Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AVG Antivirus

Options
  • 09-09-2003 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭

is avg any good or is it a complete piece of crap like i think it is? How does it compare to norton antivirus?

Also have heard of a bloke selling AVG to clients, surely that isnt legal seeing as its a free download?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by pclancy
    is avg any good or is it a complete piece of crap like i think it is? How does it compare to norton antivirus?
    Why ask if you think it's crap? Anyway I don't think it's crap at all, I'd rate it higher than Norton (I've used both, much prefer AVG).
    Also have heard of a bloke selling AVG to clients, surely that isnt legal seeing as its a free download?
    There's a commerical version, I'd assume "some bloke" is selling licences for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

The basic version is free, but there are server versions that you pay for. I would guess tho that you'd have to buy it directly from grisoft and it's probably illegal for this guy to be selling it.

It is by far the best virus scanner I've ever used. I wouldn't go near McAfee or Norton ever again, even if they were also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

but how can a product that comes from a company as big and powerfull as symantec be worse then AVG? if a virus comes out at 9am, symantec have an update for NAV by 12pm! I personally dont like AVG but to be honest ive never used it that much, so i just wanted peoples opinions as to whether it was anyway as good as products such as NAV or even mcaffee.

By the way this guy is definatly selling the free version not the corporate or server versions. Illegal?

Are you just trolling? If you don't like AVG, don't use it.
    wrt. the guy selling AVG Free, I'd imagine Grisoft wouldn't be too impressed. Mail them if you want.

not trolling, just wanted other users opinions of it!

• Advertisement

If you haven't used it that much I don't know how you can reach the conclusion that it's crap.
    I've used McAfee/Norton/AVG and have found AVG far superior to the others.

why superior? Asking because have to buy large quantitiy of AV software.

I can't speak for the commercial version as I don't use it.
    I've just found it uses less resources than Norton. Also, recently someone decided to run blah.scr.pif.exe on my PC at home. McAfee picked it up but wouldn't remove it but AVG would.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I'm also using AVG and I confirm that for a free product it's a very good anti-virus!

As for the virus update, for the last worm few weeks ago, it was in the definition the day of the outbreak... In average, there's one update every 4 days.

Raphael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Zion

Just wondering what about PC-Cillin 2002? Is it any good at all? That's the only anti-virus software I have.

• Advertisement

Cheers for the info lads. Might give AVG a whirl so. I'm just never a big fan of free software.

I'm just never a big fan of free software.

Why, free is good, no?

Raphael

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Originally posted by pclancy
    Cheers for the info lads. Might give AVG a whirl so. I'm just never a big fan of free software.
    Which, free software (as in beer) or Free software (as in speech)?

What's not to be a fan of (in either case)?

...sez he, indulging in just a little smugness having switched to Linux just last weekend... :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

RE:I'm just never a big fan of free software.

Just wondering if you use the Web or not..

Most Browsers are free inc IE / Netscape
    Most Web sites are hosted on Apache
    The only reason the web exists is that HTML is free

BTW: you did mean free as in beer rather than speach :)

you know what i mean, obviously free stuff like HTML is cool but im never a fan of software that is free like antivirus software because im never sure how they can be good if the publisher isnt charging for them obviously how can they have developed them as well as a company that charges for them?

Im a huge fan of Linux and Staroffice both software that was origonally free or at least very cheap. Its just in the case of antivirus software, my belief was that how could a company like Symantec with as much resources dedicated to finding and countering viruses and security threats produce software that is not as good as one that is free to download?

And i LOOOVE FREE BEER!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

The free version of AVG does not get the engine upgrades as often/quickly as the licensed version. The licensed version is based on a per seat license and costs about €49 retail.

I have used Norton, Mcafee and AVG in a workshop and out on site, and AVG (even the free one) is much easier to install/uninstall and performs just as well as the more well known ones (and the licensed version is still a good €20 to €40 cheaper than the competition).

Never used the network version though.

As for AVG, it's free only for a single user and for non-commercial use.
    They're selling their "pro" product for server, corporate... so they get (hopefuly) some money from their work.

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

AVG all the way. I've been using it for a good while and have to say that I've found it superior to the Symantec and Norton products I used before.

The only concern I have is whether they'll soon phase out the free version when they discontinue version 6.0. All the current releases of version 7.0 cost money - not too much and probably worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I've been using AVG for years now. I bought a version about 2 years ago and was using that on my old PC. When I got my new PC back last December, I installed the free version and have been using it since. Personally I think it works just fine, and I think it is easier to use than Symantec's AV program.

Advertisement