Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty Points - Garda Speed Detector Indicator???

Options
  • 09-09-2003 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

You know what I mean.......the thing you put on your dashboard to detect when a speed gun is being used.

I want one!

I just got two penalty points for driving 36 m.p.h. in a 30 mile zone. Along the side of Milltown Golf Club in Dublin, as it happens.

Yes, I was breaking the limit. I'm cool about the fine. But, two points on my licence for three years is insanely disproportionate to the crime. There should be an ascending scale; e.g. 1 point for one year up to 35 m.p.h. etc...etc.....

I have thirteen years of no claims - which, by the way, I was able to avail of IN FULL when I recently got insurance in Belgium. i.e. The first world!

Anyway, I have to have my car for work so I can't risk anymore.

Where can I buy one of those devices?

Finally, my wife just received a fine in the post yesterday saying that she was doing 50 m.p.h. in a 40 m.p.h. zone on the Belgard Road, Tallaght a month ago. Presumably, a speed camera as she wasn't stopped. They really could be making this up, you know! Is it worth contesting, or should she just pay up and put it down to experience?

Perhaphs there needs to be debate on this subject. Apologies if there is already a thread.

D.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

i'm not sure if you can detect the digital guns they use but you can detect the radio wave guns they use. Came in handy when the west cork rally was on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

There are a load of different types.
    Different radar bands and frequencies, different types of lasers etc. Really you need front and rear protection.

Dont have one myself but seem decent, yet expensive.

http://www.cqcomms.com/raddet.htm
    -Probably cheaper elsewhere online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Of course you do know that they're illegal to own and operate in this country.

Not that I care, but you should at least know that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 no1lfcfan

the cheapest one I've found around is for £199.00.........very pricy don't you think??

http://www.speedcheetah.co.uk/index2.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Dinarius
    You know what I mean.......the thing you put on your dashboard to detect when a speed gun is being used.
    This will not work with any of the fixed or mobile cameras. You are probably better of getting one of the GPS sytems that warns you when you are (a) near a camera location (b) breaking the limit.
    Originally posted by Dinarius
    Finally, my wife just received a fine in the post yesterday saying that she was doing 50 m.p.h. in a 40 m.p.h. zone on the Belgard Road, Tallaght a month ago. Presumably, a speed camera as she wasn't stopped. They really could be making this up, you know!
    Unlikely, they keep video / photo evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

as far as i know they arent illegal to own. Just switch on.

Something to do with broadcasting laws. Some of them transmit signals, so its covered under those laws.

I wouldnt like to have to explain one to an angry garda though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

They are illegal to sell, purchase, own, posess or use in the Free State.

They are legal to sell, purchase and own in the UK (including Northern Ireland) but are illegal to use for the purpose of detecting a police speed trap.

And, as Victor said, they provide no benefit for any of the passive speed identification systems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I disagree, they are illegal to use, but not illegal to own in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Hands up, it would appear that I am wrong. Sorry if I inadvertently misled anyone.

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2003/01/10/story864827941.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Hey, I see that all cars are coming with two devices pre-installed that will prevent penalty points for speeding...

The accelerator and the brake :D:D ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

We've been here before.
    See this thread:http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=70636&highlight=detector

Thanks to Samson for the quote from the legislation.

And so you don't have to look it up:
    Importation, ownership and use are all illegal.

S.I. No. 50/1991 ROAD TRAFFIC (SPEED METER DETECTORS) REGULATIONS, 1991.

And I quote:

ROAD TRAFFIC (SPEED METER DETECTORS) REGULATIONS, 1991.

The Minister for the Environment in exercise of the powers conferred on him by sections 5 of the Road Traffic Act, 1961 (No. 24 of 1961) and by section 9 of the Road Traffic Act, 1968 (No. 25 of 1968) hereby makes the following Regulations:—

1. These Regulations may be cited as the Road Traffic (Speed Meter Detectors) Regulations, 1991.

2. These Regulations shall come into operation on the 1st day of April, 1991.

3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

4. A person shall not use in a public place a mechanically propelled vehicle to which is fitted, or in or on which is carried, a speed meter detector whether or not such device is actually in use.

5. (1) The importation or supplying of, or offering to supply, a speed meter detector is hereby prohibited.

(2) The fitting of, or offering to fit, a speed meter detector to a mechanically propelled vehicle is hereby prohibited.

6. Article 5 of these Regulations shall be a penal Regulation.

GIVEN under the Official Seal of the Minister for the Environment

this 14th day of March, 1991.

PÁDRAIG FLYNN,

Minister for the Environment.

EXPLANATORY NOTE.

These Regulations prohibit importation, supply, fitting and use of speed meter detectors and jammers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

For the speed cameras that take a snap shot of the car from behind, there are these special licence plates that are made in such a way to reflect the light of the camera flash and when the picture is printed they cant make out the licence no..

Totally illegal of course, but just thought Id mention it.. :D

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Victor
    This will not work with any of the fixed or mobile cameras. You are probably better of getting one of the GPS sytems that warns you when you are (a) near a camera location (b) breaking the limit. .

dunno, must be one of those shoddy irish ones, because ive been in a car with one that goes ahwire everytime you go near anything like that, be it a hairdryer type handheld speedometer, a stationary one, a camera, or any type of laser targeting one.
    the only problem is it also goes off when you are about traffic lights which can be adjusted depending on traffic flow etc.
    it also goes off with traffic announcment cameras. i dont know if they are in ireland, but in the UK there are blue camereas which will tell special cars what the traffic is like for the next 1, 3 and 10 miles. really handy, although only ever driven a rover that had one. could possibly link to some gprs system or something though.

but the more expensive devices definately pick up all the methods of getting caught on speed camerasa of different types.

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    dunno, must be one of those shoddy irish ones, because ive been in a car with one that goes ahwire everytime you go near anything like that, be it a hairdryer type handheld speedometer, a stationary one, a camera, or any type of laser targeting one.
    But if it's a GATSO van that just needs someone to press a button every time someone overtakes it ...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hairspray - that's very old - they were doing that in Germany over a decade ago.

And I'm sure the latest cameras will beat it (remeber seeing something like that in UK cameras about 5 years ago on telly)

Since there are only 3 cameras in Dublin - how does anyone know if they have beaten the system or just been lucky ?

"I AM THE LAW" : J DREDD
    3. In these Regulations, "speed meter detector" means any device which is capable of being used to indicate the existence of, or to frustrate the operation of, electronic or other apparatus being used to give indications from which the speed at which a person was driving can be inferred.

so if you are caught with a can of hair spray in the car .....

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Hairspray - that's very old - they were doing that in Germany over a decade ago.
    Eh? Who mentioned hairspray?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

I agree about the idea of getting 2 points on your licence for 3 fliping years for going 6mph over the limit... that's gotta be changed, the penalty's are far to much for such a little offence

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

I've seen those licences, their very reflective even during the day. Looks like they've been covered in washing up liquid

Originally posted by ando
    I agree about the idea of getting 2 points on your licence for 3 fliping years for going 6mph over the limit... that's gotta be changed, the penalty's are far to much for such a little offence
    "such a little offence" is the difference between killing someone and not killing someone.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK In Canada they have a nice fine system
    every 10mph you go over the limit the fine is doubled
    one guy was caught doing 130mph in a 30 zone...

Also have a look at this from Finland (make a nice EU Directive)
    http://www.canoe.ca/CNEWSWeirdNews0204/14_speeding-ap.html
    Fine can be 40 Days pay

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

But if it's a GATSO van that just needs someone to press a button every time someone overtakes it ...

They don't activate the radar only when a car overtakes, the Gatso vans contain a radar unit very similar to the fixed cameras, which is emitting radio waves constantly whilst they are pulled up monitoring traffic.
    It is not an "instant on" device.

"such a little offence" is the difference between killing someone and not killing someone.

Take a look at the quotes here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=959218#post959218

Originally posted by Samson
    They don't activate the radar only when a car overtakes, the Gatso vans contain a radar unit very similar to the fixed cameras, which is emitting radio waves constantly whilst they are pulled up monitoring traffic.
    It is not an "instant on" device.

Do these not detect that aswell?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Silent Bob

Not when you didn't hit anyone :D

Originally posted by STaN
    Do these not detect that aswell?

A radar detector will pick up emissions from Gatso (fixed or mobile). However, as the beam is quite low powered (Ka or Ku band) and either at an angle to traffic (van), or facing away (fixed post), you need to be vigilant as you won't get much warning.
    Although if you are not aware enough to spot a Gatso van ahead in time to brake, you deserve to get done.

OK... i hope i dont get shot for asking this...

but whats a GATSO van

Oh and a i ment the radio emmissions that the likes of the speed camera i assume have facing towards the traffic so it knows whether to take a shot or not from behind on the marked lines.

but whats a GATSO van

gatsovan.jpg

http://www.speedtraps.ie.nu/gatso.htm

but whats a GATSO van
    Apparently there is a variety of models and colours, each with similar equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What about the Truvelo systems also in use here. see here for info. Truvelo speed camera

These dont emit laser or radar and are undectable. You can see the Piezo Road Strips all over the place and the little box where the cops connect the camera and then move to a new spot. A favourite spot is on the M7 Naas/Newbridge Bypass just before the M9 Kilcullen spur.

You have been warned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement