Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

secret weapons of world war 2 released today

Options
  • 08-09-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

hi guys just got this today, im off for a blast in a bit, just to let you know cheapest i could find it is 30 euro, also the 1.45 patch is included with the install

shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yes, ordered it from Play.com just before I left for Amsterdam [Where i am talking to you from]. It will probably be waiting for me when i return home. Good Battlefield fun awaits.

The best prices as always are on the net where you can find it for €20 or there abouts. Buying in Dublin will always be expensive.

mmmm smokin' goodness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Anyhoo found a few servers to play on without being kicked for 2 high a ping.

First impressions are very good, the maps are varied and the new weapons are pretty decent.

I particulalry liked the flying rocket, have no idea what your supposed to do with it as your actually in it, bailed out a few times but just went back to the launchpad.

On one of the maps the teams were very unbalanced as the british team had the rocket plane and is nearly impossible to shoot the damn thing down

but anyhow a very good third outing for bf1942, now onto vietnam lol

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yeah i agree, i got it on friday for E 24 :D

It's a great expansion ,a nice change from DC ,one thing i noticed is that the bots were actually verry good to play with/against which is a nice addition.As shinzon said the new weapons are impressive - the wasserfall rocket is so frikken funny to use,the new U.S.A tank ( T95 super heavy tank with AA ) is a bloody monster,four tank tracks - bout the size of 4 shermans put togeather - amazing.I can see this being very popular.

CombatCow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Anyone know how to play as the Allied Commando/German Elite unit? :confused:

I respawned as an Allied Medic with a suppressed Sten (chunky feel, great weapon!) as opposed to having a standard-issue Thompson, and I presume that that was a Commando unit, but don't remember how to do it again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

No No all Brit medics have Stens now, its in the patch, as in the jap Machine guns are type 99's and the russian machine gun is a DP looks like a tommy gun. The Brit Commandos and Elite Kraut are only on certain levels such as eagles nest or Hassenvallud or wateva its called (the snowy level in daytime). But overall the game is class, good i u dont have DSL and cant play online cuz it includes Battle of Britian and stuff. I love the New Vechicles that run on both land and water ( very inventive). Puts Road to Rome to shame

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Puts Road to Rome to shame

some fun info and comparisons for RTR and SWOWW2.

Road to Rome was created by Dice Canada, not Dice sweden [Who created original BF]. Secret weapons was done by Dice Sweden as Dice Canada are busy working on another project, Battlefield Vietnam.

Dont worry though. They wont make a mess of Vietnam the way they did with Road to Rome :) ... RTR wasent really half bad, made some good changes but just lacked so much, thats what made it a bore.

My copy of Secret Weapons is in the post somewhere between Jersey and Dublin [Thank you Play.com :) ] and should be arriving soon. It seems to have become a very popular expansion pack. It is already at number 2 on the top 10 on Play.com. Official Charts will be out on Friday so we can see how it is performing then :)

i cant get off it to be honest, youll always find me on k-play.de thrashing about in the jet planes and the jetpacks, very very good EXP pack, havent played desert combat since it came out

And thatll tell you how good it is

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

muchos fun game, but one quick question, where the utter hell is the wasserfall rockety thingy?? ive looked all over for it and can't find it...oh and shinzon, when you fire it, you stay at the launchpad. not inside the rocket. you just guide it via 1st person....i wanna fly it!!

Ok theres one on the Mimoyocques, at the very top Axis Base, if your on that base and you are facing the village it is to your right, not that hard to see, but ill warn you those things are mad hard to learn to drive, there is also one in penemuende its in the middle Peninsula at the very end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Looks good fun ,but the reason RTR sucked was because the maps in it were originaly for BF1942 and were taken out so to make an exp pack.

EA going about normal business but the canadians took over the maps and well they were nice but but already made by swedish people they just added some minor stuff to it.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Spike
    muchos fun game, but one quick question, where the utter hell is the wasserfall rockety thingy?? ive looked all over for it and can't find it...oh and shinzon, when you fire it, you stay at the launchpad. not inside the rocket. you just guide it via 1st person....i wanna fly it!!

Originally posted by Spike

Figured it in the end lol, hard to control the rocket sometimes, but ive killed afew people with it lol

Anyhoo just a quick question about the jetpacks, can you start offwith the rocket pack equipped or do you really have to wait until someones killed as a medic to get it, that seems to be the only way i can get the jetpack at the mo

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

This sucks, my copy won't install. :( The CD seems ok because I can copy all the files off it onto my HD and run the installer from there, but I get the same error. It says:

"Battlefield 194.exe[sic] has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program

An error log is being created."

It doesn't actually create an error log (even when running the installer from the HD) and the error message has that weird mis-spelling of 'Battlefield 1942.exe' also. This is weird. The error message occurs right at the start of the installation after I click the first 'next' button and it's about to start copying files.

My Battlefield installation works just fine btw. I tried installing the SW mod over 1.4, got the error, then upgraded my BF to 1.45 and tried again - and got the same error. :(

Any ideas lads? Any guides out there to copying over the files manually perhaps, since the installer isn't working?

Cheers,
    Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Go into Event Viewer in Administrative options and view the error log post it here if possible.

Then google the error thats in there :)

Assuming you have W2k or XP so its in Control Panel the Adminsitrative options and within that icon is a few options Event Viewer is one of them.

Try and install again so you have an exact time (they are listed by date and time).

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Which servers do you guys play on? It'd be nice to get shot by some Irish people for a change ;)

Shinzon u have to find them on each level (wat a bollix that is), anyway in Essen theres one in the Axis Base outpost and a couple at the top of the buildings, and in Hellendjorn its in the building opposite the church in the middle town, on the top floor. They kinda suck tho, cuz u get a MP40.

thx m8, so you gotta find them rather than starting off with em, oh well bit of a nuisance that

shin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Again, any chance of an Irish server for SWOWW2?

Originally posted by monument
    Again, any chance of an Irish server for SWOWW2?

If i had the money i would have several BF servers running, but alas i dont have the funds :(

Jarhedz used to [anywhy] have a BF server running. I dont know if its still running or not. Usually you will find people from the UK and Ireland in there.
    We also used tohave our IOL BF server but i dont know where that has gone now. I should really check ASE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I finally managed to get it installed by killing all the processes I could from the win2k process list. I'm not sure which one was causing the installer to die though..

The expansion is pretty cool, though a few of the levels are very naff. That Kbely Airbase one is horribly unfair on the Allies I reckon. Also the Bren gun seems to absolutely poon all other rifles in the game. :)

The Aircraft are fun, though I can't see any point to the little US fighter. The guns are too weak. The axis fighter is savage though a bit skill-less, I haven't seen anyone bothering to use the guns as the rockets "PWN" so much.

I, too, wish they hadn't hidden the jetpacks around the levels.

Teeth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement