Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a gprs modem for basic e-mail/web access

• 09-09-2003 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

So , i'm living in rented accomodation at the moment. Moving into my own place and would like to save a few bucks in the mean time.

So my question is this -

Has anybody here been using a laptop with a gprs modem( just got a new 7210, had a 6310) for very basic web browsing and email. Most of my surfing is done in work at the moment. Will sign up for broadband when i move.

I would like to ditch the land line altogether. Is this doable. I have a free phone number for web access via work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 jt

hi
    I use the nokia 6310i with a toshiba laptop and also with handspring visor. They're both ok for surfing, but it feels very slow. I use this setup when on a job, usually in the car or from a cafe.

I'm not sure if I'm using HSDC or GPRS when connecting with the nokia. The fone bill seems to indicate GPRS.

Hope that helps,
    jt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

it's possible to do alright - you might want to check out the operators charges first

http://www.vodafone.ie/dataservices/gprs/prices/index.jsp

(if the O2 site would stop flaking out i'd post their's but it's acting up at the moment - will try posting it if it starts behaving again)

if on Vodafone you could use their HSCSD service, charged at a standard 087 -087 rate (i.e. you could use your free monthly off-peak allowance, not you friend-for-free though)

also, it's only really viable on a post-pay (billed account) in case you were thinking of trying it on pre-pay

hth,
    BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

Thanks for the info. The o2 site has my heart broken. I'm just setting up the gprs modem now so we'll see how it goes. I have a feeling i'll have to fork out for a cable. IR seem very flaky with my HP laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

here is a bit of info for ya :)

Please follow the instructions below.

1.Install the 6310/6310i software onto your laptop.
    2. Make sure you can connect to gprs on your handset by going to Menu, Services and Home.
    3. On your phone go to Menu, settings, gprs modem settings, edit active access point, gprs access point and in here type open.internet

To Make a Manual Connection on Win XP

1. Click Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet connections, Network Connections.

2. Click Create New Connection then the Network Connection Wizard box will appear. Click Next.

3. Select Connect to the Internet and click Next.

4. Select Set up My Connection Manually and click Next.

5. Select Using a Dial up Modem and click Next.

6. Enter your ISP name eg o2.ie and click Next.

7. Enter the number you are dialing up to eg. if you are connecting using gprs you enter *99# If you are making a csd connection you will type in the number for your ISP eg. If you are in Dublin the number is 012461027. Click Next

8. Username and Password is next, if you are connecting using gprs both the username and password is gprs all in lowercase then confirm password gprs. If you are connecting using a csd connection the Username is "register@o2.ie" and password is "guest". Then confirm password "guest". Click Next.

9. In the next screen that appears tick Add a shortcut to my desktop and click Finish. You will the have an icon on your desktop called "Shortcut to o2.ie". You then double click on this and enter your username and password eg gprs for both or register@o2.ie and password guest, depending on which one you are using.

Check Modem Settings

1. Go to Start, Settings, Control Panel and click on Modems.

2. Highlight your modem and click on Properties. Eg 6310/6310i cable modem/IRDA Modem depending on which one you are using.

3. Click on the Connection Tab and then click on Advanced. For the extra string or extra setting type in the following at+cgdcont=1,"IP","open.internet" (you only enter this if you are connecting using gprs)

Once everything above is entered you should then be able to connect using your 6310/6310i and a cable/IR to your laptop.

rgds

Cheers for that Greg, just waiting for the cable to come in the door from Amazon. Will try that out when it arrives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭greg_f

Hi Weeslip,sorry i forgot to mention:eek: make sure you are getting a nokia dlr3p cable for the 6310i others will cause probs

hi, it may be a good idea to use +353866066020 rather than an 01 landline number for the Dial-up (CSD) connection, so that you get O2 to O2 peak-call rates (on network), depening on price plan, it works out a lot cheaper

plus you could try AT+CBST=14,0,1 for the dial-up (CSD) which may push your connection to 14.4kbps, rather than the standard 9.6kbps

p.s.
    don't forget to enter the DNS address into the TCP/IP entry for the connection:

hth,
    BrianG

Now thats good info to know, thanks a lot for that Brian, have you been using this setup?, is it adequate for v.simple browsing/email

Eain

O2 dial-up is a bit slow when using a laptop (it's grand for the occasional use on a PDA). HSCSD is pretty much the best option for a decent dial-up experience at the moment (Vodafone only).

For speed GPRS will offer you a better experience on O2, you just have to watch your usage (as you pay for every KB) and choose the best inclusive GPRS package for your needs (they have a number of options with inclusive MB to use, and carry over each month).

O2 have a great online account system that tracks your usage over the month and reporst back how many KB you used in each GPRS session (and you can use the GPRS counter in the phone as a guide).

hth,
    BrianG

Advertisement