Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

History Special Topic - Help!

Options
  • 08-09-2003 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hey, I want to start my special topic ASAP and I want to write about the west clare railway line, since I know a good deal about it. Is that an acceptable topic its within the specified years and its local Irish history. But is it of too little relevance to write about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Know *nothing* about it. What are its connections to what's on the course? I mean, you have to sort of 'prove' that it's of historical relevance... but if you can waffle on a bit about its contribution to whatever, I think you're okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Bono_85

Well it has alot to do with the 1883 Tramways Act and also some strange government legislation regarding profit and entitlement to it. But I guess its more to do with rural Ireland and how it evolved over the years. But more to do with the first Irish railways which emerged all over the country after the act in 1883. And the act is mentioned in the text books on two seperate occasions. I just wanted to do somethin different and I read local Irish topics are generally marked higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

A girl in my class did her special topic on the railway there this year and got a b1 or so in her exam so, yeah, it has relevence. Plus she won a prize from tcd for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

Yeah, you're grand, go for it. :)

Cool thanks for the help! By the way did she get a B1 for her special topic or a b1 for the overall exam??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Irish special topics generally get higher marks? Really? Is that just something to do with you're able to do better research etc or what?

yeah I read that in another thread about special topics, do a search for it and you should find it, I reckon its a good idea to get it outta the way early. I just hope the one Im doing is actually relevant to the course, It should be though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i got full marks on me special topic, and it was on the The Effect of the German Luftwaffer years 1939 - 1945.

The topic is the easiest marks, i suggest you do this question first in the exam!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I did a europeon special topic and got 80/80 for it.

What topic did you do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

hey bono i have some rapid history exam tips and stuff if you want them? just PM me your e-mail address!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I did Hitler in World War one.
    I recommend Mussolinis Jail Break during WWII just cause I want to read about it.
    Its apparently very very interesting.
    The key is not what you do, its how you do it.
    Re-write the thing 50 times until it reads like something a college professer wrote :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

TY phb, im gonna do that :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

I did Sputnik and got 80/80.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

Originally posted by PHB
    I did Hitler in World War one.
    I recommend Mussolinis Jail Break during WWII just cause I want to read about it.
    Its apparently very very interesting.
    The key is not what you do, its how you do it.
    Re-write the thing 50 times until it reads like something a college professer wrote :)

Thats what I did mine on :) Was interesting but was tough to find sources on it though, had to get books from a library on other side of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭smelly girl

yeah i really need to start my special topic but really stuck"!!!! any1 help me????

Advertisement