Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a satellite dish for Net access?

Options
  • 08-09-2003 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't the foggiest about this so....

Could a satellite dish be used to connect to the internet. One of them old ones the ones used before Sky digital?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

some good info on the boards already ref. satellite internet..search for sat@once/europeonline/silvermead

As regards the type of dish, dont know for sure...i have one of the lidl 80cm dishes and it can be used for this purpose...i believe you would need a *digital* receiver??
    The lads on the satelite board can clarify this im sure..
    Would be best moved there?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Ya, its one of them Lidl ones.

What sort of digital receiver should i be looking out for?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You'll find there are problems..

a) ping times - the satellite part of the link takes 400ms for packets to travel. - Forget it for gaming or anything realtime.

b) unless you buy a uplink dish (big money) you need a modem or something to send the mouse clicks to the base station - so you need FRIACO or ISDN (not BB 'cos then there would be no point)

c) Cost - depends - €1 per mb for some services !!!
    If you are lucky they throttle rather than charge when you go over the CAP...

d) contention - if a satellite ISP has a transponder all to themselves then customers are sharing 22MBs (or 27Mb) - All over Europe

The advantages
    a) you can get it anywhere ...
    b) it is great for download only
    - sat at once www.csp.it - if you have a sat card you can receive a stream - you can vote for it's contents - but not much control over it.

Advertisement