Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skangers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Yeah!!! :eek:
    I read about that in the Rolling Stone they call it "chasing the bug"!

People are weird!.....and in this case I’d say delusional too!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

That's just fucked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Yeah... that's well nuts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by Mordeth
    actually i read in the irish indo yesterday that alot of gay men are apparently trying to catch aids so that they can feel part of a 'group'.

isn't that sweet

the fcuk? Was it on the Web and if so, can you link it? I find it hard to believe. Any gay person I know (and being gay, I know a far few!) would call BS on that. "A lot" would, at best, equate to 1 or 2. I really need to see that story to see what you're saying because it sounds like a load of crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

nope, was on the back page of yesterdays indo.

i'm not sure just how accurate it is ***, but i wouldn't rule it out. people are very very stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 MrHappy

Originally posted by Absolam
    Yes; dress how you please but accept that as a consequence people will judge you on how you dress; that's just life. If you look like trouble then people will treat you like trouble.

Ill agree with that! One of my best mates, looked like a Mean Fcuker! In reality he couldnt punch his way out of a paper bag. (He's a big fella, always had a bit of stuble, and his hair cuts made him look....Ea Em... mean!)

What am I getting at?: He was refused into clubs(Nearly all), pubs (has happened in the past). And if people saw him they keep out of his way. This is because he looked rough, but people have to go on what they see, otherwise you'd have to know every person "personally" before making any decision about them. He wondered why he wasnt getting into clubs etc... and after a while I told him in a subtle way, and he's tried to clean the image up, and he doesnt get as much hastle any more.

Trackies they are seen as people whom cause trouble also..... I had trouble in a pub one night with another mate, whom with, a group of trackies. 8 of them. They started pushing etc.. in the pub for no reason, eventually I left, and on the way home 8 of them jumped me, and I got a few kicks etc... but I got 2 of them, had them charged :-D. They went on like nackers that night, again in the court room, and eventually when I got out of the court room, the guards said to me, "you'd have been better off getting a few lads and kicking the SH1T out of them"...

Also..

I have a family of trackies that live about 2 blocks away from my house, there's always trouble with them, police involvement, and hasstle with their neighbours. They ARE a pack of nackers. If you walk down O'Connell St whom do you see causing most hastle? Trackies! Who do you see nacker drinking on the streets Trackies.

Oh and just remembered, in town one night couple of years ago, making way home from pub, 4 trackies... "gimme your jacke", I managed to get my way out of that one, when 2 other mates of mine arrived.

I would think that the above constitutes a "trend"... tracksuit = nacker....

Im not saying that ALL trackies are nackers, but unfortunately you do have to go on what you see.

I havent seen too many "normally" dressed people going on like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Originally posted by ixoy
    the fcuk? Was it on the Web and if so, can you link it? I find it hard to believe. Any gay person I know (and being gay, I know a far few!) would call BS on that. "A lot" would, at best, equate to 1 or 2. I really need to see that story to see what you're saying because it sounds like a load of crap.

It's completely true unfortunately. Something to do with young gay men feeling outcast growing up and then when they enter the gay community they find that a lot more attention gets paid towards the hiv positive members (it's like in a dysfuncional family where a sibling has a handicap, and the healthy child gets left out of things because the parents feel it less deserving of attention).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

looks like a couple of gay people are making the whole community look bad, and the indo have taken it on board! what does this remind you of? the way a couple of scumbags give skangers a bad name??? stereotyping groups isn't nice is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Was it on the Web and if so, can you link it?

I linked to the Rolling Stone Article above but here it is again;
    click here:

It does seem nuts but these guys really seem to believe they're not doing themselves any harm!

actually i read in the irish indo yesterday that alot of gay men are apparently trying to catch aids so that they can feel part of a 'group'.

isn't that sweet

talk abouts an eventful day - up at 8, sorting out college and reading the indo!!! let me guess, there's a lack of dope in castledermot? (ya know i'm not judging you don't ya)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭bloggs

Also why do 90% of Skangers (who can read) read the likes of the Sun/Star? I have never seen a skanger reading something like the Irish Times or the FT. Hmmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Carlos is part of an intricate underground world that has sprouted, driven almost completely by the Internet, in which men who want to be infected with HIV get together with those who are willing to infect them. The men who want the virus are called "bug chasers," and the men who freely give the virus to them are called "gift givers." While the rest of the world fights the AIDS epidemic and most people fear HIV infection, this subculture celebrates the virus and eroticizes it. HIV-infected semen is treated like liquid gold. Carlos has been chasing the bug for more than a year in a topsy-turvy world in which every convention about HIV is turned upside down. The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

Originally posted by bloggs
    Also why do 90% of Skangers (who can read) read the likes of the Sun/Star? I have never seen a skanger reading something like the Irish Times or the FT. Hmmm :rolleyes:

this is the 5hit i was talkin about - now what the fvck has this got to do with some young lad with a can of dutch gold and a joint beating up some poor innocent person????????????????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

dont ditch the dutchy's, it's a nice bear just got a bad repataion, dont drink it any more since my tallaght scumbag days are over, awwww the memories

Nothing particularly wrong with a few cans of cheap beer inside a field imo, especially in these days of rip-off pup prices. Some bits of knacker culture are actually fun (don't mind what they do, once they don't give us hassle). It's being hassled by them that I hate. Some people can go a bit overboard with getting involved with other groups business. Like the thing of trying to ban kids from skateboarding. In that case I would tell people to get a life and let the kids skateboard.

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    It's completely true unfortunately. Something to do with young gay men feeling outcast growing up and then when they enter the gay community they find that a lot more attention gets paid towards the hiv positive members (it's like in a dysfuncional family where a sibling has a handicap, and the healthy child gets left out of things because the parents feel it less deserving of attention).

Ah it's not relating to Ireland then, a foreign trend. That might explain why I've never one come across anything like that, or heard of it. I've yet to meet any gay Irish man who's fcuked up in that way about gay issues, thankfully.

For Page 3?

Seriously though, suit guys would also read the Sun/Star so we'll try and not judge them on their reading material which harms noone (unlike the bottle they may thrust in your face)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by Trojan

That whole excerpt that Trojan pasted in from Rolling Stone is without doubt the sickest thing I've ever read. Jesus, those people have some serious problems!!! Whilst I am not exactly an advocate of the gay lifestyle, these psychos are a threat to the entire gay community, not to mention everyone else.
    What the Fcuk is the world coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    no seriously, anybody who wears white three stripe tracksuits deserves all the abuse they get, there is simply no excuse for it :confused:

That is just way out of line...you have no proof at all that people that wear said tracksuits deserve abuse. Your post is just dumb.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bananayoghurt
    but thats the thing they ALL wear three strip trackies :eek:

That's pure bollocks, they don't.

do you wear any brand names? nike, adidas.. erm.. heh, they're the only two I know :p

but unless you wear 100% totally original items of clothing, hand crafted for your personal use.. then shut up and stop making a fool of yourself

Now this man is talking sence...:D

Originally posted by neuromancer
    That's pure bollocks, they don't.

But they're more likely to wear tracksuits. Which is why it's associated with them and why people avoid them. How many scumbags (acting in the "howerya bud" / dutchie can in hand) have you seen wearing suits/shirts?
    But you're certainly right on the fact that noone should automatically be abused just for wearing a tracksuit. You just gotta understand why people are wary of them.

I was talking the other day to a girl who said she loves skangers (soverign rings, tracksuit, calls people "muppas", shortens name to add an 'o' at the end e.g. Anthony = Anto) ;). You know what i mean.

I think she is mad, but they say each to their own.

My question is, are you a skanger, are you proud to dress like the above, do you think your are cool or a hard man/woman?

I think it looks cheap and tacky :D

This is meant to be light hearted, but if the Mods think this will turn in to a flamefest, then feel free to close.

But they're more likely to wear tracksuits. Which is why it's associated with them and why people avoid them. How many scumbags (acting in the "howerya bud" / dutchie can in hand) have you seen wearing suits/shirts?
    But you're certainly right on the fact that noone should automatically be abused just for wearing a tracksuit. You just gotta understand why people are wary of them.

the opening post is slagging "skangers" because of how they look and as the thread progresses people have admitted that it's unfair to judge but tht most skangers are scumbags and have shared stories about scumbags being scumbags which is fair enough. the threadstarter doesn't give any valid reason to dislike them other than the way they dress, he doesn't even suggest that their scumbags but he slags their style. other posters dislike the skanger image because it associates them with trouble, eg ioxy above. it's the likes of the first post that i disagree with

There are lots of incidents of the form where a guy gets chatted up by a skanger girl, and then she goes and tells her boyfriend that he came onto her and he get gets the head kicked off him. bitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Am I Sad?

the threadstarter doesn't give any valid reason to dislike them other than the way they dress, he doesn't even suggest that their scumbags but he slags their style

yeah but he did go on to clarify his position on scumbags being scumbags. So he didn't make it clear in his first post-his point came through in the end so why use his very first post as a template by which to judge his position on the matter?

Anyway, the gist I get is that you're opposed to 'branding'. Well good luck with your campaign because you're fighting a decidedly uphill battle. 'Branding', unPC as it is, is a damned useful survival tool and I'm not the first poster to say that. I will use it to avoid any undesireable situation, be it something trivial like some adolescent who thinks throwing his empty coke bottle at my head on the bus is funny, or potentially fatal encounters with tracksuit wearing groups of drunken scumbags. If mentally labelling someone will help me through a day without negative incident then I will do it, whether I'm right or wrong in my judgement. Better safe than sorry. I can't and won't censor my thoughts . I'm not saying I have to do this every day but as a general rule I'll do it.

Put it this way-if you're walking down O connell street at night (people still do apparently) and one or more suspiciously dressed persons approach, your nice 'don't judge' attitude isn't going to stop them from kicking your head in if thats what they're set on doing. Nor will they thank you if you politely assure them 'unlike other people you didn't assume they were scumbags because they wore tracksuits'. But lets face it you'll never be in a position to do that anyway because you'll not be inclined to talk to a group of youths in tracksuits. Now why's that?

Originally posted by loismustdie
    you want a blue peter badge? :)

Cool, your giving away Blue Peter badges, Wahoo. Can you get them in red instead.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Skangers are fun, you can take the piss out of them with no bother.

What I really would like to know is how they keep their caps on at a 90 degree angle all the time.

Originally posted by loismustdie
    gah??????????????????????

90% of your day is bad experiences with skangers?
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????

haha resorted to twisting other peoples words now, have we?

I hate knackers - I have never had a non-skanger cause me any trouble before, while my experiences with skangers have been terrible. I don't care if you're a good person, if you chose to dress like a díckhead then I will discriminate against you.

On halloween last year I was at the DCU ball in the back gate(shíthole). It was shíte so we all left, and as we were walking away from it these 2 guys who were going up to the back gate nicley informed us that we were "fággots". One of the guys who was with us (big rugger dude) started walking down the road after them and the 2 knacks were like "I'll fukin' kill ye" all while walking backwards...then one of them walked into a parked bus and we started laughing at them...
    Take that ye knacks!

anyways I don't buy the arguement that its the business type guys who are the real scumbags etc. I don't give a shít if some rich guy screws over other rich guys, what I do care about it when these people throw abuse at you, both physically and verbally. If you owned a shop, and you had the choice between a skanger and a normal dude with the same qualifications etc, who would you pick? Sure the normal dude might rob you blind, but chances are if any of them is going to cause you any hassle, its the skanger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 charlene

First of all Sangre I have been homeless over a year now and am quiet used to it by now. I have access to a computer in a place called the loft which is a day centre for homeless people who are under 18 to eat shower and watch T.V use computer etc.
    Second of all skangers tend to targot a pacific type of person i.e the three 15 skaters walking through Stephens green or the skinny middle aged man with glasses and a breif case. It's not very often that they would pick on an other skanger or someone who look's like they could put up a good fight.

Trojan I see where you are coming from and i see your piont but if you walk by skangers and they give you greif and you answer back they are sure to start on you if you carry on walking don't look at them or open your mouth there's a 95% chance that they won't start on you.

Alany I'm no troll I'm 5"8 and I'm no liar either. Many of the lads that are homeless would be diagnosed with A.D.D which in most cases is the cause for them being homeless as it causes problems in the house hold. This being that they don't take boredom to well and when your left to walk around the streets of Dublin all day from 9:30am till 10:00pm there isn't much to do bar steal, take drugs and rob. I on the other hand enjoy sitting in front of a computer or writing to my friends who are in prison or just sitting around talking to staff in the day centre so see no need in having to entertain myself by robbing, taking drugs or beating people up. No, I myself have never been robbed and i tread the day that it will happen to me because i can imagine how scarey being mugged is or how ennoying being broke into is.

Mr Bungle I wouldn't consider Dame Lane or Q-bar to high rated in refusing scangers as i have many a times being aload in through thier doors wearing track suits to use the toilets or to get a glass of water.

Grimlock Yes, there are a few skanger girls going with black fella's now a days but not alot and i find it rude that you would say something like that as colour is only skin deep and also at this age no alot of black people walking the streets are born and bread in Ireland. They dont all hang around moore street and paranell street selling weed. Also that little accent is usually came across on girls from area's such as ballymun and Ballyfermot who spend alot of time outside there own area I myself am from Ballymun and i wouldn't say i have a skanger accent and many a times have been told i don't sound like I'm from Ballymun but how can you sound like your from somewhere?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement