Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merlin Car Auctions?

Options
  • 08-09-2003 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

What do people think about Merlin Car auctions??

Serious value or avoid like the plague?

I'd be bringing along someone who know about cars so would hopefully avoid driving away a complete lemon but is the lack of comeback worth the potential saving?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by Bluehair
    What do people think about Merlin Car auctions??

Serious value or avoid like the plague?

Some good value to be had (just look at the numbers from the trade there), but be VERY wary. Visit the auction a few times before you decide to buy to get a feel for the way things work. There are two auctions, one on wed, but the main one is on sat. Scrutinise every thing you look at, if in doubt walk away. Don't fall for any one car, as long as you're buying a mainstream model there'll always be another one. There's no guarantee, so when the hammer falls you're stuck with it.

As long as you're not too picky (colour, extras etc) you can find yourself a real bargin (oh and the american auctioneer is something else, you'll know what i'm talking about when see him)

There's a mailing list you can subscribe to which will give you the results from all the auctions every month. Get this, study it & you won't get ripped off.

Golden rule: set your limit & stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Originally posted by spuddy
    Some good value to be had (just look at the numbers from the trade there), but be VERY wary. Visit the auction a few times before you decide to buy to get a feel for the way things work. There are two auctions, one on wed, but the main one is on sat. Scrutinise every thing you look at, if in doubt walk away. Don't fall for any one car, as long as you're buying a mainstream model there'll always be another one. There's no guarantee, so when the hammer falls you're stuck with it.

As long as you're not too picky (colour, extras etc) you can find yourself a real bargin (oh and the american auctioneer is something else, you'll know what i'm talking about when see him)

There's a mailing list you can subscribe to which will give you the results from all the auctions every month. Get this, study it & you won't get ripped off.

Golden rule: set your limit & stick to it.

Thanks for the advice Spuddy have just been on the website and signed up for the results mailing list. Might try and swing down that way on Wed to see how it all works.

All I'm looking for is a reliable turbodiesel (octavia? etc..) thats in decent condition so I appreciate the tips. :D

Advertisement