Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIAA: Yet more insanity

Options
  • 09-09-2003 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭

I really have to laugh at the latest RIAA tactics against file-sharing. I just feel sorry for the people they've picked on. However, today, they really supassed themselves. Check out this link:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3092854.stm

Couple this with the unconfirmed reports of them suing a 12 year old girl? This is simply rediculous. I don't know how they're planning to justify the €150,000 PER SONG DOWNLOADED damages sought! I suppose thats the salary of every record executive who lost their job during this 'crisis'? Haha. Don't make me laugh. Seriously, please stop.

The final irony is that Sony music are making a sh*t-load selling mp3 players, whilst simultaneously suing people for downloading them in the first place! They really are taking a shotgun to both feet, and willingly pulling the trigger.

Finally, for the laugh, lets just say that *an un-named friend* (lol) of mine was to be fined €150,000 per song downloaded. This person would then owe... €480,000,000!!!

Yes, ladies and gentlemen. Your eyes do not decieve you. That is 480 million euros! Almost half a billion dollars! More than a tenth of the Irish republic's national debt! Do you think a comission could be set up to deal with this person's personal debt management?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    This person would then owe... €480,000,000!!!

LOL, yeah, I can imagine him going into a bank and asking for a 480 mil' loan for a few cds, I'll pay you back over a few thousnad years! can't get blood from a stone!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by mr_angry4
    That is 480 million euros! Almost half a billion dollars! More than a tenth of the Irish republic's national debt!
    1.32% of Ireland's national debt rather than over 10 but your point is still good.

150 grand is the maximum amount of damages that can be awarded for a single act of copyright infringement in the US. I'm sure they try to justify suing for this figure on the basis that the person is theoretically sharing the file with everyone on the planet. Which is more than a little bogus as a rationale but that's the way the RIAA began to think under Hilary Rosen's presidency.

Advertisement