Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE6 'New Window' Problem...

Options
  • 09-09-2003 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭

lo all,

Using IE6 in XP.

When I click File, New, Window, the child window opens and the parent automatically closes.

Need to stop this from happening...any and all help/pointers appreciated.

Thanks

Luc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

*Hup*

Seriously all, this is doing heads in.

T

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

does the same happen when you press ctrl and n ?

Yep, CTRL+N is the same, or click a link that targets _blank, or even click the shortcut again to start a new browser.

has it always done this or has it just started happening recently?

There is a setting under Tools, Internet options, advanced, and "re-use windows for launching shortcuts" but I'm not sure that would affect file, new, window as that's not a shortcut.

Can't find much on MS's website on this.
    You could try "restore defaults" from the advanced page and see if that fixes it.
    Have you all the IE updates installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Run AdAware. Delete any IE extensions by alexa.

• Advertisement

Kananga, Just started happening yesterday afternoon, all IE updates installed, 'Re-use windows for launching shortcuts' unchecked, Restore Defaults had no effect. Tried a reinstall of IE from scratch, and all no joy.

Moridin, Adaware comes up clean. As does AVG.

Luc

Hmm, found this on a google:

Subject: When I launch an instance of IE6, it seems to launch the next instance of the window, but then it closes it and launches the new one over the existing one. Thus, I can't have multiple instances of I.E. running. Very frustrating.

Solution: Yahoo Companion.
    I uninstalled it and I'm now able to open new windows (Ctrl-N or File/new/window)

That must be it. Exact same behaviour, and they'd installed something Yahoo-ey, they said it was Messanger tho.

Just as a matter of interest, what search critera did you use to churn that up from Google?

Thanks moridin and Kananga for the help and suggestions.

Luc

ah I made the mistake of using Copernic instead of google!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Lucutus
    That must be it. Exact same behaviour, and they'd installed something Yahoo-ey, they said it was Messanger tho.
    Luc

Yahoo messenger has the option to install some yahoo extension thing at the same time.

Advertisement