Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundcard to stereo?

Options
  • 08-09-2003 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hey, stupid question really but anyway..

Is there any way to connect my pc to a mini hi-fi that has no
    line in input?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Well since its a mini hi-fi I assume it has no record player. I managed to connect my pc through the record player connection at the back on my stereo. As far as I know there is no other way.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

what about a car radio casette adaptor things?

would it work?

Yea i was thinkign of something like that, I didn't want to say as I havent personally tried it......techincally it *should* work.... headphone out of the sound card..... Interesting.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Thought about the tape thing but the problem is that the tape mechanism is very noisy and creates background noise... ah well... :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭MartinHSabag

Well since its a mini hi-fi I assume it has no record player. I managed to connect my pc through the record player connection at the back on my stereo. As far as I know there is no other way

NOT GOOD !!!

The "record player" imput (Phono as usually called) is pre-amplified with a special curve called RIAA. The RIAA curve means to amplify more the high frequencies and less the lower ones. This is due to the inherent problems in the early days of manufacturing "flat-response" cartridges.
    The RIAA curve is a standard for all turntables in the world.
    The only turntables that don't need that are the DJ's ones as they usually come with that phono-stage built in inside them - thus you can connect them to any line input (in a mixer or amp), however if you'll check the signal comming out of the cartridge it still needs a phono stage.

and I haven't even gone into the differences between MC (moving coil) ior MM (movin magnet) cartridges and the difference in the phono stages each type requiers....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

There's also a big difference in level between a phono level input and a standard line level in.

Hmmm the stereo I had at the time was a very good one, it worked.... sorry if I was missleading.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It's a bit of an anachronism really, most modern amps don’t have phono stages any more, and many modern turntables build the phono stage into the turntable, providing a line level output.

However if you do have a genuine phono level in on your amp, it’s not a good idea to plug a line level source into it – it’s a much higher level than expected on a phono input. At the same time, its not the sort of thing that you won't notice after doing it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

AFAIK some amps have an internal jumper that can be set to bypass the phono stage turning the input into a standard line in.

Advertisement