Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student account freebies

Options
  • 08-09-2003 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

Opened me B.O.I account today I gets a free flight to a range of european cities as long as I make 30 transactions between now and january which is nice anyone know what A.I.B are offering.

Was hoping for a new phone but ahwell :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

way better than what we got last year
    i already had an account tho
    but just opened up a bank of ireland and aib just to get the free cds....and ****!!

if there was more banks i wud have opened an account with them too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Do you need your college ID to open the account 'cause I'm starting on the 26th.

em, student account what is it

Free banking
    ATM Card
    Phone/Internet banking
    etc

Also how hard is it to get a Student Credit card?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Usually you use your cao acceptence slip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

anyone can get a student credit card.
    You just need a guarantor.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

For a Student Mastercard from AIB? Ya don't need nobody but yourself.

I didn't anyway. 400euro limit. 5% is ttaken by Direct Debit from your account and they'll start calling ya if it seems like you're going over the limit or it looks like you need to "arrange" financing etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭cartman

does it take long to proccess, ill be orderin g mine tommorow , when wil i have it?

also, i might be takin a year out [ill defer my course] will i still be able to get one??

thanks,
    cartman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Your year out should not be a problem, the cards are only valid for a year, so when mine was about to go I gave them a call and they said the new one would be sent out, no questions about whether I was in college or not.

I was called up at one stage to confirm my student status, not related to the credit card, I said I was on the year out and asked if my student account would be effected and they said no, so long as I was going back to college.

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Do you have to be a fresher to avail of these new account offers?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its a normal credit card, the exact same as any other. They have set the limit to 400 or so but this increases over time. Mine was recently increased to 1000. All credit cards are updated automatically when they are about to expire.

sorry I didn't make that clear, I didn't have to call to get the new card, I was just paranoid!

It's not all that normal though, most cards don't expire every year, and it has stupid pictures on the front :D I've also been told (maybe of boards) it has single transaction limit of 500, you obviously have to put cash onto the card before you reach that limit but for flights etc. it can be a problem.

Did you do anything to get your limit increased, I didn't know it was possible, I've had mine 2 years almost, how long should I be waiting (I think I am well behaved with my payments)?

rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by jesus_thats_gre
    Its a normal credit card, the exact same as any other. They have set the limit to 400 or so but this increases over time. Mine was recently increased to 1000. All credit cards are updated automatically when they are about to expire.

Is that limit an AIB Student Card? I've had one for 2 years now & no increase, I even rang them up about increasing it and I was told point blank that they don't offer limits of over €400 on the student card. A friend of mine who has a BOI one got his upped to €500, thou' this is standard on the BOI card when you go into 3rd year.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

If I recall correctly they (AIB) don't do limit increases on student cards except in emergencies. Depends if you get lucky - sometimes you might just the the right customer service person on the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No it is still BOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ring up AIB CC centre and ask them to uppeh your limit, easy. Govt stamp cost is 40 euro though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭colm_c

I got a CC from Ulster Bank as a student, and they gave me 2000 limit!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by bazH
    Ring up AIB CC centre and ask them to uppeh your limit, easy. Govt stamp cost is 40 euro though.

I think its €19 for students can someone clarify this?

stamp duty is 40 euro for students and everyone else :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Just to aks again...is it just for freshers or can third year who havent got a BOI/AIB account yet blag some schtuff?

I know a good few people who weren't freshers, already had bank accounts, but opened up new ones just to get the phone in Sept 2001. Not sure if they clamped down on that last year though.

People were opening accounts using their rental address/sisters home/etc etc, I guess that's fraud really, but what do you expect from student bumbs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by rob1891
    it has single transaction limit of 500, you obviously have to put cash onto the card before you reach that limit but for flights etc. it can be a problem.

I've got the AIB student mastercard, tried to use it to pay the college reg charge, and found the following info:

€400 credit limit, as stated in the literature. No problem, I thought, I'll just load the card with cash.

buttheres also a €400 daily spending limit AND a €400 transaction limit. Even when the CC centre staff try and change these for you, your card will still be referred for manual authorisation.

So, its probably not worth the hassle...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

just opened a bank of ireland student account in belfast..

if i lodge 200pounds (which is easy.. with fees, etc to pay)
    i get a free crispy 50pound note .. (70euro)

yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭myhandle

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    ...€400 daily spending limit AND a €400 transaction limit...[/B]

Are you sure? What is your source? Is the BOI MasterCard the same?

Advertisement