Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of a wierd one here....

• 08-09-2003 7:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭

Right this particular problem is driving me slowly insane so i come in a vain search for help.
    The problem is this; recently upgraded most of the components in pc last of which was a new mobo (abit NF7-s v.2) no complains what so ever from the board infact quite the opposite. But after getting everything set up i went about getting the network in my house back to its former glory and get the internet back in everyroom.
    After some niggling little problems i got everyone connected (via a D-Link 5 port switch btw) but i noticed as soon as one of the pcs connected the internet started to crawl at ridiculous speeds (56ks speeds) AND to make it worse i notice the mouse would "lag" or stutter every so often and it got worse when playing games that normally have fps of over 100 it felt like it was running at about 15 8(.
    Thing about this is that it only happens when this pc is turned on, and we have never had problems like this before. So i went about troubleshooting i.e changing lan cards changing cables checking the usb into the modem etc etc everything i could thing of but still every 20 minutes my pc starts stuttering quite annoying considering my specs,

2550 megahertz AMD Athlon 2600XP (stable)
    512mb Corsair Twinx PC4000 Dual DDR kit
    Abit NF7-S V2.0
    MSI MS-StarForce GeForce4 Ti 4800
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    WD Caviar 120 gig 7,200 rpm HD
    ASUS CRW-4816A.
    CPU cooling: Vapochill PE (Titanium)

All the other pc's are fine just this one pc is acting up and another thing i noticed was the data led's on my port and the problem pc's port are flickering like crazy, far more than the rest even though the rest are downloading and mine and the problem pc are idleing.
    Sorry to make it so long winded but i felt detail was needed.
    Has anyone experienced similar problems or anyone know a solution?
    Many thanks for the help,
    Dev

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

I saw a very similar problem when I setup a small network for my sister: two PCs, an Athlon 1800 and an old Fujitsu P166 used for web surfing in a spare room.

Data transfers via a 10BASE-T connection between the Athlon and Fujitsu were incredibly slow, just as you describe. I eventually tracked the problem down to a cheap 10BASE-T hub I bought from Mri. For some reason, some PCs plugged into this hub absolutely crawled. Other PCs were fine.

I had installed a similar hub at my parent's house and saw similar results - some PCs fine, other PCs crawled. I haven't opened up the hub to see what chip it's using, but based on what you said, it might well be the same one as in the D-Link.

I replaced the hub with a cheap 10/100 switch and all the problems went away; might be worth a try. (Marx Computers were doing 8-port 10/100 switches for about EU43 recently; don't know if they have any left.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭BeatFreak

i was hoping it wouldnt come to that ***, but thanks for the info what annoys me is the fact that ive tried all the avaliable ports and i get the same result in all of them with the problem pc but others are fine. and what really baffles me is that fact that its slowing down my PC not just the net i wouldnt mind if it was just slow transfer rates but making my machine stutter?
    Thanks for the speedy reply,
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Dev

Advertisement