Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what rate do you charge site updating?

Options
  • 09-09-2003 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I know this is a bit of a varied question but what rate per hour do you guys charge for basic webdesign/ site updating/ HTML coding

25 Euro per Hour?
    40 Euro per Hour?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

Originally posted by manonthemoon
    I know this is a bit of a varied question but what rate per hour do you guys charge for basic webdesign/ site updating/ HTML coding

25 Euro per Hour?
    40 Euro per Hour?

That seems very cheap to me very cheap indeed. For a professional designer anyhow there are a lot of cowboys out there who will work cheap but you compare their work to the likes of baltimore.ie and see the difference. Which I think spin use to design I could be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

To be honest, you should be charging the same rate as you would for designing/developing the site in the first place.

If its 1 or 2 hours a month, then that does fine. If its 10 or more, you can offer your client a discount for bulk purchasing, e.g. 25% off regular rate.

I'd put the rate of EUR 80 per hour on updates with discounts for large quantities of updates.

Charge in 15 minute blocks also.

Regards,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

It would depend on how complex the updates were. If a client just wants you to change a couple of lines here and there you could hardly charge them 80 euro...
    Maybe a maintenance contract is the way to go.

If it's only going to take you 60 seconds... I wouldn't charge for it. As I said, you can charge in 15 minute blocks. And for those 15 minutes, you charge 20 euro. That's reasonable in my opinion!

If its going to be a regular thing, either look at a cms or a maintenance contract. Just make sure you are paid for the work you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I dont charge any where near those prices,

the most i have ever charged is €13/hour and that was only once, I would be happy with 10/Hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Serbian

Originally posted by NeVeR
    I dont charge any where near those prices,

the most i have ever charged is €13/hour and that was only once, I would be happy with 10/Hour
    Professional design companies would charge €70 and above for their services. Assuming the work you do is of a good quality, you are seriously undervaluing yourself. There is a piece on the designers guild -- Found here. Have a read of that, then you should probably reconsider your pricing scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

I used to make the mistake of charging different rates for different clients.

But that all changed a long time ago :)

I only charge around 20-30 an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

depends what the updating involves, if you are updating an existing site by just editing existing content then you can't really charge as much as if you were being asked to redevelop or redesign the site

if someone tried to charge me Eur 80 an hour for editing text on an already built page - i'd have to ask them if they were really being serious - although it's not the highest i've ever been quoted for something as basic as that! - if their time involved concept work and page builds or basic scripting etc then fair enough - that would be somewhere to begin negotiations

with the web industry they way it is at the moment there are a fair number of freelancers out there (more than) willing and able for work - if a freelancer can prove their worth with good references / portfolio then they might be lucky getting the few jobs there are going around - although they would be in fierce competition with the few web dev companies left / or design companies who have a couple of web bods in-house

usually found the design companies (i.e. whose main work was branding/concept/print) the worst for coming back with crazy quotes and more often than not technically poor web work - although there are a lot of companies who will pay their fees as it means they only have to deal with one place or they think paying more means better quality...

BrianG

A couple of years ago, I was doing the updates for a website and charging the owner 25 punt per page added. There was a bit of typing and an image to be optimised. I did about 10 of these a month on average.

It wasn't cost effective for my client on an ongoing basis to keep incurring this so we started building and using content management systems so the owner could manage the content themselves, eliminating these charges for our clients.

That's our whole business philosophy now... giving the customer control. We don't get into modifying the content at all... they can do it themselves. If our clients require a fundamental change to the design or coding of the site, then we do that for them at our standard charge of EUR 80 per hour.

It would not be cost effective for us to be doing updates to a website at a rate of EUR 30 or so. After all, it's a business we are running and we have overheads to cover.

If you are still trying to price your update fee, have a look at what your costs for doing it are, e.g. time, proportion of your variable costs, etc. Also look at what work you can be doing that you are able to charge more because you are utilising your skills more. Something like "Opportunity Costs".

p.s. some good points there BrianG

Cheeurs...

Advertisement