Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to New York

• 08-09-2003 11:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hey Folks.
    I am thinking of heading off to New york for about 6-8 months. If anyone has been to work over there and wouldn't mind sharing ideas on how to get Visa and accommadation etc. I would greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Very hard to get a visa from here
    unless you have a great career record or you know someone

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

According to a programme on TV the other night, New York is apparently in a state of melt down financially.

Since 9/11 the city has been crippled by mounting debts, lack of investment from obviously nervous companies and on top of that the US economy in general is in a very bad state with huge amounts of money being pumped into Iraq and other projects, there isnt a lot good going on with it.

The overall picture was a very glum one, with city services being cut back to a minimum even as far as road maintenance and rubbish collection. And now there is talk of a major hike in state taxes to try and curb this downward spiral..

Ive never been there and its always somewhere Ive always wanted to visit and maybe even live there for a while but to be honest, after looking at the programme, it didnt look too appealing on the jobs front.

Might be a good idea to try and have some sort of job arranged before you go..

Tox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

I lived in New York for a while before 9/11 and even then they were cracking down on illegals. I worked as the only bouncer in a dodgy bar for quite a while before i got a bar job. Once I had a job, I relaxed and enjoyed it. I still have friends there and they tell me it's really really tough to get a job now and believe me, when your not working over there, money disappears fast.

Advertisement