Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

College grant

• 08-09-2003 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭

Anyone know the process for applying for a grant
    in ireland?

Btw im living in dublin and over the 15 miles away from the said college.

What kind of means testing is done?
    My father is retired - how would this affect the case?

Thanks a lot.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'd imagine you'd be too late for applying for this year but get in touch with your council/corporation and they should have the information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Contact your loacl Authority- they are the peeps who award grants for maintenance etc.

David

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Most of what you need to know is on the AIB website (yes, they detail local authority grants, mainly because they give out loans while grant instalments are delayed).

check here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Around this stage/maybe a bit later the confirmation letter would be coming out. As mentioned, it might be too late. But it's always worth a try.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,113 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by Imposter
    I'd imagine you'd be too late for applying for this year but get in touch with your council/corporation and they should have the information.

As far as I know the closing date was the Friday of the week before last. You can check with your local social welfare office though to see if they'll accept late submissions.

In terms of qualifying - this is the last year of the current system. At the moment its based on the combined income of your parents in the previous year. From next year it'll also take into account assets - so crafty self-employed people can't use the year to spend lots on equipment for example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

it could be too late dunno but i know a lad who last year didnt get grant til round febuary due to different reasons like applying late etc. if you are late just do what he did get your loacl politican to get the finger out and sort ya:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

As far as I know the Local Authorities pretty much have full discretion about allowing late applications, and it can be a good while before anything is awarded anyway, so basically it doesn't hurt to try, even now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

screw every penny out of them if ya can at all.if it means killing one of your parents to lower your family income by all means try it.i reccommend pushing them down the stairs....i mean come on its not like your gonna be seeing them again cos ul be off living away at college or in jail.i hear jails a class place to go for getting an edusation.no hassle looking for accomadation either

Advertisement