Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's been several days...

Options
  • 16-05-1999 4:27am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Whadaya think everybody?

Of course I mean Quake 3!

I'm well impressed. It's fast, furious, nice to look at and above all, FUN! (something that's been sadly lacking in Irish Quake for a while).

I can't wait for the full release!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    homepage.tinet.ie/~davitt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

It is a very pretty looking game but it's nothing new. It's Quake with better graphics and some Quake2 weapons. Same indoors shooter thingy and it's getting old. There are too many of them. I have to say something like Tribes is a lot more enjoyable. Outdoor fighting, using jetpacks to fly straight up to dodge instead of strifing left or right, "skiiing" (you have to play it to know what this means), armor types, teamplay etc, it just offers so much more. Something new... Frankly, the exagerated smoke trails in Quake3, the flashes and the glare are just too much. They are over-doing it with the eye-candy and that's what's really new in Quake3.

Check out some screenshots of Tribes2 which can be found in all the major Tribes web-site.

tribes2_01.jpg

tribes2_02.jpg

It looks blurred cause it was taken with a camera in E3...I think!

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 16-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

well when Tribes came out i thought it was cool, but still fell back on q1, the old faithful. like i said b4, one of the main reasons ppl are gonna move to q3 is the boredom with same ol' same ol'.
    and another thing thats deadly, is that now when u go to the q3 servers, you see ppl like lorcan, gandy etc fighting spoonman, kindred and other q2ers, q3 is like pitching q1 against q2. its class. true, there is a lot of eye candy, but apart from a few bugs, there is also class playability which q1ers felt was lacking in q2.
    q3 is gonna take over. you cant even get a game of q1 with the muppets on the lan here anymore, everyone is playin q3.
    this summer is gonna be fun. indeed.
    p.s. osi, share out those allbrights smile.gif

Zero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Z, you vastly overestimate the ability of the Quake series to pull the punters. The fact is, newbies to Quake and Quake2 are a rare thing, and I suspect that Quake3 won't bring in very many either. However, this isn't a problem with online gaming, as such, it's just Quake's gameplay, which only has very limited appeal. When competing with Tribes/Tribes2 (I've seen the E3 rolling demo and it took me half an hour to clean the drool off the floor), RTS games, football games, racing games, and even more unusual FPS games like TF2, Quake may be the granddaddy of them all, but it's also falling about a bit on it's zimmerframe.

That isn't to say that it isn't a fun blast - I like Quake3 a lot, and that's partially because of it's simplicity. But for most new people, that wears off. Fast.

Net gaming got an unwritten ultimatum late last year - diversify or die. Luckily, it seems to have chosen to diversify. Apart from all the games which are now being played online, we will soon have console gamers among us, as all the next-gen consoles are internet-ready. And you can bet your life on one thing....

They won't be playing Quake.

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

yah i saw that tribes2 avi in nethouse last night and i was well impressed. Especially with thay lightening...oh ahhhh. etc..

Cardinal Fang, fetch...the comfy chair!
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Heh, Zero that took me like 10 mins to make the two of them....lazy ba$tard tongue.gif
    Think I'll sign them, so every knows where they came from wink.gif
    Btw...that's a will do there

• Advertisement
Advertisement