Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Tattoos

Options
  • 08-09-2003 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Anyone got one? picture?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'd be killed by parents if I got a tatoo, don't like tatoos anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

i've seen a couple around. a friend asked me to translate hers, she had no idea what it said (hers meant 'water' - even with my limited reading abilities i knew that one) but it seems to me many people get them without any clue what they mean ...

True that, if the tatoo puter onner (dunno what he/she is called) is mean, then he could put one that would mean asshole or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

tattoist, i think. more likely that the tattoee (??) selects a silly phrase on offer from a catalogue, possibly at the behest of their sneaky chinese-literate friends. methinks caveat emptor! :D

i just can't get past how much pain is involved with getting a tattoo. and how much more pain there will be getting it removed. uggh!

aye I think it's painful alright, dunno how those people with like 10 tatoos can deal with the pain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭ezpzie

I think that there's probably crying and ice cream afterwards :)
    Well if someone told me that I'd be paying someone to puncture me loads of times with a needle I'd DEFINITELY want some ice cream.. ah.. ben and jerrys...

Back to the thread: some of my friends have: air, water, friends, love, peace and wood head (okay, I think that they asked for something else but thought wood head looked better... tsk!)

And what exactly is a wood head?

It's chinese slang, translate it into chinese and it roughly equates to block head...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 The Preacher

Oh please people, if you haven't experienced getting a tattoo don't discuss it as if it's some agonising torture session which only the hardest of the hard can go through. :rolleyes: I had one done years ago - one of those Celtic armband type jobs around my upper arm. Yes it was mildly painful but nothing worse than you'd experience with a mild dose of sunburn. That was five years ago and I still love it, would love to get another one done in fact except that I haven't given any serious thought to what design...it's so hard to come up with something relevant / original / interesting.

tch, did he not ask what it meant before he got the 'wood head' tatoo?

Preacher: is it very sore to get the tatoo off or have you tried it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 keeaumoku_tofu

I got mine but I can read it. There have actually been lawsuits where people sued because the tattoo they thought read "honor" meant "dumb ass" or similiar.

LOL - to be expected I guess. piccie?

well that's his fault, he should have researched what the character looks like beforehand, stupid people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had a tattoo on my 18th birthday on my left shoulder blade of a kinda celtic type thing, but not quite (pic to follow later) about 4" long.

have been happy with it for 8 years now, and no inclination to have it removed.

out of curiosity, you do know tattoo's are supposed to be permanent don't you? OK so you can have them removed with laser surgery, but that kind of defeats the point of getting the thing in the first place doesn't it?

if you really think you might want it removed then don't fecking get one!

as for more tattoo's I was looking into getting a much bigger one of a dragon covering the top half of the left side of my back, shoulder upper left arm and left side of my chest (just to do a proper job of it!). it would cover the old tattoo, but only cos its in the way, not cos i don't like it any more and it would look wrong if i had the dragon on the other side with the little one where it is.

the plan was to be a bit different. I'm not one of those covered in piercings and tattoo's or anything, and I'm an IT engineer in a good job, so I'm not really the sort of person you would expect to see with something like that, which is why I'm getting it.

the plan was to have the prayer of serenity in chinese on the back with the dragon, a modified yin yang on the azrm in the dragons claw, and something else maybe on the front with the dragons head.

I've had the initial design done, but I had a bit of a financial crisis and had to put it on hold for a few months, but since I've just got a better job and I'm going to Thailand on Friday, I might get it done over there. I'm going to see a friend so I might see if he can arrange something for me cos it'll be about a quarter of the cost that it would be here.

don't worry, I plan on making sure he's a good'un before getting under the needle.

anyway, might get a pic of the old one posted if i get the chance.

when you get the new one take a photo if you can!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 irishunicorn

Meant to mean Family (Taken off wall chart) but can't find it anywhere??

tattoo.jpg

Can anyone tell me if they know what it really means? someone suggested it meant Clan (same thing as family I suppose?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Lantis

Yup, 族, zú, meaning a clan/tribe/family.

Advertisement