Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by loismustdie
    all i wanted you to do was admit you were wrong, not change your opinion. your decency as a person sh make you change it

-next post-

i'm askin you to change your opinions? this is a message board - convertions not too much unlike debates accur here where members give their opinions. as is human nature everyone generally agrees with their own opinion and would welcome others of the same opinion. however, as long as no1's opinion is unfair to anyone else conversations can be informative and beneficial, don't you think. you can keep your opinion

Gah?
    The 90% statistics came from my every day life experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 KK

I actually think that the point made by Sangre, that it is mostly teenagers or gangs of teenage "skangers" that people are inclined to avoid, is very valid. I know that I myself would go out of my way not to sit near a group of loud tracksuit-wearing kids on the bus, whereas I would have no problem sitting near their mother or older brother or sister. It's their immaturity, coupled with their ignorance and complete lack of manners that causes offence. Oh, and the likelihood that you'll be smacked hard if you're in their vicinity.
    KK

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

you all think you're better than skangers so two wrongs don't make a right.

You're correct when you say that two wrong don't make a right, however there are varying degree's of wrong. It's not as 'wrong', for example, to think that scangers are dangerous scumbags, as it is for someone to assault someone else just for the fun of it, and the two are just not comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's probably higher than 90%. Besides, it's too late to burn down Dublin now, the rest of the country is already infected (Cork and Limerick anyway). It wouldn't be so bad, only for the unfortunate bit about them breeding at a far higher rate than most people. (that said it's not all about where you arise from, I've seen some right scum come out of the nicest families).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Morgans

Not all skangers are from dublin. Im sure every city and large town in Ireland has a similar problem. Its just handy that they have a uniform in Dublin.

I am better than those skangers Ive encountered and I'd bet that I'm a better person than teh majority of those who dress like that. I dont try to trip my girlfriend up going into Argos to look hard in front of my friends. I dont talk to anyone who would do that. I dont threaten to hang my younger brother ( a good while back ) for no good reason. I dont know anyone who would tolerate that. There were five of them.

I dont smoke on buses, I dont litter, I think of other people other than myself. I am better. I am not blaming skangers, its the way they were (or werent) brought up. That is the issue to eb solved, not defending their right to upset socially civilised people minding their own business.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by bloggs
    if you don't want people wit disagreeing with you don't start a thread. m argument with you is that your opening post more or less asked if peopl liked skangers, you can hardly say that's fair. i accept that these "type" of people do seem to cause trouble but it's still not right to stereotype. goths an other "groups" can be just as intimidating and the more posh people like businessmen and just men and women ya see on the street are more often rude than skangers in my experience. yes people will treat them like scumbags and i can see why in a lot of cases, i just want you all to see that it's not right and though you believe you are a better breed the way you are actin in this thread makes you worse. in my experience with most people (skangers included) if you are decent with them they will be decent with you. having said all this there are no black and white rules for anything, there will always be bad experiences with everyone. and these "skangers" have been around long before christina aguilaera (i can't spell it either) now i've accepted your points and made my arguments, this should be a lot more civilised a thread than some people are making it and you should be able to at least understand where i'm coming from also

I

Originally posted by Sangre
    Gah?
    The 90% statistics came from my every day life experiences.

gah??????????????????????

90% of your day is bad experiences with skangers?
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    (that said it's not all about where you arise from, I've seen some right scum come out of the nicest families).

exactly, there are scum bags everywhere. what about scumbag families who have nice kids but they might dress in skanger fashion - oh yeah, if they look like that you'll treat them like scumbags

Originally posted by super_furry
    You're correct when you say that two wrong don't make a right, however there are varying degree's of wrong. It's not as 'wrong', for example, to think that scangers are dangerous scumbags, as it is for someone to assault someone else just for the fun of it, and the two are just not comparable.

but it is wrong to treat people as if they have assaulted someone becasue they wear the same clothes as people who have in the past

Originally posted by Morgans
    Not all skangers are from dublin. Im sure every city and large town in Ireland has a similar problem. Its just handy that they have a uniform in Dublin.

I am better than those skangers Ive encountered and I'd bet that I'm a better person than teh majority of those who dress like that. I dont try to trip my girlfriend up going into Argos to look hard in front of my friends. I dont talk to anyone who would do that. I dont threaten to hang my younger brother ( a good while back ) for no good reason. I dont know anyone who would tolerate that. There were five of them.

I dont smoke on buses, I dont litter, I think of other people other than myself. I am better. I am not blaming skangers, its the way they were (or werent) brought up. That is the issue to eb solved, not defending their right to upset socially civilised people minding their own business.

you want a blue peter badge? :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

if you don't want people wit disagreeing with you don't start a thread. m argument with you is that your opening post more or less asked if peopl liked skangers, you can hardly say that's fair. i accept that these "type" of people do seem to cause trouble but it's still not right to stereotype. goths an other "groups" can be just as intimidating and the more posh people like businessmen and just men and women ya see on the street are more often rude than skangers in my experience. yes people will treat them like scumbags and i can see why in a lot of cases, i just want you all to see that it's not right and though you believe you are a better breed the way you are actin in this thread makes you worse. in my experience with most people (skangers included) if you are decent with them they will be decent with you. having said all this there are no black and white rules for anything, there will always be bad experiences with everyone. and these "skangers" have been around long before christina aguilaera (i can't spell it either) now i've accepted your points and made my arguments, this should be a lot more civilised a thread than some people are making it and you should be able to at least understand where i'm coming from also

I

I do understand where you are coming from, but everyone has to face the fact that anytime a car is stolen, anytime your house is broken into, anytime you are robbed on the street, anytime you are abused by someone with a can of dutch gold in their hand, 9/10 it's a skanger. The skangers are the ones who are the problem not the victims. If skangers don't like people having a bad opinion of them, then they need to clean up their act. Or the people who look like skangers need to dress in someother way so that people will know they aren't scumbags.

As somone said about the neo-nazis, if someone dresses up like one, they can only expect people to react in the same way as they would if they saw a real neo-nazi.

If you dress like a scumbag, which is 9/10 the same as a skanger dresses, you have to take the s**t that comes with the terrority.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

exactly, there are scum bags everywhere. what about scumbag families who have nice kids but they might dress in skanger fashion - oh yeah, if they look like that you'll treat them like scumbags

'nice kids' and 'dress in skanger fashion' are mutually exclusive

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

gah??????????????????????

90% of your day is bad experiences with skangers?
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????

Yours isn't?

On the contrary , that is the standard that I would expect from a person living in a civilised society. I'd guess you would want the same. If we all played the same game then it would be a nicer country to live in. All the known black spots all round the country would be sorted. Woudlnt everyone like that. If this were the situation, then people wouldnt care if there were a group of teenagers wearing tracksuits, soverign rings, and big hoop earings (not to mention the women).

Scangers feel that teh rules dont apply to them, and in many ways are owed something for having a ****ty life. Those people born into the poverty that they are, and pull themselves out of it, and behave normally in civilised society, are a credit to themselves and their parents. It must be tough.

At the moment, I only walk down O'Connell street on a needs basis. I'm not frightened of any scanger, it simply depresses me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

this rule also applies to geeks etc, society sees it as unacceptable which it is. any discrimination is discrimination

discrimination is simply acknowledging the difference beween two things; you discriminate between tea and coffee, or Harp and Carlsberg. It's not wrong; it just demonstrates you're not so witless you can't tell one thing from another. Failing to discriminate is a failure to participate in reality. And yes, I can tell the difference between a geek and a skanger, and by such discrimination I know which I'd rather have sitting beside me on a bus. It helps me discriminate that each one presents themself in a particular way, and therein is the rub; choose to appear a certain way and you will be judged by that appearance.

yeah, they should expect to take the **** because there are so many narrow minded snobs around. in my experience, even though everyone postin nearly does seem to have different stories, if you mind your own business nobody will bother you. even though people do treat others according to their clothes and accent and this isn't going to change, that's no reason for you to confirm to it. also, older people and business people are generally snobby to a lot of people, they give people more hassle that skangers as far as i can see (i know this too is stereotyping but i do it deliberatley to make this point). what did you hope to achieve by starting this thread, honestly? it seems to me that it was just goin to be people slagging skangers for the way they dress

If you dress like a scumbag, which is 9/10 the same as a skanger dresses, you have to take the s**t that comes with the terrority.
    Agree completely, If someone put on a white hood in harlem, tehy must know what reaction it might get. Even if there were badder bastard walking about in suits.

Originally posted by Absolam
    discrimination is simply acknowledging the difference beween two things; you discriminate between tea and coffee, or Harp and Carlsberg. It's not wrong; it just demonstrates you're not so witless you can't tell one thing from another. Failing to discriminate is a failure to participate in reality. And yes, I can tell the difference between a geek and a skanger, and by such discrimination I know which I'd rather have sitting beside me on a bus. It helps me discriminate that each one presents themself in a particular way, and therein is the rub; choose to appear a certain way and you will be judged by that appearance.

the word you are thinking of is distinguish, discrimination is wrong - it is when you treat 1 thing differently because of what it is. i didnt go to dictionary.com for that one so feel free to check it up

well said absalom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Originally posted by Morgans
    On the contrary , that is the standard that I would expect from a person living in a civilised society. I'd guess you would want the same. If we all played the same game then it would be a nicer country to live in. All the known black spots all round the country would be sorted. Woudlnt everyone like that. If this were the situation, then people wouldnt care if there were a group of teenagers wearing tracksuits, soverign rings, and big hoop earings (not to mention the women).

Scangers feel that teh rules dont apply to them, and in many ways are owed something for having a ****ty life. Those people born into the poverty that they are, and pull themselves out of it, and behave normally in civilised society, are a credit to themselves and their parents. It must be tough.

At the moment, I only walk down O'Connell street on a needs basis. I'm not frightened of any scanger, it simply depresses me.

I understand that some have had a tough life, and there are many social problems. But there are people who live in rough areas who don't dress like skangers and work their way up from a crappy job to a good one.

Do people who dress like skangers know that if you want to get a job you need to present yourslef in a decent manner, that you need to avoid stealing cars and hanging around drinking cider in teh local football field.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

the word you are thinking of is distinguish, discrimination is wrong - it is when you treat 1 thing differently because of what it is. i didnt go to dictionary.com for that one so feel free to check it up

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=discriminate

this is ridiculous, you act like 90year old men and women set in their ways. there isn't anything symbolic or political about wearing these tracksuits and and the likes, it's not the same as saying you are a scumbag

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Interesting thread. And you can add myself to the growing number of people who are actively wary of those with the skanger look. Why? Based, like others here, on experience.

Who's the only group of people to give me hassle - for no reason? Skangers.
    When my mobile was ripped out of my hand I was walking down the street, what sort of person had takein it? Skanger.
    When friends of mine were beaten up for the way they acted and looked, what people did it? Skangers.

People know how, in general, skangers are far more likely to be perpetrating all the small crimes than their non-scanger contemporaries. People know what they look like. People want to avoid trouble so it's now an inbuilt survival instinct to think, "Possible danger ahead! Avoid!" and skirt around them. Noone here is saying that ALL skangers are bad. What people are saying is that, going by everyday life, skangers are more likely to cause trouble than someone well suited. This is my experience in life in Dublin and, so it seems, everyone elses. How to redess the problem is something else, but admitting the problem of the skanger culture is the first step for everyone to take.

discrimination isn't wrong, racial or sexual or etc discrimination is wrong, I discriminated between the 4 and 12 bus this mornin, that's not wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Discrimnate:
    1. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available.
    2. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely.

from dictionary.com :)

I'm not saying discrimination is neccasrily wise, simply a mundane fact of life. We can all be what we want; we must also accept the consequences of our choices. If you choose to dress like a skanger, you choose to be discrimanated against. If you choose to behave like a skanger, you choose to be ostracised from civilised society.

I understand that some have had a tough life, and there are many social problems. But there are people who live in rough areas who don't dress like skangers and work their way up from a crappy job to a good one.

Do people who dress like skangers know that if you want to get a job you need to present yourslef in a decent manner, that you need to avoid stealing cars and hanging around drinking cider in teh local football field.

their jobs is their own business. of course it can be argued that they are living off tax collectores but the government is even doin that and other normal people more that skangers. also it's been said a few times in the thread that it's teenage skangers that the problems with, in which case i also want to say that teenagers are really either spoilt brats or skangers, a medium doesn't really exist becasue they go through phases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Unless the 4 was full of skangers, which makes you a racist. *exsaberated.....kidding*

I really feel for LMD at this stage, it seems everyone is against you. We have just had s***ty experiances with skangers, we will avoid them. But even avoiding them and minding your bees wax does stop them coming to harrase us. At this stage selective reproduction and sterilisation are only few posts away.

defending their rights to behave like there are no rules is only providing them with further excuses to behave anti-socially. Third time now Ive said that. The problem is why they want to be part of a identity that has negative connotations in the first place.

older people and business people are generally snobby to a lot of people, they give people more hassle that skangers as far as i can

uh yea, when's the last time someone you know got their heads kicked in by old snobby business folk

• Advertisement

That's because LMD is wrong

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement