Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Networking

• 09-09-2003 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭

Being new to the whole wireless networking area, I thought id find some experts and pick their brains.

I need to network 5 computers that are fairly well spread out. They are base in a large house but 1 of them is in a converted garage. Traditional wired networking is out of the question for at least 2 of the computers. The third may also be inaccessible.

To keep the cost down, I was thinking of wiring two (perhaps three) of the computers. However I am going to need some wireless hardware.

Now, can anyone help me by suggesting what hardware i would need? The computers are all desktops running windows (2k to xp). Internet connection sharing is not an issue at the moment but would be nice to have the option there.

From what little i know, I reckon that i need 2 (or 3) wireless nics and an access point (connected to the wired network). Which is better - PCI to PCMIA combo or just a straight PCI card? Can I ignore the access point by just having an ethernet and a wireless nic in one machine? IF so, what kind of software will I need for that, or is it an automatic windows thing?

Anyway, your suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I use a 3Com Wireless AP/Switch/Router. Sounds like you need something similar.

It's an Access Point with a 4 port switch and an additional port for an Internet connection. As far as I can remember it has PPPoE support so you can dispense with a DSL modem.

Your 3 wired PC's would connect into the switch. Assuming that the other two PC's have no problems connecting to the AP, that's them connected also. In addition, your requirements for Internet sharing are taken care of.

Regarding connecting to the AP. You should be fine working within a house without Line-Of-Sight to the WiFi cards unless the walls of the house are very think or have some type of foil-backed lining. You may have to move the AP or one or both of the WiFi PC's and/or play with the antenna orientation on the AP to get the best connection.

Hardware : 3Com AP/Router, 3 NICs, 2 Wifi cards, cabling.

As for which is better - PCI/PCMCIA or PCI, unless you specifically want a PCMCIA slot for your PC why bother with a PCI/PCMCIA adaptor?

Software for the cards will either be present on the PC or will come with the cards.

Yes, it's possible to dispense with the AP and put a WiFi card and a NIC into one of the wired PC's however the AP I have only cost €100 - and for that, you're also getting a 4-port switch and router, so why bother?

Regards,

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I would personally go with the AP as well. It would offer more flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I am new to this lark and need a hand as well.

I am building a house and rather than network the house I figure that I will go wireless.

At the moment I use a laptop for work and access the internet via dial up. I have a wireless card for that. Because of my location there is no prospect of broadband of any sort in the foreseeable future.

I want my kids to be able to access the internet and I would like to be able to take my laptop to other parts of the house. At the moment we have a pc running Win 98 as well as the laptop (xp). This would be the only networking requirement at the moment. (internet)

I will be working from home and have built a small office from where all access (tel etc) will be distributed.

I assume that because of dial up, either the laptop or the pc will have to be the conduit for all this networking.

Can anybody help!

Advertisement