Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool.

Options
  • 08-09-2003 11:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

I have been a huge fan of this band since about 94-95. Before Ænima was realease. And I jsut find it a huge achievement of the band that they have had such huge success without giving into the corporate mainstream.

I was wondering though- this may sound stupid- if Tool did go with the flow of doing MTV and making such radio friendly, commercial material would they have made it or ended up like so many in that genre and that era.
    Any thoughts would be really cool and interpretations of there music, videos and basically anything Tool related.
    Be well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

If they did, they would have huge success for about a year, then be forgotten, like so many other bands.

Never really liked Tool myself much tho, they arent bad, but they just really arent my kinda music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Stinkfist is their only song I like. I just don't 'get' them. If they did go down the corporate cock-sucking avenue, I reckon that they'd probably be lumped in with Nu-metal bands for a while, and then when the likes of Korn and Limp Bizkit started to outsell them, they'd be ditched like a bitch on Jerry Springer.
    Seen them live twice though, and I seriously don't know what all the fuss is about them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

I think Tool are an excellent band. Their music showcases the talent that the band has in abundance. Probably the best metal/prog-rock band around imo.

I am suprised at how their popularity has grown in recent years, especially here in Ireland. After A Perfect Circle's Mer De Nom was so successful everybody seemed to turn their attention to Tool. Schism got a lot of airplay on Phantom and I've heard Cormac Battle play them on 2fm also.

I couldn't believe the amount of Tool t-shirts I saw at concerts such as Audioslave and Slane. I used to think that they were a best kept secret but it's evident that this is no longer the case.

I don't think Tool really care how popular they are or not. They have always had a very loyal following especially in America and will hopefully continue to produce good music for anyone who cares to listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I couldn't believe the amount of Tool t-shirts I saw at concerts such as Audioslave and Slane. I used to think that they were a best kept secret but it's evident that this is no longer the case.

Man I wwent to Slane to see U" and saw not one, but two Tool Australian tour t-shirts. I thought I was the only person in Ireland to have one. And I cant believe that if you saw them live you still dont see what the fuss is about. I go see bands all the time and absolutely nothing rates to them live. I honestly can say that they are the best band live I have ever seen. Musically and performance its mind blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I think Tool, in particularly Maynard, have a wonderful ability to convey emotion related to themes that no other band would dare go near.

For example, Stinkfist, as I'm sure everybody knows, is about fisting. But rather than go for an exaggerated, depraved look at this subject, the theme of the song treats it as if it is something beautiful. Despite it being an unusual sexual practice, Maynard puts it in the context of a kind of beautiful love between 2 people.

The Grudge, similarly, is not about keeping agression towards people, but instead about letting it go, and becoming a better person.

Most metal artists just approach these themes from the point of view of being controvertial or disgusting (i.e. Marilyn Manson), or just don't go near topics like this at all.

That may sound like a load of arty bollocks, but when you look at it, its true. But lets face it, the real reason we (the Tool fans) all love Tool is because they make damn good music. Thier lyrical ability is secondary, but yet something that no other band touch. Every one of their albums seems to be better than the last, in my opinion, so if that scale continues, the next one should totally blow me away! It's been 2 years since Lateralus was released. I wonder if there's a new one in the pipeline...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Try to think of any other act that has had the success Tool has had in the same length of time, I think you'd be hard pressed to! I mean how many bands are lucky enough to have 2 albums in a row to debut at no.1 or 2 in the billboard music charts without a major push by their label, MTV or radio? They are in the enviable position of having worked hard, accepted no comprimise for their art, and reaped rewards. Fair play to 'em, Tool are my favourite band ever for the above reason and and many more. Fame and celibrity hold no attraction to them, rarely giving interviews and when they do, they come accross as "difficult" (this is their oft misunderstood sense of humour, Maynard himself says "Stinkfist" is a humourous song)

Musically, Artistically, and professionally they command and deserve respect, and have gotten it without being butt****ed by the industry, and with the industry being the cesspool it is right now, I consider it a beautuiful miracle.

Thank God, Satan, whoever, for Tool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Don't really have an opinion on them but i enjoy listening to most of their cds - lateralus, opiate, aenima

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

120_minutes
    Musically, Artistically, and professionally they command and deserve respect, and have gotten it without being butt****ed by the industry, and with the industry being the cesspool it is right now, I consider it a beautuiful miracle.

I will agree that they deserve some respect, while they arent a technically superb band with awsome solo's or whatnot, their very inventive with their songs and every song is diffrent. What I respect about them the most is that they can be well known, and not have their music ruined by going Commercial, they definately deserve a medal for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

"Best prog band ever"? That's a pretty rash assumption, don't you think?

Listen to Opeth / Porcupine Tree if you like progressive ***. Tool are a bit too *simple* to really impress fans of prog rock.

while they arent a technically superb band with awsome solo's or whatnot

Have you ever tried drumming a Tool song? Even the guitar playing is reasonably complex, but the drumming is just f***ing rediculous!
    "Best prog band ever"? That's a pretty rash assumption, don't you think?

Listen to Opeth / Porcupine Tree if you like progressive ***. Tool are a bit too *simple* to really impress fans of prog rock.

Of course its a rash assumption, but that's what being a music fan is all about - supporting your favourite band of the moment! As I said about the drumming, "simple" is just plain wrong! Although all the guitar is predictably dropped D for every song. I don't think that really rules them out of being the best prog-rock band of the moment though - their melodies are very interesting, and their lyrical ability is top-notch in my opinion. Being prog-rock isn't just about weird guitars and strange noises.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Sorry, but no, they're not very technically 'Superb' at all. In completely honesty, all they've really got going for them is the different timings. But in all fairness, that's not really a bad thing! I personally hate bands who try to use all kinds of mad timings simply for the sake of using them. The whole "Hey, look what I can do" aproach just stinks.

I far prefer a band who makes more interesting melodies, and use different/strange timings in more song orientated ways. Stand up, Tool.

But I still find it odd that people cant appreciate that a band with obviously good talent are out-doing the likes of Limp Bizkit. They do certainly, as one poster has said, deserve a medal for that.

No, I certainly dont think they can hold a candle to Opeth, but I dont think that's really a point. Most of the bands I listen to can't hold said candle, but they're still ****ing brilliant anyway.

Its all about perspective. When you first discover a band, they seem better than any other in the world. Most of the stuff I loved as a teenager, I absolutely hate now. Except Placebo. Still good. (Another argument altogether)

Advertisement