Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT emissions question

Options
  • 09-09-2003 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 1992 car going in for an NCT on thursday and am wondering what the story is with catalytic convertors on older cars. My car currently does not have one. Im of the understanding that older cars can do a non-cat emissions test. Is this true? And what classifies as older--ie pre 94, pre 93 pre 92???

Also is this stated anywhere in writing??

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

according to nct.ie

12. How are emission standards applied to old cars?
    The emission standards applied depend on the year of registration of the vehicle tested. Modern emission standards will not be applied to older vehicles.

but it doesn't state what is classified as a older car, nor does it give that info on Oasis.ie. Better ring em up.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Ah cheers!! :)

Will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I think the general rule of tumb is if it came with one you need it in there for the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Well emmissions are my only real worry. I think everything else is in pretty good shape as I like to think I take good care of the car itself.

Im going to throw it in anyway and see what happens. If it fails at least Ill know what needs to be done. I never see much poin in those pre-nct tests. Too many people I know have done them and still failed the nct!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

My car just passed the nct with flying colours yesterday.

I have a 94 Seat Ibiza 1.9D

I too was worried about emmissions but I brought mine to a pre NCT test centre and they did an emmissions test and they said the car should pass but just to be sure they detuned the engine just a tad.

Cost €35 and I thought it was worth it to make sure the car would pass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

Pre-94 cars are only tested at idle, which is very simple to pass. I can't remember when cats became law, but if you car never had a cat you'll be fine. Pre-94 it's difficult to fail on emissions.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

IIRC cats became cumpulsory in 1992 so if your car is a 91 or older then you should be OK. (did a quick search on www.oasis.gov.ie for catalytic converter and believe it or not received info on planning permission, relationship breakdowns & Composting domestic waste :confused: )

Anyway, Discovering, if i were you I would be slightly miffed at the garage that de-tuned your car. De-tuning an engine will do what it says on the tin and will increase the likleyhood of a fail!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

I am not sure what they actually did kbannon but the car passed the test and did particularly well on the emissions part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I am not sure what they actually did kbannon but the car passed the test and did particularly well on the emissions part.

Good. For future reference, the date when cats became mandatory on new cars is 1/1/93. This was due to an EU directive on car emissions. AFAIK, the stricter emission standards apply to these cars and a car with a badly damaged/missing cat will not pass the emissions test. The standards for pre 93 cars are far less stringent and a cat is not necessary to pass the test however many pre 93 cars do have cats which were fitted by certain manufacturers (volvo, saab, etc.) before they became mandatory.

BrianD3

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭pedro ferio-vti

alright conor, hows things? Yeh as brian said any car built from 93 onwards has to take the cat emmissions test but the likes of our 11 yr old scrap heaps can breeze through without a cat killing all manner of wildlife in our paths..........*evil laugh* MUAHAHAHAH

Peter

• Advertisement
Advertisement