Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies

this is the definition also given my dictionary.com, i got it on the link provided by that helpful poster (thank you, can't remember your name sry) dictionary gave a good few definitions an the above is what i mean by discrimination

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by loismustdie
    , if you mind your own business nobody will bother you.

What fúcking planet do you live on?
    No seriously, have you ever stepped outside your doors?

My only conclusion from this arguement is that you dress like a skanger and so they live you alone, hence, that is why you defend this fashion.

Anyway, I reiterate my point, you are a muppa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

louis are you from dublin ?

have you ever been to finglas or the square in tallaght on a saterday ?

have you ever had to travel on a 56A to killinarden or fetherkern (spelling) ?

have you ever been to Dr Quirkies ?

Skangers...in general...are not nice. we can generalise them cause we have experiance dealing with them . I know plenty of people from those areas that are not skangers...so its not like they can blame their up bringing too much or their enviroment.

and I know a few that would fit into the phyiscal apperance of skanger but are actually nice people..but only a few.

In my general experiance skangers are nasty people.

i don't dress like a skanger but the truth is i've never had any trouble from skangers and i can't see why you all have. i don't dress like a skanger, i don't know how you all dress becasue you seem to not be able to walk down the street withough getting into fights

i've spent loads of saturday nights in finglas and tallaght and the place i live is full of skangers. i've seen them doing a lot of stuff like you describe but they've done it to other skangers or people who are not innocently minding their own business as you say you all were

• Advertisement

It must be because you are so sexy then

Originally posted by Sangre
    What fúcking planet do you live on?
    No seriously, have you ever stepped outside your doors?

My only conclusion from this arguement is that you dress like a skanger and so they live you alone, hence, that is why you defend this fashion.

Anyway, I reiterate my point, you are a muppa.

a muppa because you disagree with me? what planet are you living on if you can't walk outside your door without bein picked on. and if i did dress like a skanger, as is your conclusion, i have never acted like a skanger , this proves my point that it is unfair to call people scumbags based only on their appearence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

i've spent loads of saturday nights in finglas and tallaght and the place i live is full of skangers. i've seen them doing a lot of stuff like you describe but they've done it to other skangers or people who are not innocently minding their own business as you say you all were

If they remain fighting with each other it probably isn't too bad, but when they go around littering, breaking bus shelters and smoking on the bus, joyriding, it's a bit hard to ignore.

It must be because you are so sexy then

that's a good arguments, well founded and all - can you not think of any defence of your statements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Morgans

I can remember a friend of mine getting her hair set on fire on a 77 bus. She was from Tallght and really was minding her own business. Trust me LoisMustDie it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

i don't dress like a skanger but the truth is i've never had any trouble from skangers and i can't see why you all have. i don't dress like a skanger, i don't know how you all dress becasue you seem to not be able to walk down the street withough getting into fights

We've probably had trouble from skangers for exisiting in their near vicinity. As far as I can see they need fcuk all reason to pick on someone - generally just them to be a little different or to acknowledge them in the wrong way (too little or too much :"What da fook you lookin' at").

And we don't have fights as we walk down the street. We're summarising years of experiences with them - maybe months apart. The point being a generally overwhelming negative consensus but it's not that we're daily having run-ins. And the only non-negative ones I've had, just to try and be balanced, were just the run-of-the-mill general population ones you get ("howerya bud" types). I've get to see one do a nice act like keep the door open for someone coming in behind them (presumably, if they did, it'd be more to smash the person's face into it).

Originally posted by bloggs
    If they remain fighting with each other it probably isn't too bad, but when they go around littering, breaking bus shelters and smoking on the bus it's a bit hard to ignore.

litteing, vandalising and smokin on buses is done by a lot more than people wearing caps etc and a lot of people wearing caps etc don't do it - that is my argument

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Morgans

If they remain fighting with each other it probably isn't too bad, but when they go around littering, breaking bus shelters and smoking on the bus it's a bit hard to ignore.

I'm sure it's the gangs in suits from Blackrock who delight in breaking telephone boxes, bus shelters etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

i have never acted like a skanger

Surely you are saying that even you identify a certain behaviour with skangers.
    To be honest you just sound niave. To stay out of hassle any Saturday night in any
    city you avoid people who look like trouble, for most people that means skangers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

how about if we just make tracksuits an illegal item of clothing, surely that would help matters

Originally posted by ixoy
    We've probably had trouble from skangers for exisiting in their near vicinity. As far as I can see they need fcuk all reason to pick on someone - generally just them to be a little different or to acknowledge them in the wrong way (too little or too much :"What da fook you lookin' at").

And we don't have fights as we walk down the street. We're summarising years of experiences with them - maybe months apart. The point being a generally overwhelming negative consensus but it's not that we're daily having run-ins. And the only non-negative ones I've had, just to try and be balanced, were just the run-of-the-mill general population ones you get ("howerya bud" types). I've get to see one do a nice act like keep the door open for someone coming in behind them (presumably, if they did, it'd be more to smash the person's face into it).

i've been luckier than the rest of you the. someone said the experience 90% of this skangerness everday, that's who i was directing that post at

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Originally posted by Mordeth
    how about if we just make tracksuits an illegal item of clothing, surely that would help matters

Its not the tracksuits, its the behaviour that most people dressed like this exibit.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

[RANT]
    Agreed. Lets kill all the skangers fer their dress sense. And while killing them, we'll kill all those foreigners who dress diferently. And sure, lets burn down...
    [/RANT]

Seriously, if they want to dress differently, let them. I like to dress as a goth sometimes, and as a terrorist most of the time, but, so wot?
    The "skanger" style seems to go with a certain age group, etc, and once they reach a certain age, some grow out of it.
    I'm sure, if you looked in yer own region, you'd see that the younger generation wear clothes that are different from yer clothes sense, that they grow out of when they reach a different age.

As fer the trouble-making skangers, please note; they have nothing better to do.

I'm not a skanger.
    I don't wear stipes, tracksuits, etc.
    But there's not alot you can do in my small town.
    So I went knacker-drinking.
    Got chased by the security dude in the local building site (don't knock it untill you've tried it).
    Built tree-houses, and other huts to stash stuff in.
    See how far you could get into the building site, without beng detected by the garda, the security, and the locals.
    Drinking in the houses while they were being built.
    Lighting fires in the fields, fer the laff (and yes, I always had the ability to put them out; muck/water/etc).

True, I didn't haress other people, and I'm not condoning wot they do, but wot else can skangers do?
    Stamp collect?

As someone said it's like a uniform, if you dress in tracksuit, sovereigns, gold chain etc. the majority of people will asume you are a scumbag. While if you wear a suit/normal clothes people may not even notice you.

I asume it's the rotten apples that are spoiling it all for the decent people. So why would you automatically want people to pre-judge you as a scumbag if you had a choice in the matter? It's not like the clothes are attached to you skin and you have no choice. People can pick up some decent clothes in Pennys or somewhere, and can pass themselves off as a non-scumbag. Put perhaps it's as someone said peer pressure, adn if you don't conform you will be excluded from 'da gang'.

Just to clear it up, because I was trying to confuse LMD earlier.
    my original 90% statement was in regards to, 90% of young skangers and skumbags.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by padraigmyers
    Surely you are saying that even you identify a certain behaviour with skangers.
    To be honest you just sound niave. To stay out of hassle any Saturday night in any
    city you avoid people who look like trouble, for most people that means skangers.

i don't use the word skanger, i hate it - i'm using it throughout this thread to simplify matters ya know?

Just to clear it up, because I was trying to confuse LMD earlier.
    my original 90% statement was in regards to, 90% of young skangers and skumbags.

It worked!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

that's going too far, they have their use, for sports people training, hence the name 'track' suit, whoever was the first person to walk around the street in one of these deserves a firm slap. Skangers wear tracksuits cause there's no buttons on them, they're just a big babygrow,

if I go outside today in my black combats, leather trench, iced earth tshirt and boots... and you assume that I am a devil worshipping bunny killer should I change my clothes just to suit your idiocy?

Sure when you make something illegal you just drive it underground ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

This thread is hilarious, in a sad sort of way.

People are so judgemental, it scares me sometimes :(

if I go outside today in my black combats, leather trench, iced earth tshirt and boots... and you assume that I am a devil worshipping bunny killer should I change my clothes just to suit your idiocy?

Well aslong as you don't set the devil on me or kill my bunnies go right ahead.

if you went outside today it would be a miricle, you've been up since 8am!!!

wha, they'll start wearing tracksuit bottoms under their armani suits and wear shoes 4 sizes too big so they can fit their nike trainers in there too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

loismustdie.... I think you should visit a doctor to check if you're insane. I can't believe this thread has gone on this long! It's amazing. Every single poster has posted they hate skangers and you've argued against almost every one.

I haven't been hassled (majorly) by a skang in a long time... probably due to my attitude, but in the past I have been. I know a skanger and will avoid one when I see it. EVERYONE knows what a skang looks like, it's part of growing up in Ireland.

I found in places like London, and New York it's more difficult to tell who's a skang and who's not. There's people that dress like our local skangers but they're perfectly decent people in other places than Ireland. There are a few people in Ireland that dress like this and are alright. In fact I know a few... but you'll be able to tell by the walk, the look in their eyes and their general demeanour whether they're a skanger.... as well as the can of dutch in hand.

It seems that you are in fact either majorly trolling or else a skanger lover. I'd say a bit of both, because no person in their right mind can have such heartfelt sympathies for the skang population.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement