Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coalition is losing the War on Terrorism according to respected English academic

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    Freedom. It's a bull**** word. Something for Michael Collins and William Wallis to shout about in the trailers for Hollywood movies.

Figuring things out for yourself is the only freedom anyone really has. Use that freedom.

( Jean Rasczak: Starship Troopers).

Strangely, the films also have occasionally what are perhaps the truest insights into freedom as well ;)

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Geromino

Originally posted by The Beer Baron
    At this rate I predict Canada's borders are going to be overun by 18-25 year old males by 2006.

In fact wasn't there talk about the Bush administration changing the draft laws prior to the Iraqi invasion?
    Seems a good way to get rid of illegal Mexican immigrants
    and other ethnic groups, non-Republican voters, protesters, people with long hair, etc, etc...

I seriously doubt it. The US has not had a draft since the 70's when President Carter ended the draft and created a purely voluntary force.
    And how much Freedom do we have anyways? How much Freedom does the average American have? How do you quantify Freedom? I don't have Freedom, nobody really does.
    Granted I have more than the inhabitants of many countries but still- I cannot always come and go as I please, do as I please, think as I please. There's always someone watching, someone talking, people to answer to, people to avoid...Civilisation (oh there's another one), it seems, abohrs Freedom.

Freedom. It's a bull**** word. Something for Michael Collins and William Wallis to shout about in the trailers for Hollywood movies.
    F**k Freedom

You have freedoms, none of them are absolute. You have the freedom to walk into a pub, without any traveling papers, order a brew, chew the fat, and so forth. You do not have the freedom to smash the glass behind the bar. The same can go if you own a vehicle, work, sex, travel (generally), and other adventures. As for Americans, we have plenty of freedom, but again, none of them absolute. We have the freedom to express ourselves, but not at the expense of others (this is called slander or libel). We have the freedom to own guns, but those with hardened criminal records cannot officially obtain such devices nor can a child. We have the freedom to own a car, but drive with a DUI and kill somebody, you will be facing the consequences if you survive the accident that is.

My question to you is are you willing to accept the consequences of your actions while you are very willing to accept your rewards. Judging from you posts, I take it you have not been to America for a prolonged period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

I seriously doubt it. The US has not had a draft since the 70's when President Carter ended the draft and created a purely voluntary force.

That can change son, that can change.
    You do not have the freedom to smash the glass behind the bar.

Freedom is not a gift to be given by a government.
    Freedom is the right of every living human being.
    As humans our brains are advanced enough to form not only a social, but a moral framework. the difference between Right and Wrong Many people with psychological/mental problems cannot, legitimatly see this- because their minds are, well, broken. But most can and choose to ignore it. We're all guilty of this, myself included. But then again, it should be up to each individual to choose what's right and wrong- to know this. Not to be told it by our government (who know no better). Certainly not by you.

We have the freedom to express ourselves, but not at the expense of others (this is called slander or libel).

You have the freedom to say what you like as long as the State doesn't disagree with it, none of the thousands of civil-rights, religious fundamentalists, feminists, homosexuals, minority-groups, PC-activists, industrialsists, capitalists, politicians, greedy-corporations and crackpots don't either send you to jail, assasinate you, slander you back or sue you because you said something they don't like.

Other than that- yeah, freedom of speech.
    We have the freedom to own guns, but those with hardened criminal records cannot officially obtain such devices nor can a child.

Well that's a relief huh?
    What an enlightened system.

(I'll hold off on this one though- because I like guns from a purely aesthetic appeal and from the A-Team "blowing **** up" aspect.)
    My question to you is are you willing to accept the consequences of your actions while you are very willing to accept your rewards.

In a fair and just political system yes, an uncorrupt one without hypocracy yes. In a nation that governs its people with wisdom and compassion, yes. Not in a nanny state.

Anyone tell me where I can find such a utopia I'll be there.
    Failing that, anyone loan me 8000billion Euros to establish a colony on the moon?

to answer your question- last time I was in the US was 1999.
    I have no real intention of going back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The Draft

The draft could be brought back, but unless all hell broke out it would prove very unpopular.

Freedom

The Beer Baron, even for me, your ideas on freedom are foolishly stupid. Maybe it is not right for a single government to tell its people what is right and wrong, however for each individual to do so is purely wrong and again foolishly stupid.

Re: Guns: “What an enlightened system”

In my view it is not totally the system to blame, it’s also the culture. Canada has more free gun laws with less stupid people.

It is like the case where two children go shooting cars on the freeway - lets blame GTA and the evil computer games industry, lets not blame the parents for given them such easy access to the weapons. Never mind about the weapons, why were they playing over 18 games in the first place? Or maybe somebody should have told them it is wrong to do such things.

“Nanny State”

Now there’s my newest hated phrase; the reason been that the people who are using in this country are ranting about not been allowed smoke in pubs. While most of the same did not voice their concerns about real nanny-state laws, which has and will give the garda more outrageous powers, the same government who are scaling down the freedom of information act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

The Draft

I dunno- they're gonna need a lot more people in Iraq alone.
    At the rate the US is going I honestly don't believe it's so far-fetched.
    your ideas on freedom are foolishly stupid. Maybe it is not right for a single government to tell its people what is right and wrong, however for each individual to do so is purely wrong and again foolishly stupid.

Are we not be given some credit?
    Are we that sheepish as to lie back and let the government decide our fate, decide for us what is right and wrong?
    I mean let's be honest, more often than not governments are wrong- they're certainly fallible, and tend to go back on their word, they're evasive and they're two-faced.

If a government does something that I believe is wrong then am I not wrong to question it? In the UK & Oz the government ignored the will of the people by joining the Iraq coalition.

I like to consider myself fairly amoral, but still, I think I've more scruples than Bush, Blair, Bertie et all. And personally I think that the less people speak out against their country's leaders the more and more vile acts shall be carried out, to use the hackneyed expression, "in their name"
    “Nanny State”
    Now there’s my newest hated phrase;

You hear it a lot these days for some reason.
    the reason been that the people who are using in this country are ranting about not been allowed smoke in pubs.

Now that's a low blow (cough)
    While most of the same did not voice their concerns about real nanny-state laws, which has and will give the garda more outrageous powers, the same government who are scaling down the freedom of information act

Because a lot of people never heard of them for some reason.

Really, I agree with you on this one tho.
    If we don't hold government accountable they'll take advantage.
    Because democratically elected officials only have as much power as that which has been given to them by us, the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Geromino
    In the USA, all adult males have to register so as to enable a draft system to be instituted at the drop of a hat.

Advertisement