Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New M50 Toll Bridge

• 09-09-2003 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

I go back and forth on this everyday and i have to say that it is working alright so far. I mean the traffic now goes through much faster then it use to (or is that my imagination).

Also, I use the EasyPass system and they've opened a dedicated lane going south bound which is great that is unless some fool without one gets in your lane. Then its beep beep beep!

All in all a thumbs up from me.

whatchatink?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

been through it a few times,
    I will nervousily say it is an improvement,
    they really need to extend a third and forth lane on both side back much futher so people have a much longer time to get in and out of lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do I take it that both bridges are now open?

they have been for some weeks.

Ah, I knew they had moved traffic to the new bridge, but I got the impression the were doing repairs / maintenance on the existing bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Victor
    Ah, I knew they had moved traffic to the new bridge, but I got the impression the were doing repairs / maintenance on the existing bridge.

No, both lanes are open now. And the works look pretty much complete.
    Victor, so you mean that you haven't been over the 'troll' bridge in quite a while? Gawd, how do you live?
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So has the 30 year lease been extended - or is the new bridge only going to be tolled from the time of the original contract.

PS. that plan of tolling all enterances to the motor way

Originally posted by PH01
    Victor, so you mean that you haven't been over the 'troll' bridge in quite a while? Gawd, how do you live?
    i live in the city. I think I've only ever used the bridge 3-4 times, once as a pedestrian (the day before it opened).
    Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    So has the 30 year lease been extended - or is the new bridge only going to be tolled from the time of the original contract. PS. that plan of tolling all enterances to the motor way
    The terms of the new contract are confidential. There has been no suggestion of tolling anywhere else on the M50 other than the Port Access Tunnel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,087 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

the new contract is set up so that both bridges revert to public ownership on the same date

its not anytime soon though...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But is that date 30 years from the first bridge being opened or from the second.

ie. even though the first bridge has been paid for , have National Toll Roads been given an extension on thier license to print money.

Also has anyone complained about the euro round up of the price ??
    It should only be €1.20 not €1.30 for cars...

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    ie. even though the first bridge has been paid for , have National Toll Roads been given an extension on thier license to print money.
    Not quite - the government and local authorities are getting healthy chunks of the money, which is going to support other services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I have this great plan....

Say, i lived in templeogue okay, and I wanted to go to the airport or Swords okay... I would have to pay to use the tollbridge, well since the M50 would be the quickest and most logical way to go, right.

Anyway... it plain simple that i would want to come home at some stage, back across the M50 via the Tollbridge, right...

So...why dont they just charge double what it costs for whatever vehicel going from North to South okay... and make it free for South to North, this eliminating the "bumper to bumper" traffic that goes all the way to the "Mad Cow".....

Just a though.... any elaboration

Originally posted by neuromancer
    Say, i lived in templeogue okay, and I wanted to go to the airport or Swords okay... I would have to pay to use the tollbridge, well since the M50 would be the quickest and most logical way to go, right.
    Why not get the 16A bus from Terenure? It would be much cheaper (€3 or less return) and probably quicker (much of the distance is in QBCs). **And** you get to read the paper on the way.
    So...why dont they just charge double what it costs for whatever vehicel going from North to South okay... and make it free for South to North, this eliminating the "bumper to bumper" traffic that goes all the way to the "Mad Cow".....
    Because certain people would start abusing it by driving through the minor roads around Lucan / Leixlip and Chaplizod on the tolled direction.

I whole heartedly agree and this has nothing to do with the fact that I usually only use the Toll bridge to go to the Airport or when going to DNS after work, or the fact that I live in Lucan :)

I have this great plan....

Anyway... it plain simple that i would want to come home at some stage, back across the M50 via the Tollbridge, right...

Just a though.... any elaboration

Pay one way and free the other? They do that alright on the Sydney harbour bridge alright. But this only really works where there isn't an alternative route close by. Around the WestLink it's different where you could use Chapelizord or Leixlip.

Another solution to this could be if they make more EaziPass lanes available. I have one and it's F###### GREAT!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 cravian

They do that on the second Severn crossing on the M4 in Wales too - only charge in one direction - mind you it's a *long* way round.

Seriously though it has to be the worse decision ever to put a toll bridge there - why didn't the government just pay for the damn bridge in the first place out of it's own pocket? They're supposed to be 'public servants' aren't they.

9 times out of 10 that bridge is the source of congestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

One reason is that this country was fairly bankrupt when the original bridge was planned, middle-late 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

1. If the Tollbridge is a problem, remove it. It's only obvious that this is a cause of conjestion and not a solution to conjestion.

The solution would be for the "government" to buy the bridge and remove the Tolling Station on it, thus providing a constant flow of traffic up and down the motorway.

The "governments solution" is to keep this silly bridge as a Toll bridge, allowing the government to make money from us poor motorists. Another bridge has been added, but it doesn't seem to speed up traffic flow, at all.

For gods sake, what kind of circus are these clowns running. I could do a better job.

2. Who's great idea was it to put the new Luas(ha) line onto the "MadCow Roundabout"? Like seriously, if things aren't bad enough there as it is. I bet the people who desided to put it there don't have to worry about driving down the Naas road.

Is should have it's own flyover, over the city, so it wouldn't effect traffic on the roads. Simple.

Originally posted by DMC
    One reason is that this country was fairly bankrupt when the original bridge was planned, middle-late 1980's.

True, but these days it seems like the government has more than enough money.

Originally posted by cravian

9 times out of 10 that bridge is the source of congestion.

Yeah, and the other 1 time conjestion is coming from the "Mad Cow"...

• Advertisement

The "governments solution" is to keep this silly bridge as a Toll bridge, allowing the government to make money from us poor motorists. Another bridge has been added, but it doesn't seem to speed up traffic flow, at all.

Provided that the 'National Toll Road's wanted to sell the bridge (unlikely) or that you could compel them to sell the bridge (unlikely) and that you could afford to buy it (given the amount of money the bridge makes and the state of public fincances also unlikely).

Not quite - the government and local authorities are getting healthy chunks of the money, which is going to support other services.

The only service that it should support is the reduction in traffic conjestion on the M50, and the increase in traffic flow on the M50.

As far as I can recall
    The toll bridge cost £30m of private money. .

Needless to say it would have been useless without the £300m of public money for the roads leading up to it.
    a ) So for an extra 10% the govt could have kept all the tolls.
    b ) the govt never enforced the 70m rule (max allowed queue before traffic should go toll free)
    c ) there was no buyout clause - it's a 30 m mortgague paid over 30 years - like any homeowner the govt should be able to pay the balance and take possesion
    d ) NTR are using incorrect euro rounding to over charge by 10c - no wonder the Sweden voted NO
    e ) NTR also tried to put toll booths at the Lucan road junction and had to remove the foundations ...
    f ) How many times have NTR opened the toll booths volantarily to relieve traffc ?????

It's a bit like that bypass (kinnegad?) where a slightly larger spend would have got a section of motorway rather than a 40mph road with one lane in each direction (note: it is planned to upgrade it to a motorway later on anyway) - False economies do not save money..

I would like to hear the govt's offical justification for tolling ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭jerk

im buying a car this week and will be doing north south trip every day, whats the deal with the easipass?
    how much do you save?

Originally posted by jerk
    im buying a car this week and will be doing north south trip every day, whats the deal with the easipass?
    how much do you save?

Well, what you will save, you will end up paying on fuel sittingin your car waiting for the traffic to move. Don't get your hopes up just yet.:(

1. If the Tollbridge is a problem, remove it. It's only obvious that this is a cause of conjestion and not a solution to conjestion.
    the problem with removing the toll is (a) you loose revenue (b) more people use the road more often, creating just as much congestion.
    Is should have it's own flyover, over the city, so it wouldn't effect traffic on the roads. Simple.
    Indeed, I've suggested it for years.

Indeed, I've suggested it for years.

:)

It's been a couple of weeks since the schools are back and the only hold ups I've seen on the M50 are those around the Blanch and MadCow interchanges. While there are very few hold-ups at the toll bridge, apart from those dickheadz I meet in the EasyPass lanes who don't have passes! "Get outta da way ya idiot"!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by MDR
    I would like to hear the govt's offical justification for tolling ...
    To discourage convenience journies that lead to congestion - see M25 in London.

Advertisement