

• Advertisement

Love it Eamo.

Can I join yer clan, huh?

[FT]Kharn has a nice ring about it, really it does!!!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

now mr davitt,
    i remeber you in clan with me once and we had to throw you out (clan rogue?)

you were just to wayward and not good for team moral. however, if you have indeed learned the messagemode2 command (and how to catch buses while im at it smile.gif) of course you can.

team praccy in half an hour wink.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Ah, Blade - always the optimist smile.gif

As Ronan said tho', I think ppl will play it because they are starting to tire with Quake 1 and 2. No better example than myself, who went to Quake 2 after getting bored with Quake 1, went to Tribes after getting bored with Quake 2, went back to Quake 1 after getting bored with Tribes, and then just wiped the bloody lot from my HD!
    I get bored with stuff pretty quickly. eh?

Fact is, you can't stay playing the same game on the same levels for years and years and NOT get bored with it.

It's Mr Waldron actually Eamo tongue.gif

Damn sorry I missed Practice - I had a project presentation to do. Anyway - I've learned how to look at Train Time Tables and I'm planning a big day out in Dublin after the exams just for ****s and giggles. I might make it to one of the sessions in NetHouse and buy you taht Pint I owe ya!

Praccy again tonite (video card probs pending)?

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Actually I agree with Dupre.
    Its a nice looking game (god this scarey I'm sounding like a quake 1 player talking about quake 2) , but its just more of the same, and the whole thing is getting just a bit stale at this stage, tribes at least introduced a bit of variation into the thing.
    It'll be interesting to see just how long the common love thing will last. I suspect it will just break things up even more than they are now, we'll have q1 camp, q2 camp, a new q3 camp, and a group which are just bored camp.

Although as has been said before its just a test, so I might be pleasently surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I also might just learn how to spell by then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

rev, its different and its fun smile.gif dl it and we'll have a bash this evening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

nah lads do what nog says and turn the graphics down and you'll be able to see other people better
    i fookin love that q3test2 for some reason
    h8'd the game last night some aspects are crappy but the rl definetly does not! look right at all! smile.gif
    suds said ta look at qamex tanight for some tweakin news on it
    belive me its worth the hasstle settin it up right for a good game
    to turn down the grafix so ye can see stuff go inta "system configuration" then "graphics options" and turn the lighting yolk to vortex i think it is
    hope it helps
    p.s.might be a bit too q2ey lookin for yee q1ers wink.gif

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I can play it fine (with all the effects on btw) on my measly p200 thanks to the V3 card I got.

I thought its way to dark, though. Switch the lighting to vertex and it brightens everything up well. Makes it a lot easier to spot those Q1 muppets wink.gif and perplex them by killing them with the railgun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

we used to think p75's ran quake 'fine' in trinity ages ago(we didnt know about mipcap or anything either cos we were newbies). No wonder we used to see demo's of ppl on p133's (wow!) and think that they were cool (uhh this demo had this american bloke, right, and he was cheating!!, so this was before we used to cheat, so we thought he must be cool like, but uhh.. something)

What FPS do you get?
    and what viewsize do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pio

funny what minimum hardware requirements are....
    I play q3test on p166 64 Mb w/4mb v1
    i get 10-30 fps on test2, which imho is one of the best dm levels since dm6 smile.gif
    But, q3 is not too bad for a half-arsed q1 player to get to grips with, except for that damn railgun, makes a clay pigeon shoot of some ppl.. hehe, watch for some kewl q3ers in the future namely akawaka, maybe ten.

Advertisement