Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Or you could take lessons from us down here in Limerick and let them pick each other off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by wombat
    Except that's not what was said, and it's not the first time you've twisted someone else's statement to take "I get jumped by skangers" and turn it into "Once I leave the house it looks like that scene in the matrix where neo fights the smiths in a playground, except I wear a jacket and smiths wear a tracksuit"

Most of the times I've been attacked or threatened was by a scanger, same with a lot of people here it seems. And this is no more snobbery than it is for anto to refer to me as a hippieeee because of the way I dress. Horses for courses as they say. It's not about dress or style, it's about being scared to pass a group of them on the street because there is a fair chance you'll be attacked for making eye contact (a former flatmate was pinned to a wall by one of them for looking for a second).
    i don't think it was you, a few people said 90% and i asked where the figure came from and one person gave the answer i stated above. anto is definitely wrong and in this case i've no sympathy for you or anto!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

Originally posted by bloggs
    Hmmm me think someone has too much time on their hands, as long as it keeps you off the streets :D

yeah if it wasn' for that mathematical problem you could end up in, god forbid, adidas an nike

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

the point in arguing is because ya believe somethin, i believe i'm right and i'm not ogin to change my mind - i'm goin to keep arguing until 5 o'c and then resume at 9 tomorrow failing a more interesting thread arising

Blindly saying "No, you're wrong" for 8 hours a day seems kind of stupid to me.

How about you give some logical reasoning a try instead? Most of the 'non-skangers' seem to manage.

I don't think the naysayers are ogin to change their minds either.

Regards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

most people are saying "most people I've ran into who wear those 3 stripe tracksuits and talk with a skanger accent are violent bastards who would stab you as soon as look at you" .. which doesn't strike me as a very good bloody argument iaf, it reeks of stormfront-esque idiocy.

granted there are a lot of rough ****ing ****s who dress like that, but there are also rough ****ing ****s who wear arsenal/liverpool/man U jerseys when they go out, who wear polo necks, who wear blue/black jeans, who wear every ****ing type of clothing imaginable.

i've ran into a few skangers alright and i've managed to avoid any serious trouble, but that doesn't mean I'm going to give in to the nice idea of tarring every (sigh) 'skanger-esque' person with the same brush.

idiots are idiots because they are idiots, their clothing, accent and nationality has no bearing on it..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think this thread went a bit off. Some people are arguing that skangers are scum (no arguments there). Loismustdie is interpreting it as we hate them because they wear tracksuits. We don't hate them because they wear tracksuits (mank as a tracksuit outside the gym is, but then again other non-fashionable clothes like goth gear only add variety), we hate them because they're scum and tracksuits just give us an early warning signal for us to stay clear of, so yes keep wearing the tracksuits you skangers, you sweet children of scum. (but not the soveirgn rings, we all know they're just there as weapons). It's annoying not being able to wear runners to a club (god help anyone who tries wearing a trackie there), but that's the price you pay for being able to recognise the scum to avoid on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

although backtracking a little after reading the post just before me. Dress codes don't really help much, as skangers are able to get well-dressed up when they want to, so once you're inside a pub on a friday or saturday night you're ****ed, you just have to avoid everyone you don't know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

<- Edited after thread was edited ->

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 charlene

oh my god, where can i start. Ok, this is my first post so i don't want to get on anybody's nerves but this is really getting to me.

I myself dress like a scanger well thats one way of putting it anyway. i'm a fan of metal music and at one stage of my life was a "ROCKER" as many scangers would class me. All of my present mates are scangers who where tracksuits such as Adidas, Reebok, Nike, LCS. aosics, and lacoste. The Girls also wear big hooped earings and soveirgn rings. This showing that i have experienced friendship with two very diffrent types of people.

If you look at the back round of all these people it will jump up and hit you in the face that "SCANGERS" usually come from area's such as Ballymun, Ballyfermot, inichicore, Darndale and so on if you look at these area's you will see that the kids growing up here are living around horrible run down area's with lots of drugs and so on. In conclusion they are expected to grow up roughly and be ignorant to others outside of the area. No it is not excepted that they treat people with different clothing styles badly and slag them off but it's thier way.

My friends are well aware of my difference's and they are alright with them they don't agree with the way i used to be but since meeting me have learned to except it more. Due to me knowing both groups they now pal around together alot.

I am also homeless and i go through a system called the out of hours which you are probably not aware of but because of my friends and my own situation we need to rob to support ourselves. I myself don't rob but my friends do. We have many times been branded by garda or just the everyday person walking down the road as the biggest scangers around dublin.

People have to realise no matter what clothes or hair style people have they are all different you cannot but them in catergories as it's prejudgement would you call a rocker walking down the road a scanger if he was throwing stones at buses or if he was given scangers stick.

Well I.ve just realised i'm going abit of the point but who ever started this thread I can see you where never excepted by the lads that hung around at the shops in your area and I know you probably didn't want to be but neither was I so there is no point in holding grudges if your friend like scangers it's up to herself.

Also it's not very likely that the skangers hanging around at the school, shops, corner of the road or the back lanes would start on people for no reason the best thing you can do to avoid this situation is hold your head high and ignore anything they say to you let them think they've got to you and they soon get bored .

I know i've been ****ing out of me for along time and making no sence so i'm just gonna go don't hate me for my stupidness:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

That really is a terrible situation and I am sorry for you, but can I ask how you are using a computer?

But the thing is you have proved our points. Your friends rob people and you don't. Therefore the vast majority of you rob, therefore, our claims to avoid 'skangers' are very well-founded.

Also someone ever robbed me, especially with phyiscal violence, they can go fúck themselves and I hope they are locked up for life. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever. I don't give a cráp if im a millionaire.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Your friends rob people and you don't. Therefore the vast majority of you rob,

erm..

no.. no see that isn't how it works.

see, just because *some* people do it

not *everybody* does it..

do you follow?

am I going slowly enough?

No...he siad his friends robbed.
    So therefore, it would be wise to avoid those who rob
    Get it?
    Or is being PC worth being beaten up and robbed?

ko riordan - you summarised pretty clearly my thoughts.
    Originally posted by charlene
    oh my god, where can i start. Ok, this is my first post so i don't want to get on anybody's nerves but this is really getting to me.

Also it's not very likely that the skangers hanging around at the school, shops, corner of the road or the back lanes would start on people for no reason the best thing you can do to avoid this situation is hold your head high and ignore anything they say to you let them think they've got to you and they soon get bored .

I know i've been ****ing out of me for along time and making no sence so i'm just gonna go don't hate me for my stupidness:(

Welcome to the fray :)

You say it's "not very likely that the skangers hanging around at the school, shops, corner of the road or the back lanes would start on people for no reason"

Now, to me, this screams bullsh!t in the loudest possible way.

But you're actually correct. They won't start on people for no reason.

Of course not.

They'll find great reasons like:
    • to impress their mates
    • cos they like your phone
    • cos they like your jacket
    • cos they like your shirt
    • cos they like your shoes
    • cos it's Tuesday
    • cos the Gardai don't give a damn
    • cos "What are you lookin' at?"

I don't know if the definition of "skanger" is that important - we all know who we're talking about, don't we?

Originally posted by k.oriordan

Some people are arguing that skangers are scum (no arguments there).

Loismustdie is interpreting it as we hate them because they wear tracksuits.

We don't hate them because they wear tracksuits, we hate them because they're scum

Worth singling out. Well said.

I'm not sure I'd use the word "hate" personally, "intensely dislike" would cover it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Question to those that have met me, am i a skanger? just i know several of them, and talk liek them, generally look like them, and grew up with them, so therefore i most be one, nice to know i'm scum lads, really made my freaken day. bunch of southside snobs

/me plays the violin for boston.

Originally posted by Boston
    Question to those that have met me, am i a skanger? just i know several of them, and talk liek them, generally look like them, and grew up with them, so therefore i most be one, nice to know i'm scum lads, really made my freaken day. bunch of southside snobs

I dunno Boston. Do you act like a skanger? That's the important thing. It's not about looks, it's about behaviour. Looks are just our "early-warning system".

I like the way you went from question to abusing people in the one post, nice touch.

Al.

No, but really...

Boston, I know your not a scumbag, and from boards I gather you're sound lad. But thats the thing, I had to find out this way. From your description of yourself, if I saw you with a grous of friends on a corner, especially if drinking (although im not sure you would do this) then yes, I would be vary weary. It really doesnt help that I could hardly take one person let alone two.

The bottome line is, past experiences have caused me to avoid scangers while in public, especially at night. It is not worth the hassle at all.

I don't know trojan, growing up where i grew up it has an effect. while dealing with these skangers you become a different person.

Yeah, it is a shame that you sometimes have to dress that way and sound like them to avoid undue hassle. Although of course some people like to dress that way.

**booogllllyyyyywwoooggglllyyy**

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sangre
    No, but really...

if I saw you with a grous of friends on a corner, especially if drinking (although im not sure you would do this) then yes, I would be vary weary. It really doesnt help that I could hardly take one person let alone two.

It would never happen. But i follow what your saying, its a sad fact that i have to deal with this type of situation. To get to my house i most past through an arch way where scumbags are drinking cider and stuff. Never worried me to much because i'm allways aware of my surroundings and basically have a rep i totally don't deserve (some of the things these muppets think ive done) , but my mother has to walk this same way from work and thats does scare me.

I don't know trojan, growing up where i grew up it has an effect. while dealing with these skangers you become a different person.

Sure, I understand that completely - everyone molds themselves to their current environment.

The choice you have is not to go beating the hell out of some dude for his 7110 or robbing some nurses scooter so she can't get to work and you can go flying around the park after removing license plates and unnecessary body panels.

Those are the skangers. You can tell us if you're one.

Originally posted by Trojan
    Sure, I understand that completely - everyone molds themselves to their current environment.

The choice you have is not to go beating the hell out of some dude for his 7110 or robbing some nurses scooter so she can't get to work and you can go flying around the park after removing license plates and unnecessary body panels.

I would never do those things, but i can honestly say in certai nsituation i would beat the living crap out of someone without a second thought. A scum bag once treatened to stab my mother and burn down my house, and i didn't really like what i turned into in responce to that, i was seriously on the edge of killing the guy only a friend interviened. That to me is scumbag behaviour in itself and while i'd never deliberately hurt any decent person this is the type of person you have to be, other wise your a target. I'll never forget when i was 9-10 seeing a man lieing at the bottom of my street with his head smashed open because he refused to give a pair of thiefs his wallet. From then on i was determined never to give scumbags the chance.

i can honestly say in certain situation i would beat the living crap out of someone without a second thought.

I'd say the same. As would just about every other person on the planet - everyone has a limit on what they'll tolerate.

You're describing behaviour which is disproportionate to the crime committed against you, and that is not right.

Originally posted by Trojan
    You're describing behaviour which is disproportionate to the crime committed against you, and that is not right.

Of course it isn't, but what do you do in a situation like that. Nothing really isn't an option, because that just invites these people to carry out siad threats in a timely fashion. call the police? don't think so. but that the thing, someone could say all they want about me, threaten me, slag me, i don't really care. threaten the family and its a different story. thats not Tv, or school or other people that thought me that, its life experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Originally posted by charlene

I myself dress like a scanger well thats one way of putting it anyway. i'm a fan of metal music and at one stage of my life was a "ROCKER" as many scangers would class me. All of my present mates are scangers who where tracksuits such as Adidas, Reebok, Nike, LCS. aosics, and lacoste. The Girls also wear big hooped earings and soveirgn rings. This showing that i have experienced friendship with two very diffrent types of people.

<truth be known, I think your a troll and and liar, but ill go on.>

Charlene, Firstly I would like to say sorry for your troubles. I have never been homeless but I can imagine what hell it must be.

However, you cannot justify your friends stealing and drug taking with their current enviroment. There are always choices ...always ! Are you on drugs ? Do you steal ? do you beat people up ? ...you claim not to, so why cant they do the same ?
    Also it's not very likely that the skangers hanging around at the school, shops, corner of the road or the back lanes would start on people for no reason
    BOLLOX ... its happened to me twice and many others I know
    In conclusion they are expected to grow up roughly and be ignorant to others outside of the area. No it is not excepted that they treat people with different clothing styles badly and slag them off but it's thier way.

Jebus woman, "its their way"... no its not. and they dont just "treat them badly and slag them off" ( thats what others do too skangers) Skangers, rob, beat, abuse and wreck everything they touch.

We have many times been branded by garda or just the everyday person walking down the road as the biggest scangers around dublin.

I would say thats about fair. You know why ? ....cause you are robbers....

Ever been robbed charlene ? Well I have, MY house, my car, my bike, my person. There is not one single person in ireland that has not been effected by robbery.
    I know i've been ****ing out of me for along time and making no sence so i'm just gonna go don't hate me for my stupidness
    Nobody will hate you for trying to have a discussion. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

I find wearing boots deters them, I might invest in some steel toes soon as you could defend pretty well with them.

I only read up to page 5, sorry if this has already been said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I dont like the word skanger its often a word used by middle class pysudo intellects to categorise people who are less well off than them."Anyone who wears football or GAA jerseys is a skanger" "Anyone who lives in tallaght ballyfermot or finglas is a skanger" one of my rocker mates has this other mate who is condesendant towards anyone whos different from him. i show up to meet a group of rockers whilst wearing an ireland jersey and i get looked upon as if i have ten heads or something.

How sad are some people these days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Think about you and your friends , think about when you or your friends have had trouble ..... EVERY incident I can think of involves "scumbags" - that says it all , we havnt given them a bad name they have given themselfs a bad name , anyone who dresses like that and "isnt" a scumbag is afraid to be themselfs or afraid of the scumbags themselfs ,

I refuse to believe any individual would dress like that :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Am I Sad?

Here's one for the bleeding heart PC brigade.......

If and when I get called for jury duty, I'll canvas my fellow jurors for a guilty verdict if the defendant talks, looks, acts, has a history of being a scumbag..........even if he's innocent. Pre-emptive guilty verdict as it were :D:D:D

Is this the fastest growing thread ever BTW??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement