Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[UK] 80 per cent of UK homes can now get ADSL

Options
  • 09-09-2003 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Taken from theregister
    Eight in ten homes in the UK can now get ADSL broadband, according to telecoms giant BT.

Once lambasted for being broadband laggard, BT claims that the increase in ADSL reach has come two years ahead of schedule.

BT says it is now "committed" to bring ADSL broadband nine out of ten homes in the UK.

Speaking at the World Broadband Forum in London today BT Wholesale chief executive Paul Reynolds said: "We have now brought broadband services to exchanges serving 80 per cent of UK homes.

"This month we'll have as many people connected to exchanges offering broadband as can switch on their mains gas cooker to make the supper," he sad.

Last summer two thirds of UK were connected to an ADSL-enabled exchange. Since then, though, BT Wholesale's pre-registration system that maps demand for broadband has helped bring high-speed Net access to areas previously thought commercially unviable.

Separately, BT also announced that it is extending the reach of its ADSL service so that properties with around 6km of line to the exchange can now get broadband. The increased reach, due to take effect from September 24, should mean that an extra 600,000 homes will be within reach of a broadband enabled telephone exchange.

The extended reach - subject to line test - means that the proportion of people who can receive broadband in enabled areas has increased from around 94 per cent to 97 per cent.

*sigh*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

I think this is good news (especially once it goes over 90%), as it will put more pressure on the Irish government to ensure broadband is available here too.

Although I have said the same about flat-rate as well, and that took years. Still, I think it's a positive development. In the case of rivalry between Japan and South Korea, it certainly helped. A lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

It's worth noting that it took the UK years to get to this level too. So don't expect anything anytime soon... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Dont expect anything at all anytime soon to be honest, eircom do now not have to provide any internet functionality what so ever with that ludicrous 0kbps limit on the internet in this country

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

How many homes are covered by the fabled 800,000(?) 'dsl enabled' lines in this country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Separately, BT also announced that it is extending the reach of its ADSL service so that properties with around 6km of line to the exchange can now get broadband. The increased reach, due to take effect from September 24, should mean that an extra 600,000 homes will be within reach of a broadband enabled telephone exchange.

I wonder how they achieved this and is there any reduction in terms of data transfer rate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

well to show you the change...i saw a recent advertisement offering broadbank in the uk on Sky for 2mb line...cant remember the cost but it was way cheaper then i was expecting...

imagine that 2mbit line in your house....

I know it will happen here, but why oh why are we always so dang slow...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Eurorunner
    I wonder how they achieved this and is there any reduction in terms of data transfer rate..

Their parameters are explained Here . From September 24 they will more than likely change the Db level that they consider acceptable in order to mark the line with a pass.

A combination of improved firmware in the Client systems and in the exchanges themselves can assist this incremental improvement in service. Bt 'should' pass lines at 6km where they were previously passing at 5.5km or so.

Hopefully Eircom will also relax their OWN criteria which is in and around 4-4.5km but if you have a carrier line (aka a splitter or pairgain) your Db levels will be way off what is considered acceptable. Remember that Eircoms RADSL service is Up To 512k with a guaranteed minimum of ONLY 256k. I am not sure about the nitty gritty of the UK one.

M

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE:a recent advertisement offering broadbank in the uk on Sky for 2mb line...cant remember the cost but it was way cheaper then i was expecting...

TeleWest - a cable company. NOT ADSL
    It's like something you'd get from NTL - but then again if you live in the right area they will give you BB for €20 over your normal TV subs. Pity NTL don't do telephony over cable - then could tell Eircom where to shove the line rental...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Pity NTL don't do telephony over cable - then could tell Eircom where to shove the line rental...

I actually do not understand why they are not doing that -- all it would take are some VoIP phones, and a backend for it on their side. You would even be able to keep your existing number.

Or are ComReg blocking it?

Advertisement