Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gearathy Banned

Options
  • 09-09-2003 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭

banned for 42 weeks iirc [PLZ feel free to correct that] for being sent off in a club game and then the ref reported him for violent conduct [?]

sorry if some of the details are wrong, I heard it on TV3 this morning. Hard to remember it all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

thats about right...good enough for him !

ha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

This brought a big smile to my face when i heard it earlier. 48 weeks for violent and verbal abuse towards a referee. And 2 more weeks for getting sent off in the game (2 yellows)

He is a prize knacker anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

I'm so sad to hear this. I'm sure he's innocent though as he is from Meath and Meath players would never do anything like that.

hahahahhahahhaha........

PS. What's the chance of a similar fate for Ollie Murphy? (If he's thinking of playing next year)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What i dont understand is why he is not on the international rules.He would be great kickin the s**t out of the aussies and if he gets sent off we can replace him with someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭gerire

What i dont understand is why he is not on the international rules.He would be great kickin the s**t out of the aussies and if he gets sent off we can replace him with someone else

Because he has been banned from all GAA activity, so seeing as the international series is representing Irelands best GAA players he cant be involved, and we wont miss him anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

A player of ours at home hit the ref and got 96 weeks plus the club got a €5,000 fine...

that knacker got of lightly, I thought he physically assualted the ref...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭xlex

Geraghty appeal rejected

The Leinster Council has rejected Graham Geraghty's appeal against a 48-week ban handed down by the Meath County Board.

The Seneschalstown man picked up the ban after allegedly verbally and physically abusing intercounty referee Jim Smith after his club's SFC defeat against Ballivor. The loss but the Kenstown club out of contention in the Meath championship and Geraghty was incensed after being sent off with two yellow cards and some of the referee's other decisions.

Leinster Council decided to back the County Board's decision and this leaves Geraghty with some difficult decisions to make.

The has been wide spread anger in within the county at the length of Geraghty's ban with the County Board coming in for some heavy criticism. Some observers feel he may have been harshly treated.

Geraghty will be 32 before his ban expires and unless there is a further appeal, it is difficult to se him wearing the green and gold of this county again.

Longford GAC gets tough

In an effort to stamp out further violence, the Longford County Board have taken the step of imposing a two year ban on St. Patrick's, Ardagh, veteran player, James Keegan after he was alleged to have struck referee Pat Corrigan prior to receiving a red card in the Longford JFC semi-final on August 30th last.

The club, are also fined a massive Eu5,000 over the incident which left the referee with a fractured jaw. The fine which will send shock waves not just through GAA circles in Longford but will have repercussions throughout the entire country will see half of the fine going to a charity of assaulted referee's choice.

St Pat's Chairman, Jimmy Lennon, has refused to comment on the ruling by the GAC, as he has as of yet received no official notification.

The Longford County Board who have vigorously promoted their club championship staging all their games at Pearse Park, on Saturday and Sunday evenings with the result of attracting huge crowds are anxious to quell any further unsavoury incidents. The heavy fine comes as a backdrop to a number of other unwelcome incidents over the past number of months. An earlier incident during the championship saw an umpire being assaulted by a club official while just last week a minor player had his jaw fractured during an incident in the tunnel during a minor championship game.

While Longford County Board have taken steps to stamp out this sort of violence it is not the only county suffering such abuse of officials. At present Meath county player, Graham Geraghty, is contesting a 48-week ban for alleged physical interference of a referee. Also in the eye of the storm is an investigation into an incident after a hurling championship game which took place in Kerry.

Advertisement